• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BullsFan22 said:
Breaking a Bulgarian held world record in the 100m hurdles, one that stood for 28 years, having withstood thousands of attempts by not-so-clean top of the rankings, world class runners, is slightly suspicious, is it not?

The American T&F qualifiers/nationals were pretty ridiculous. I regretted recording them. As always, I'm sure there were some clean athletes there, but some of the events were unreal. (ex. Gatlin)

BullsFan22 said:
Did anybody catch Kendra Harrison's world record in the 100m hurldes the other day? One of the longest standing track and field records (set by a Bulgarian in 1988) was finally broken. Harrison isn't even going to the Olympics. Obviously she didn't place in the top 3 at US Nationals, but when was the last time a world record holder wasn't going to the olympics (injuries/suspensions/illness aside)?

Breaking a Bulgarian held world record in the 100m hurdles, one that stood for 28 years, having withstood thousands of attempts by not-so-clean top of the rankings, world class runners, is slightly suspicious, is it not?

How does this work? What if she won every race for the last three years but came 6th in the trials, would that mean she wouldn't go the Olympics?

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
BullsFan22 said:
Did anybody catch Kendra Harrison's world record in the 100m hurldes the other day? One of the longest standing track and field records (set by a Bulgarian in 1988) was finally broken. Harrison isn't even going to the Olympics. Obviously she didn't place in the top 3 at US Nationals, but when was the last time a world record holder wasn't going to the olympics (injuries/suspensions/illness aside)?

How does this work? What if she won every race for the last three years but came 6th in the trials, would that mean she wouldn't go the Olympics?

The idea must be that if she can't compete under real pressure, then she's no good for USA in the olympics

AlbineVespuzzio said:
Poursuivant said:
BullsFan22 said:

The idea must be that if she can't compete under real pressure, then she's no good for USA in the olympics

It's the American system. It's unfortunate...especially in a technical event like the sprint hurdles, where one tiny mistake can cost you massively. At least they know what the selection policy is though. Things aren't so clear cut in the UK.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The Russians don't need to worry, any banned athletes can be replaced by.....

Putin-Olympia-Satire.jpg

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
'Conte complied with Pound’s request. He named the following: coach Alberto Salazar and distance runners Galen Rupp and Mo Farah; sprinter Carmelita Jeter and hurdler Jason Richardson under John Smith; and Jamaican speedsters Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake and their coach, Glen Mills.'

No surprises there...and the majority are still around.

'Reflecting on the issue in broader terms, Conte added, “I believe positive drug tests are bad for business, but I believe that there are people at the very highest levels who are in essence looking the other way. And I know for a fact that there’s been a lot of positive drug tests that have been covered up . . .”'

Positive drug tests are seen as bad for business...let the games begin.

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Interesting article on Justin Gatlin.

I couldn't help but notice similarities in the narrative around his late-career resurgence with some of the stuff that surrounds Sky:

Losing weight/more science
Under Mitchell’s direction, Gatlin has lost roughly 30 pounds; the science of sprinting increasingly has come to recognize that leg strength — not being top-heavy — is what counts.

Smarter training/mental determination
"Any person who has watched this kid, who knows track and field, can see the technique changes,” Mitchell said, adding a moment later, “2014 is the year he woke up smart. He put his mind to it and went for it.”

Race strategy is everything
"When I step on the track, my percentage of worrying about opponents in the race has dropped significantly,” Gatlin said. “All I worry about is executing my technique, executing my race strategy and competing against time.”

Wouldn't risk career/family by doping
To assume that Gatlin is cheating is to believe he would risk his new Nike deal. Mitchell, too, has a new deal, and he and his wife have a baby.

Motivational slogans
In his home bathroom, Gatlin said, he has hung what he calls a “vision board,” posts of what he wants to achieve.

Full article: http://www.3wiresports.com/2015/08/20/justin-gatlin-and-a-run-for-redemption/

Russia to take 250 athletes to Rio. I don't know if this is the final number, but considering they were virtually out of the Olympics entirely, this isn't a disaster, although on July 1st, they were expecting around 380. 250 might yet increase, so we'll see.

One of the many failings of WADA is that by not allowing Russians that have previously failed doping tests/had suspensions due to doping infringements, they could be looked at hypocrites for letting people like Merritt, Gay, Gatlin, Blake, Ohurogou, etc compete. Plus the Jamaicans, Kenyans, Turks, French, Greeks, Spanish, etc all avoided punishment even though they were deemed 'non-compliant,' in earlier WADA reports. WADA, on one hand, tries to act as if they are doing their job(s) once in a blue moon, but on the other, they build themselves holes and the bureaucracy and hypocrisy get the better of them.

Yokohama said:
Interesting article on Justin Gatlin.

I couldn't help but notice similarities in the narrative around his late-career resurgence with some of the stuff that surrounds Sky:

Losing weight/more science
Under Mitchell’s direction, Gatlin has lost roughly 30 pounds; the science of sprinting increasingly has come to recognize that leg strength — not being top-heavy — is what counts.

Smarter training/mental determination
"Any person who has watched this kid, who knows track and field, can see the technique changes,” Mitchell said, adding a moment later, “2014 is the year he woke up smart. He put his mind to it and went for it.”

Race strategy is everything
"When I step on the track, my percentage of worrying about opponents in the race has dropped significantly,” Gatlin said. “All I worry about is executing my technique, executing my race strategy and competing against time.”

Wouldn't risk career/family by doping
To assume that Gatlin is cheating is to believe he would risk his new Nike deal. Mitchell, too, has a new deal, and he and his wife have a baby.

Motivational slogans
In his home bathroom, Gatlin said, he has hung what he calls a “vision board,” posts of what he wants to achieve.

Full article: http://www.3wiresports.com/2015/08/20/justin-gatlin-and-a-run-for-redemption/

This has SKY written all over it. As I was reading this, I couldn't help but think that 'this has got to be an NBC story.' Much to my chagrin, it wasn't! I am sure we'll hear some very 'inspirational' and 'motivating' stories from NBC though. Particularly how people like Gatlin and Gay turned the page, served their punishment, grew as men, found out a lot about themselves and their bodies, persevered and won medals while clean!!

armchairclimber said:
AlbineVespuzzio said:
Poursuivant said:
BullsFan22 said:

It's the American system. It's unfortunate...especially in a technical event like the sprint hurdles, where one tiny mistake can cost you massively. At least they know what the selection policy is though. Things aren't so clear cut in the UK.

America has massive strength in depth, especially in the sprint events and other sports like swimming, The U.K has to have a different policy to ensure their best athletes are at the games.

Pete

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
This has SKY written all over it. As I was reading this, I couldn't help but think that 'this has got to be an NBC story.' Much to my chagrin, it wasn't! I am sure we'll hear some very 'inspirational' and 'motivating' stories from NBC though. Particularly how people like Gatlin and Gay turned the page, served their punishment, grew as men, found out a lot about themselves and their bodies, persevered and won medals while clean!!

I wonder if that narrative is more commonplace in the US than in Europe. The fallen hero. Purgatory. Redemption and the path home.

Forgiveness; the return of the prodigal son...?

Yokohama said:
BullsFan22 said:

I wonder if that narrative is more commonplace in the US than in Europe. The fallen hero. Purgatory. Redemption and the path home.

Forgiveness; the return of the prodigal son...?

I think this sort of narrative is more commonplace in the US. A lot of people like a good 'comeback' story and NBC will lap this up, among other things. NBC loves drama and they love pushing the 'brave American' narrative, and the people like that.

I am interested to see how they cover the Russian doping scandal. Will they employ the typical 'holier-than-thou' narrative, or will they be more careful and selective in what the say and how they say it? If the coverage of Sochi is any indication, where it was quite a lot of anti-Russian sentiment, then we are in for a treat!

Yokohama said:

Haha. That Alan Abrahamson laying it on thick again.

Alan is a huge IAAF/IOC troll constantly defending doping and corruption. Here's a crazy one: http://www.3wiresports.com/2016/05/05/cant-just-lower-volume/
Dennis Mitchell's positive was a misunderstanding according to Alan.

I think his wife is a CAS lawyer too. I could be wrong.
http://www.tas-cas.org/en/arbitration/list-of-arbitrators-general-list.html?GenSlct=2&nmIpt=&nltSlc[0]=242&cHash=9fba854dcee20f69b6de18ba4388a0db

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
I think this sort of narrative is more commonplace in the US. A lot of people like a good 'comeback' story and NBC will lap this up, among other things. NBC loves drama and they love pushing the 'brave American' narrative, and the people like that.

I am interested to see how they cover the Russian doping scandal. Will they employ the typical 'holier-than-thou' narrative, or will they be more careful and selective in what the say and how they say it? If the coverage of Sochi is any indication, where it was quite a lot of anti-Russian sentiment, then we are in for a treat!

Yes I wonder how that will go. Just took a look at an old Sports Illustrated from '88. I hadn't realised D|ck Pound was doing some sterling work at the IOC prior to WADA:

Richard Pound, a Canadian lawyer who is a vice-president of the IOC, interviewed Johnson, as well as Canadian track and field officials, and told SI's Crosbie Cotton, "Ben says he hasn't taken anything. As far as I can tell, he has no knowledge of anything. His body may be guilty, but his mind is innocent."

Surely someone needs to tell the Russians to brush up on the philosophical aspects of mind/body dualism; it might work as a last stop excuse...

Yokohama said:
BullsFan22 said:

Yes I wonder how that will go. Just took a look at an old Sports Illustrated from '88. I hadn't realised D|ck Pound was doing some sterling work at the IOC prior to WADA:

Richard Pound, a Canadian lawyer who is a vice-president of the IOC, interviewed Johnson, as well as Canadian track and field officials, and told SI's Crosbie Cotton, "Ben says he hasn't taken anything. As far as I can tell, he has no knowledge of anything. His body may be guilty, but his mind is innocent."

Surely someone needs to tell the Russians to brush up on the philosophical aspects of mind/body dualism; it might work as a last stop excuse...

Doubt they are making an excuse. Though if there is one, it's that the Americans have had systematic cover ups as well, and yet they were never punished for it.

Nice that you have Ben Johnson and the 1988 scandal. Johnson may have denied things in the aftermath of his positive, but says that the Americans didn't appreciate him kicking their ass and they took it upon themselves to get him DQ'd, for doping. Now that we know that Carl Lewis and pretty much everyone else in that final was doping, Ben's belief that he was made a scapegoat is very valid and I do feel a little sorry for him. Lewis still hasn't admitted to taking drugs, even though we know he did, and that he was just one of many Americans who had their positive tests wiped away and they were allowed to compete in Seoul and beyond. He still calls Johnson out after all these years and essentially calls Johnson 'butthurt' for saying 'everyone else was doping as well.'
And Richard Pound, I didn't realize he was a lawyer, well, no wonder he picked his Canadian buddy McLaren to lead the investigation regarding the Russians. Though I have to ask him, why nothing was investigated on from the mid to late 80's and up until the early 2000's regarding American doping and cover ups? I have already shared several links regarding Wade Exum exposing the corruption, and in some of those articles, Pound was interviewed and said that it only confirms his suspicion regarding the Americans. Well, why didn't he try to do something, seeing he was one of the IOC heads? I doubt that McLaren wasn't available at the time.