• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Millar´s Book

a little undecided
he's yet to finish his career, so it feels like it's a bit early to have one - much like Cav's
I'd rather read the whole story than just a part of it.
but his story of his early days and explanations of the lead up to d*ping might be interesting (just not sure how truthful/exagerated it may be)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
a little undecided
he's yet to finish his career, so it feels like it's a bit early to have one - much like Cav's
I'd rather read the whole story than just a part of it.
but his story of his early days and explanations of the lead up to d*ping might be interesting (just not sure how truthful/exagerated it may be)

Well Cav's book came out when he was what, 24? at least DM waited till he was 34 and edging towards the end of his career, having said that hasn't Wiggins got two books out already?_?

Seems riders these days don't understand what their retirement is for ;)

David Millar

the book is available for pre-order from Amazon for mid June delivery.

should be a good read as he has been through a lot in his career and dont think he will pull any punches ???

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
No desire to read that Dandy's book. What is it with the Brit cyclists and their desire to write autobiographies way too early?

Astana1 said:
No desire to read that Dandy's book. What is it with the Brit cyclists and their desire to write autobiographies way too early?

A healthy advance from the publisher normally helps! ;) It's not only cyclists though, a lot of major British sport stars have written books long before retirement.

This should be a good read.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Astana1 said:

Autobiographies (and celebrity books in general) are big sellers in Britain.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I usually avoid autobiographies on the grounds that they're unlikely to be objective. Also, I would much rather have seen a Millar bio after his career had ended as I'm sure he has held a lot back for fear of upsetting people/making enemies.

That said, he's an intelligent and interesting chap and writes well. This isn't a ghost-written hack job and he's been 'mentored' (for want of a better word) by Jeremy Whittle, author of Bad Blood, so it should be a good read. Will probably wait for the paperback or see if I can blag it from the library.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I preface this post by saying I believe Lance Armstrong 100% doped like every other top rider throughout the 90's and possibly even to this day. With that said, you, Mr. Millar, are a hypocrit! You have the nerve to say today that if Lance Armstrong doped his actions should be "unforgiveable". I laugh at you. You doped, still never won anything significant outside of a few cheap World TT championships when nobody else showed up, went down in disgrace when you got CAUGHT by the French police, served your suspension and came back where you were welcomed by the peloton, fans and the media. Then you write a book to make money on how you doped. You achieved forgiveness and fortune then say LA shouldn't be forgiven? Lance meanwhile, true to his competitive nature and pride will never admit he doped, why should he? Everyone else doped too, he won fair and square. Maybe traveling the world to raise millions and millions of dollars for cancer research isn't enough for you. Maybe Lance inspiring millions of people to Live Strong isn't enough for you. What have you ever done other than sell a book for monetary gain to help society? Mr. Millar you should be ashamed of yourself and you should choose your words carefully on whom you speak against. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Oh, by the way, win something already, you're overrated as a bicycle racer.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello Papafrog. I tried to get you one of these in the appropriate shade of yellow, but they were fresh out.

TROLL-BANK-GR1.jpeg

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
papafrog said:
I preface this post by saying I believe Lance Armstrong 100% doped like every other top rider throughout the 90's and possibly even to this day. With that said, you, Mr. Millar, are a hypocrit! You have the nerve to say today that if Lance Armstrong doped his actions should be "unforgiveable". I laugh at you. You doped, still never won anything significant outside of a few cheap World TT championships when nobody else showed up, went down in disgrace when you got CAUGHT by the French police, served your suspension and came back where you were welcomed by the peloton, fans and the media. Then you write a book to make money on how you doped. You achieved forgiveness and fortune then say LA shouldn't be forgiven? Lance meanwhile, true to his competitive nature and pride will never admit he doped, why should he? Everyone else doped too, he won fair and square. Maybe traveling the world to raise millions and millions of dollars for cancer research isn't enough for you. Maybe Lance inspiring millions of people to Live Strong isn't enough for you. What have you ever done other than sell a book for monetary gain to help society? Mr. Millar you should be ashamed of yourself and you should choose your words carefully on whom you speak against. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Oh, by the way, win something already, you're overrated as a bicycle racer.

I became addicted to this sport because of lance.

I enjoyed every single attack he made, I enjoyed watching the others suffer when they tried to stay with him. lance was supreme.

If he doped as much as the others, I agree 100% with you in that regard. Also, he didn't raise millions just for the cancer, he also raised millions for his own pockets. however, that has nothing to do with his performance am I am not in this forum to condemn those kinds of options. I am here to condemn those who cheat when racing.

By those who cheat, I do not mean those that used epo in the epo era but those who had an unfairly advantage and lance had big one, just like merckx.

Special treatment, most likely a special drug(it isn't proved, I know), an equally unfair advantage in his totally doped team (advantages coming from special treatment by the uci and doctors as well) etc. endless list.

facts are coming up. you know them. however here is your dogma,

do you really give a damn about them?do you really want to wake up? or are you going to believe he won fair and square? what are you going to say?

----------

about millar,

I am no hypocrite. I really don't see what his moral is to speak like that against doping IF he was riding against clean riders OR against a field with the same level regarding medicine's help. however, like I said early it wasn't fair and square with armstrong.

No matter what happens, I will see those that condemn the likes of armstrong but adore those like merckx as pure hypocrites. that's for sure.

but I condemn both.

(how can millar be overrated? he is a gret TTer, with the qualities of a great TTer. he is in the second line (with others like martin) just behind fabian.)

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
GWAR79 said:
another brit writing about himself before his career is even over. SIGH

the worst = Cashly A 'ole

fixed that for you.

wayne rooney got a book deal in 5 parts iirc. i think he's 1 volume in. it's possible that some have subsequently been cancelled. it's worth remembering that WR is barely literate.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mr C&C fan, I believe Lance doped and that every other GC contender doped. Therefore, I conclude that LA won his Tours fair and square. I don't see how it can be concluded that he could have doped "more" than the others. EPO is EPO and blood doping is blood doping. The biggest domestiques all doped on all teams also, that's just the way it is. Before 2000 there wasn't even a test for EPO, all you had to do was keep your hematocrit below 50 which any simpleton could even do while doping.
As far as Lance earning millions, yes, he has but he's done a lot of good for society and to single him out for being what's wrong with cycling because he won the most or is the most famous isn't right, he is certainly part of the problem, just like Millar was (is!). Do you think Millar would have ever confessed if he wasn't caught with doping products? No, he was just like Lance, hiding the truth until he got caught red handed but now he thinks it's somehow Lance's responsibility to come clean if he doped. Millar is certainly no Frankie Andreu, as far as I know Frankie is the only rider off the top of my head who came clean without ever actually being caught. I'm not saying Lance is a saint and I'm not advocating anyone even like Lance but I am saying Millar should reconsider his revisionist history.
Ok, Millar is an ok TT guy, I'll give you that. Woo hoo! :)