• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did Armstrong try to silence Landis?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Interesting article - thanks for posting. So, LA apparently called Bahati. Wonder if he was trying to get Floyd fired or what?

Also, it was very cool of Floyd to purchase his recording device at RadioShack. :D :p

thehog said:
It looks that way. And who came up with a word Floyd-brication? That's bad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m..._as_lance_armstrong_accusations_if_court.html

It sounds more like Mr. Johnson tried to silence Floyd the way this story reads. I see a third hand account of a phone call from LA to Bahati, is that your basis for the surmising LA tried to silence Floyd. I have no doubt he tried but I don't see it in the article, maybe he was calling Bahati to discuss the hip-hop culture. Floyd-brication, it really is not smooth.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
It sounds more like Mr. Johnson tried to silence Floyd the way this story reads. I see a third hand account of a phone call from LA to Bahati, is that your basis for the surmising LA tried to silence Floyd. I have no doubt he tried but I don't see it in the article, maybe he was calling Bahati to discuss the hip-hop culture. Floyd-brication, it really is not smooth.

That is the big news in this article - Landis spoke with USA Cycling CEO Steven Johnson as far back as 2007.

"It was your perception, having had these discussions, that USAC would not undertake any internal investigation or review."

Of course Johnson was made CEO in a deal Thom Wiesel didwith USAC:
Johnson, the widely quoted USA Cycling official, appears to suffer from a serious conflict of interest between his organization's role as a doping cop and his personal, institutional, and financial ties to the diversified business world surrounding Lance Armstrong. Financier Weisel is Armstrong's longtime patron, employer, investment manager, and friend. Weisel is also Johnson's longtime patron and friend and the founder of a nonprofit entity that employs him.

JRTinMA said:
...maybe he was calling Bahati to discuss the hip-hop culture.

Sources close to the investigation have stated that after Bahati was contacted by Armstrong, he decided to hire legal representation. When word got back to Armstrong as to who would represent Bahati in any future legal proceedings, the phone calls mysteriously stopped...

of3qfs.jpg

"The Law Office of Brother Mouzone...when mere intimidation is not enough".

For me the interesting point is the recording device that Floyd used. As I suspect this plan was devised way back in January. Its my understanding that several conversations have been recorded. I've heard but cannot confirm that wiretaps were put in place well before March. Floyd's recordings can't be used for much as both parties need to agree to the recordings but the taps will prove interesting. Especially those recorded in Europe. The case is becoming more significant not just because of Armstrong but finally the networks throughout Europe that provide the substances may finally be broken down. Something WADA could never do on their own. Expect to see strange results in the Vuelta. Bravo Floyd. Thank-you.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
To be quite honest, some of these theories, as real as they may see, make it appear as though Flayd Landis was completely paranoid. It really makes you wonder what the reason for that may be. Did he either expect some form of retribution from Armstrong, or is it a sign of his mental distress.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Floyd-brications is pathetic - must try very much harder. The 'Master of Disaster' seems rather poor value for money to me.
Yes it is pathetic. But those pathetic labels have been working wonders for Fabricat-ani for years now. His target media tend to love them. Sorry, that's the best I could do with a hyphen. I'm new at this. Flab-iani? Fabio-ani? I give up.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
To be quite honest, some of these theories, as real as they may see, make it appear as though Flayd Landis was completely paranoid. It really makes you wonder what the reason for that may be. Did he either expect some form of retribution from Armstrong, or is it a sign of his mental distress.

Nice one. Not too subtle, though.

I think he knew what to expect as retribution given the sport he chose to participate it. Unless, of course, you think the Omerta in cycling is fictional.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:

Landis is probably no different than many other whistler blowers. In the beginning, you're all alone, and fearful how the "system" you're about to expose will respond to or retaliate at you. It's hard to trust anyone. Landis did not have legal representation at the time. He knew or suspected that people at US Cycling were friendly with Armstrong. Same with the TOC organizer. Armstrong was known to attack his accusers. You start recording conversations for defensive purposes - he probably had no plan to try to use the recordings for any sort of prosecution, as inadmissible as they would be anyhow.

You've got to hand it to Landis for being brave enough to go through this. He must have been very nervous and all the labeling of being an untrustworthy character must have been hurtful. His cycling team folded. Slowly, things started working his way, the press took notice, the proscecutors who were already looking at Rock Racing got interested. It's hard to see how Landis would have or could have done this with any sort of a plan in mind. Motivation was probably half revenge, half to clear his own conscience after concluding that lying and sticking with the omerta paid no dividends in his case.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
jimmypop said:
Nice one. Not too subtle, though.

I think he knew what to expect as retribution given the sport he chose to participate it. Unless, of course, you think the Omerta in cycling is fictional.

Yes, but my point was more about what kind of retribution, as he no longer had a real career in cycling, and nothing to lose in a lawsuit, also there is no way Lance could start a lawsuit, just based on his opinion that Landis his statements are lies.. Thus the regular types of retribution by LA would not be applicable to Landis.

And my god, am I now seen as a Lance fanboy trying to attack Landis? Some of the people here are getting stranger and stranger. I am just intrigued by Landis his state of mind and his thought process in this case.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
Yes, but my point was more about what kind of retribution, as he no longer had a real career in cycling, and nothing to lose in a lawsuit, also there is no way Lance could start a lawsuit, just based on his opinion that Landis his statements are lies.. Thus the regular types of retribution by LA would not be applicable to Landis.

And my god, am I now seen as a Lance fanboy trying to attack Landis? Some of the people here are getting stranger and stranger. I am just intrigued by Landis his state of mind and his thought process in this case.

Landis' accusations were particularly hurtful to Armstrong. First hand knowledge from a close former teammate. Doping, bribery, shady financial dealings. It's possible to push someone over the edge and cause them to do something irrational or illegal - certainly anything to hit Landis back with either figuratively or literally. And if there was any direct or indirect communication between Armstrong and Landis after the emails were shared privately, that could have been the message - or more likely implied. Can't blame Landis for being paranoid in that situation.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
That is the big news in this article - Landis spoke with USA Cycling CEO Steven Johnson as far back as 2007.

Of course Johnson was made CEO in a deal Thom Wiesel didwith USAC:

It'll be interesting to see how Johnson fares if he is found to be actually supressing an investigation. He's supposed to be paid with public dollars, not defending a private interest and could be a pressure point to get at Weisel. It's long been suspected but not brought up in mainstream press that he may as well be a direct employee of Tailwind.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Tubeless said:
Landis' accusations were particularly hurtful to Armstrong. First hand knowledge from a close former teammate. Doping, bribery, shady financial dealings. It's possible to push someone over the edge and cause them to do something irrational or illegal - certainly anything to hit Landis back with either figuratively or literally. And if there was any direct or indirect communication between Armstrong and Landis after the emails were shared privately, that could have been the message - or more likely implied. Can't blame Landis for being paranoid in that situation.

I fully agree with that last line.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What do you mean by this. Who do you expect to perform above/ below par and why?

Simple:
Those who perform above expectation are suspicious.
Those who perform below expectations are suspicious.

As this covers everyone - it is easy to claim 'I told you so' in future posts.

I enjoy most of 'The Hogs' posts - but this with 'wiretaps' that may or may not have happened and some of these in Europe has exceeded the limit of the forum 'Passport' - his subscription is due.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
It'll be interesting to see how Johnson fares if he is found to be actually supressing an investigation. He's supposed to be paid with public dollars, not defending a private interest and could be a pressure point to get at Weisel. It's long been suspected but not brought up in mainstream press that he may as well be a direct employee of Tailwind.

Kindof sortof;

Here is the SEC info from a Weisel company 'Weisel Thomas Partners Group' - and Mr.Johnson gets a few mentions there.

As the Wire has been mentioned previously:
Det. Lester Freaman.
"You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don't know where the fuck it's gonna take you".