Doping In Athletics

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 17, 2016
Re:

Saint Unix said:
So the fastest man in the world is 35 years old. I can't wait for the olympics in 2024 when he's Chris Horner's age. These Americans age like a fine wine.

The fastest man in the World over 100m is still only 30 (for 3 more weeks). This year's fastest man is only 21.

Apart from that, well done on being able to use a keyboard to communicate. Easier than grunting.

Re: Re:

GreasyChain said:
Saint Unix said:
So the fastest man in the world is 35 years old. I can't wait for the olympics in 2024 when he's Chris Horner's age. These Americans age like a fine wine.

The fastest man in the World over 100m is still only 30 (for 3 more weeks). This year's fastest man is only 21.

Apart from that, well done on being able to use a keyboard to communicate. Easier than grunting.
Both the 30 year old and the 21 year old were there and couldn't beat the 35 year old in a race that is literally only about being fast. That means they're not the fastest. Results from two months ago or nine years ago or whatever don't mean anything. The fastest man in the World today is Justin Gatlin and he has a big, fat, shiny gold medal to prove it.

Also, it must be nice to be extremely intelligent like you. I can only imagine what that feels like. Grunt grunt.

It's been a while since track running made me larf, but yeah, Mo's and Gatlin's runs made me larf.

You just have to have a sense of humor about this kind of a spectacle, I do feel for those who have tried to compete clean, though.

PS - Why Bolt never got busted I'll never know.

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
It's been a while since track running made me larf, but yeah, Mo's and Gatlin's runs made me larf.

You just have to have a sense of humor about this kind of a spectacle, I do feel for those who have tried to compete clean, though.

PS - Why Bolt never got busted I'll never know.
Too popular.

GuyIncognito said:
Craigee said:
terribleone said:
Last k in 2:39 and Cram mentioned in one of his last training sessions he ran a 50sec 400 which is mental. The Ethiopian, Kenyans & Ugandans chucked in 62, 61, 63's for the entire race pretty much. Think the slowest lap was a 66. Then on a parade lap with the family, a cute PR move. Hopefully the FBI & USADA aren't too touched by it.

And guess whose presenting the gold medal to Farah!?! PRESIDENT LORD SEB COE! *pssst, we've got yer back Mo...* Oh my gawd...
Don't expect high morals from Lord Coe. He is after all a descendant from slave owners in the Caribbean Islands.
Hang everyone who is descended from someone who ever did anything questionable. It's only logical.

did anything questionable? Nice way of describing slavery.

We are all products of our breeding.

BigMac said:
This cancer of a tabloid has hit a new low.

I mean, the scumbags will cry about it, with all their fake indignation, would never expect any different.

What is important now is to get to the end of the games without Gatlin failing a test. Coleman coming 2nd helps him, but even then the story of "Bolt passes legacy to new hero" is preferable for them than anything involving Gatlin.

If Gatlin does get through the games safe, this will be more powerful than anything these idiots can write. If a 35 year old who everyone knows cheated, and suspects is still cheating, can win the Worlds and pass all the tests, then how can they claim athletics is clean?

Very true. If Gatlin gets through scot free, either the testing is still broken or Gatlin is clean. In both cases the hate, booing and scathing newspaper articles are uncalled for, or at the very least directed at the wrong enemy.

Dec 18, 2013
Bingo, one failed test and lose your career....Gatlin should be flipping burgers somewhere not running for gold in the WCs.

...and people are within their rights to boo and jeer, nobody put a gun to Gatlins head and made him dope, he decided to cheat and deserves the suspicion and innuendo this victory has attracted...arguably the testing worked as it caught him twice, what the hell are the IAAF and USADA doing in letting him still compete?!

Aug 31, 2012
He did his time and came back and is incredibly clean now because Bolt is and Gatlin is passing the same test. What an inspiring story of redemption.

Re:

deviant said:
Bingo, one failed test and lose your career....Gatlin should be flipping burgers somewhere not running for gold in the WCs.

...and people are within their rights to boo and jeer, nobody put a gun to Gatlins head and made him dope, he decided to cheat and deserves the suspicion and innuendo this victory has attracted...arguably the testing worked as it caught him twice, what the hell are the IAAF and USADA doing in letting him still compete?!
Sorry to break the news to you, but athletics is corrupt and rotten to the core. It is full of doping and cheating, from the very bottom to the very top.

You are acting like Gatlin is some bad guy who walked into a fairytale land full of honorable people.

Incredible disrespect for the sport of Athletics for the BBC and media in general to present it, not as the major competitive event of the year for the sport, but as some sort of celebrity parade. Let's hope that the ridiculous arrogant posturing of lightning points and Ms on heads are finally finished with, and that there can be some respect for competition in coverage for a while.

Ouch!...Bolt gets a little testy with a hard question from a journalist at the post-race press conference. I thought it was a rhetorical question and he goes "Lance Armstrong" on the journalist. And Gatlin should just keep his mouth shut...he's lucky to be there. His 2nd positive went from a lifetime to 8 yr to 4 yr. Starts @ 6:30 in:

https://youtu.be/BlQkSyKv9BI

I understand Bolt, as the winner of those fast races that the reporter is referring to. She used a lot of words, but her question was basically "Were you faster before because you doped?"

That's probably the dumbest question I've heard from a reporter in sports this year. What did she expect them to answer?

I agree...it was a rhetorical question by her, but does Bolt have to be such an a%$hole about it? Why doesn't he acknowledge there's a strong history of doping in sprinting (who could have imagined, Lol) and at least answer it more professionally. He's pulling the Mo Farah BS; how dare does anyone "question my performances." Lol.

Nomad said:
I agree...it was a rhetorical question by her, but does Bolt have to be such an a%$hole about it? Why doesn't he acknowledge there's a strong history of doping in sprinting (who could have imagined, Lol) and at least answer it more professionally. He's pulling the Mo Farah BS; how dare does anyone "question my performances." Lol.
You find at these large sports events some of the media pack don't follow the sport - Or aren't on the regular media circuit following events - So in other words they are non-sporting media who have little knowledge about the sport - I would also give them short shrift.

Re:

Craigee said:
But honestly isn't this terrible advertising for athletics? If they had life bans Gatlin wouldn't be there and there would be less doping too.
Of course, but that's part of the reason that there's a bit of Schadenfreude on here about Gatlin winning. For the same reason as Vino winning at the London Olympic RR in front of Pat McQuaid was a glorious moment; the whole shebang was set out as a vindication of the great success of clean cycling, and would be a coronation for the new clean generation now that the dastardly doping era was behind us... only for the UCI's president, who'd been in on the whole preceding saga, to see it blow up in his face and have to hand the medal over to an unrepentant doper.

Similarly, here, the whole storyline of the veneration of the superstar who saves his sport (using the hyperbole that has been repeated ad nauseaum) against the dastardly spectre of doping has been clung to as a way of shielding a sport which is absolutely full of doping from the negative publicity, save for a few easy victims like the Russians. Many of the other dopers have not been vilified like Gatlin, and that's for a multitude of reasons, ranging from the charisma and global popularity of Bolt to the fact that the 100m is arguably the dirtiest of all track and field disciplines and also the most high profile. Gatlin's return to form left the media drawing an overly simplistic, child-like "good vs. evil" storyline that portrayed Bolt as the conquering clean hero saving the sport from the villainous cheat Gatlin. And as long as good triumphs in the end, they can sweep doping under the rug and say everything is fine. Not all dopers are characterized thus, but it's also this that makes Gatlin's victory so difficult for them to take. Because they've made him out to be a one-dimensional villain, and now he's won; he's been portrayed as a villain so much that they can't sell it as a redemption story (even Vino had the comeback from what had been thought to be a career-ending injury) and because they made so much of a big deal out of his previous bans, they can't gloss over them. Gatlin winning means they have to confront head-on the simple fact that drugs are still a major part of athletics. Because a Gatlin win cannot be claimed a win for clean competition; fans will never buy that. So questions will then follow about how it can have come to pass that Gatlin won. And those questions being asked are much more likely to help actually clean up the sport (although it would have to get much, much worse before it could get better) than Bolt vanquishing the evil doper and sending people home happily believing in fairytales.

Of course, it also will make a lot of the media who cheerlead athletes with suspect histories squirm, because they can't pretend all the dopers are being caught, and it will make a lot of the administrators and bigwigs squirm because if those questions are asked they may get dragged into it (see the infamous Sebastian Coe "were you corrupt or just incompetent?" question, which may be due a dust-off). But by singling Gatlin out as an anointed super-villain, they've made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

Craigee said:
GuyIncognito said:
Craigee said:
terribleone said:
Last k in 2:39 and Cram mentioned in one of his last training sessions he ran a 50sec 400 which is mental. The Ethiopian, Kenyans & Ugandans chucked in 62, 61, 63's for the entire race pretty much. Think the slowest lap was a 66. Then on a parade lap with the family, a cute PR move. Hopefully the FBI & USADA aren't too touched by it.

And guess whose presenting the gold medal to Farah!?! PRESIDENT LORD SEB COE! *pssst, we've got yer back Mo...* Oh my gawd...
Don't expect high morals from Lord Coe. He is after all a descendant from slave owners in the Caribbean Islands.
Hang everyone who is descended from someone who ever did anything questionable. It's only logical.

did anything questionable? Nice way of describing slavery.

We are all products of our breeding.
Most of the rich in the UK at one point had slaves, or at least those rich by family. Benedict Cumberbatch, David Cameron etc. I don't know if high morality is something inherited firstly, and secondly there were very few people who opposed slavery at the time of them owning slaves. Therefore it isn't a great reason at all for Coe being a ***.

Shouldn't a president remain fairly neutral, and not openly say he wanted Bolt to win? Doesn't that support imply (confirm) that he'd be willing to let Usain off the hook for a doping test? And why is Coe, someone who was in the thick of the past administration, now claiming that he is a god of clean sport and has always supported life bans?

This is not a IAAF problem. It's a USADA problem whereby Tygart provides leniency for athletes who have a vocal support of he Christian faith.

Gatlin is not only still competing but managed to have both positives reduced to 2 years. That's astounding.

Jul 1, 2013
This Gatlin/Bolt saga is my absolute sporting highlight of the year. Absolute disgrace to see all the thick idiots booing Gatlin during the 100m. For the last few years the UK media has perpetuated this bollox about good v evil and last night it came back and bit them on the arse. What a tosser Lord Coe is.

These idiots booing need to educate themselves. Anybody who believes in Bolt is living on cloud Cuckoo land !. *** me Bolt was congratulating Gatlin and whispering in his ear that he deserved the win and the crowd should not be booing. Thick as thieves !.

Sporting moment of 2017 IMO.

Jul 1, 2013
Saw a comment from somebody yesterday, they said they didn't know how to explain it to there children. *** morons, why not educate themselves and there Children on the facts !. They spend 10 seconds once a year on a subject and blurt a load of absurd naive ***.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B The Clinic 2
D The Clinic 9
Invicituz The Clinic 0

ASK THE COMMUNITY