• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Doping In Athletics

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 15, 2016
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
Don't know about doping but the finish of that women's 400m was suspect. Shaunae Miller-Uibo just stopped. Didn't look injured. Didn't look particularly gutted having lost an easy win
Jesus...is this a joke?
Why would it be? As the BBC pundits pointed out, if it was a serious injury she'd have been on the floor in agony. She got some mild treatment after I posted that but nothing so obvious that would basically stop her from running. It didn't look like an obvious stumble. It's really odd - I've never seen anything like that before. Weird results all over the shop in this World Championships

Re:

Bwlch y Groes said:
Don't know about doping but the finish of that women's 400m was suspect. Shaunae Miller-Uibo just stopped. Didn't look injured. Didn't look particularly gutted having lost an easy win
unusual is not the same as suspect, saying 'suspect' in the clinic implies that it looks like it has something to do with doping, how does this look like it has anything to do with doping?
It was one of the strangest things i've ever seen though, it was like a speeded up version of Jonny Brownlee at the end of his triathlon.

Aug 15, 2016

Singer01 said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
unusual is not the same as suspect, saying 'suspect' in the clinic implies that it looks like it has something to do with doping, how does this look like it has anything to do with doping?
I don't think it has anything to do with doping but I think it's a bit suspicious. I'm not saying she definitely threw the race but I think it has to be considered a possibility. Race-fixing never gets talked about in athletics but I'm sure it happens

Jul 11, 2013

Bwlch y Groes said:
Singer01 said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
I don't think it has anything to do with doping but I think it's a bit suspicious. I'm not saying she definitely threw the race but I think it has to be considered a possibility. Race-fixing never gets talked about in athletics but I'm sure it happens
Yes, I agree.

So does many athletes

http://thesportdigest.com/2017/07/study-nearly-35-percent-of-athletes-believe-matches-fixed/

Study: Nearly 35 Percent of Athletes Believe Matches Fixed

It surveyed more than 600 athletes in six European countries, including Austria, Cyprus, France, Great Britain, Greece and Ireland, about match-fixing and whether they have experienced it within their sport.

Athletes surveyed competed across 13 different sports, including athletics, badminton, basketball, football, gymnastics, handball, martial arts, rugby union, swimming, tennis, volleyball, water polo and weightlifting.

Preliminary results from the survey showed 20 percent of the athletes were aware of a fixed game in their sport during the past 12 months, while 12.6 percent reported that they were aware that they had been involved in a manipulated game.

In addition, early results also revealed that 15 percent of the athletes reported that they were approached within the last 12 months to fix a match with the majority manipulating a game due to financial difficulties or “to make easy money”.

Results from the forthcoming report, which is due to be released in full later this year, also highlighted the lack of trust shown by athletes towards the governing bodies, preventing them from reporting information about an incident of manipulation.
I think its a huge issue, together with doping and corruption it has to make a joke of sports.

Bwlch y Groes said:
Singer01 said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
i don't doubt that fixing does happen, but in the world championship final, in such a suspicious way?

Aug 18, 2016
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
I've gone camping the territory normally occupied by others and come up with something AMAZEBALLS!!! Try this for logic. We know as fact that British Cycling dope. As British Cycling dope for the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles, it follows that British Cycling would willingly share the secrets of their doping programme with British Athletics, for the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles, but since British Athletics are actually performing really **** here and not doing much by way of the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles it's pretty obvious that British Cycling are not sharing with them the secrets of their doping programme ... because it's all about motors, not drugs, proving not only that British Cycling are motor doping like crazy for the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles and have been motor doping like crazy for, like, years, but also that British Athletics doesn't have a doping programme and is sucking the proverbial totes clean.
Money and ego would make more sense than for Queen and country and patriotic warmth. In fact it is usually for money and ego.

Aug 18, 2016
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
I've gone camping the territory normally occupied by others and come up with something AMAZEBALLS!!! Try this for logic. We know as fact that British Cycling dope. As British Cycling dope for the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles, it follows that British Cycling would willingly share the secrets of their doping programme with British Athletics, for the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles, but since British Athletics are actually performing really **** here and not doing much by way of the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles it's pretty obvious that British Cycling are not sharing with them the secrets of their doping programme ... because it's all about motors, not drugs, proving not only that British Cycling are motor doping like crazy for the glory of Queen and country and the patriotic warmth engendered by all those bangles and baubles and have been motor doping like crazy for, like, years, but also that British Athletics doesn't have a doping programme and is sucking the proverbial totes clean.
just on the GB track cycling team maybe using motors since you brought it up here. The athletes wouldn't have to know would they? I for one would expect, not hope but expect that the UCI use proper testing methods for bike doping in Tokyo. It would be extremely suspicious if Mr Cookson is still president of the UCI and they don't do anything serious about testing the bikes.

Feb 19, 2013
It's going to super difficult for IAAF to promote a new "superstar of athletics" when all the juice has flown out of athletics and the results are *** DIRE. What was that men's 200m? 6 years back half of these times would not have qualified for the final (not verified haha)

Aug 8, 2012
Re:

I wouldn't be surprised if they popped Guliev just to give Wayde the gold anyway. :Neutral:

antonshipulin said:
It's going to super difficult for IAAF to promote a new "superstar of athletics" when all the juice has flown out of athletics and the results are **** DIRE. What was that men's 200m? 6 years back half of these times would not have qualified for the final (not verified haha)

Apr 22, 2012

Bwlch y Groes said:
Kokoso said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
Jesus...is this a joke?
Why would it be? As the BBC pundits pointed out, if it was a serious injury she'd have been on the floor in agony. She got some mild treatment after I posted that but nothing so obvious that would basically stop her from running. It didn't look like an obvious stumble. It's really odd - I've never seen anything like that before. Weird results all over the shop in this World Championships
She was just out of power, that's it. Because of that she made wrong step. Have you never seen it before? Nothing odd about that. I would even say nice, exemplar case. Basically stopped her from running? Have we even seen same race? She ran to the finish line. Not so fast as before, but ran.

Oct 16, 2010

Kokoso said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
Kokoso said:
Bwlch y Groes said:
Jesus...is this a joke?
She was just out of power, that's it. Because of that she made wrong step. Have you never seen it before? Nothing odd about that. I would even say nice, exemplar case. Basically stopped her from running? Have we even seen same race? She ran to the finish line. Not so fast as before, but ran.
To be fair, it looked dodgy not just to bwichygroes, but also to a bunch of others.
On twitter somebody just noticed that in her interview last night, she said it was "just a trip".
It didn't look like a trip to me. It looked more like a badly faked cramp or something.
Razzy-worthy.

I suggest that if you are being paid not to win a race, then you make sure you are as anonymous as hell - Which usually means running midfield or at the back of the race - YOU DON'T be at the head of the race.

Oct 16, 2010
Who said anything about her getting paid?
Pre-race positive -> "you can run, but make sure you don't podium"

Apr 3, 2016

Bwlch y Groes said:
Singer01 said:
Bwlch y Groes said:

Watch the video of her running the last 50 metres in slow motion. She's really struggling to raise her right knee, left leg looks just fine. This is not at all indicative of some one slowing down on purpose, unless she is a sublime actor. Most likely a cramp or some small muscle issue just preventing movement.

Nothing to see here.

Oct 16, 2010
You haven't had or seen many cramps in your life then. She didnt grab her leg to splint it. Nor any kind of stretching post finish as you would do for cramp.

Also, if it was a cramp why did she say she tripped.

Apr 3, 2016
Re:

sniper said:
You haven't had or seen many cramps in your life then. She didnt grab her leg to splint it. Nor any kind of stretching post finish as you would do for cramp.

Also, if it was a cramp why did she say she tripped.
Yeah fair enough on the cramp. There certainly is a small trip, however I maintain she doesn't look like shes raising her right leg properly which leads me to believe some sort of issue. Trip + poor running form after does not look like a case of race fixing to me in any way.

Oct 16, 2010
Poor running form after?
Miller-Uibo was equal fastest qualifier in the 200m.

The "I tripped" excuse, you cannot possibly take it seriously.
Observers were left guessing what happened. But nobody to my knowledge said "she tripped".
If anything, it looked like bad acting. Weder Fleisch noch Fisch.

If you can be bothered, rewatch Thompson in the women's 100 meter final.
Seems to just come up straight about 50/60m.
Johnson put it down to bad transition but it just looks odd.

On that note, I thought Makwala yesterday in the 200 meter final was 'running not to win', too.

And have you noticed Jamaican athletes (men/women) being almost completely absent from 200m running events?

Some of those issues maybe coincidence. But this being IAAF, and doping+cover-ups being rife, everything is possible.

Jul 11, 2013
Banning nations is idiocy and purely political/PR.

From a rational POV any athlete at top level have already made - and rationalized the decision to do what it takes to compete with the best.
Looking at history that involves doping, at the very least.

That doesnt mean we can't appreciate their efforts - and the entertainment as a whole. I am sure it isn't easy, even doped up to the gills.

The corruption, politics, blindfold and gross monetizing is more appaling to me than the dope per se. But everything is interlinked of course.

Oct 4, 2011
Re:

sniper said:
Poor running form after?
Miller-Uibo was equal fastest qualifier in the 200m.

The "I tripped" excuse, you cannot possibly take it seriously.
Observers were left guessing what happened. But nobody to my knowledge said "she tripped".
If anything, it looked like bad acting. Weder Fleisch noch Fisch.

If you can be bothered, rewatch Thompson in the women's 100 meter final.
Seems to just come up straight about 50/60m.
Johnson put it down to bad transition but it just looks odd.

On that note, I thought Makwala yesterday in the 200 meter final was 'running not to win', too.

And have you noticed Jamaican athletes (men/women) being almost completely absent from 200m running events?

Some of those issues maybe coincidence. But this being IAAF, and doping+cover-ups being rife, everything is possible.
Something def not right here. It does look like people throwing races but I'm left wondering why ? My first thought was betting but those guys(Bookies) call out any strange patterns so ruling that one out. Second thought was leaning towards athletes not wanting to be tested after winning (told not to win or they would come up positive).
The book should be open on who will be done for positives as Seb et al need to have a sacrificial lamb or two. Money on you might see a couple of women sprinters

Jul 11, 2013
There are many reasons why. See the link i posted above, on study showing massive athlete concern over match fixing. It is real.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS