• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

TheSpud said:
thehog said:
sniper said:
^^ that's a nice to the point summary of why this saga continues to stink to high heaven, why Coe must have known about corruption, and why not much will change, except corruption and 'anti'doping getting smarter as you say. More discretion, more prudence, more talking the talk, more targeted blacksheeping, larger carpets and rugs.

The coercion could have been applied also by Bach, I assume?
Btw, what do we know about Pound? If not a genuine brown bag, or some sort of blackmail, what else could be in it for him? Does he still have ambitions within IOC?

Pound has already been in the IOC as a VP and Presidential candidate. Pound is freelance now, he's not WADA. He is adept in tax law and his consultancy rates would be in the $100,000 per month region, probably more.

Pound swings by now and then, gets paid then leaves. He's doesn't need anything else. He will say what you want him to say and give it the authority and independence required.

The problem with all sports is that the ones at the top have come through the ranks. In reality that isn't that different from business, apart from the fact that it seems to be bad practice to go outside the gene pool when recruiting in sports.

Who do you want at the top? Someone who is experienced of course, where do you get that experience from ...

Where it differs is that the federations don't have shareholders to pay (unlike Corporations), therefore there is no-one to remove them if things go wrong. To be honest I cant see the alternative. Do we want the UCI to be a quoted PLC company? Beholden to shareholders? Profit before bad news???

I guess it is a case of being careful of what you wish for ...

Welcome back Spud :)

Compare and contrast Coe and Cookson: one a former Olympic gold medallist, one a former director of regeneration at Pendle Council. When Cookson ordered the Kroll investigators to raid the UCI offices it was to try and find out the truth of what had been going on, whatever the reputational damage to the sport. The most troubling aspect of Coe’s presidency is that he continues to seem much less interested in finding out the truth than in protecting its reputation.

link

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Compare and contrast Coe and Cookson: one a former Olympic gold medallist, one a former director of regeneration at Pendle Council. When Cookson ordered the Kroll investigators to raid the UCI offices it was to try and find out the truth of what had been going on, whatever the reputational damage to the sport. The most troubling aspect of Coe’s presidency is that he continues to seem much less interested in finding out the truth than in protecting its reputation.

link
it's not a bad parallel, but far from perfect.
Cookson ran against McQuaid and they threw shiploads of mud at each other during the election campaign.
Coe didn't run against Diack.
Also, by the time of the elections McQuaid had already been painfully exposed as a fraud per the USADA file.
So of course Cookson was going to act tough on Phat once elected president.
For all we know that Kroll raid was a cheap PR stunt.

That said, it's clear that Coe can learn a thing or two from Cookson in terms of scandal management and shoving doping under the rug.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

RobbieCanuck said:
Yes, the IAAF need to get the independent UCI in to show them how to do it properly with no leaks :rolleyes:

Hog - I understand your cynicism, but each international Olympic sport needs some kind of organisation to over see their affairs and run an anti-doping program! What would you recommend as opposed to merely being sarcastic? :rolleyes:

Never going to happen. Like asking the NRA to give up their guns.

I can watch sport quite easily, i just dont get emotional about the particpants. Why would i, knowing that they all dope?

Facts are not needed for a forum. But Coe's reactions and lack of them in favour of anti doping are facts. His treatment of the Stepanovs show he is not anti doping and that he is as corrupt as Diack at least morally if not financially.

Linford Christie: ‘When you lose trust you’ve got to start from scratch. There’s no other way. We need a purge’

Sure thing Linford, start again not bluff it out, taking the punters for mugs, that would be bad.

The Times gave him a load of rope . I don't pay to get behind the fire-wall so maybe someone else can advise the full content http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/celebrity/article4666703.ece

There appears to be a semi-summary here https://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-olympics-hero-linford-christie-152518725.html

However nobody could say Christie did not have a point http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2002/feb/09/athletics

Linford is re-integrated with a large sector of the speaking without thought and pouting part of the BBC. I caught a section of the One show where Davina McCall was blathering on about going somewhere with Linford, (swoon wasn't that good) ! And elsewhere http://www.standard.co.uk/news/fury-at-drug-cheat-linfords-olympic-role-6688526.html

Adidas to end IAAF sponsorship deal early in wake of doping crisis
Adidas, the IAAF's biggest sponsor, has told athletics' world governing body it is to terminate its sponsorship deal four years early.

The sportswear giant informed the IAAF of its decision - understood to be a direct result of the doping scandal sweeping the sport - last week.

Sources say the move will cost the IAAF and its commercial partner Dentsu tens of millions of dollars in revenue.

It is sure to come as a major blow for embattled president Lord Coe.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/35385415

Hit 'em where it hurts.......

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

arcus said:
Adidas, the IAAF's biggest sponsor, has told athletics' world governing body it is to terminate its sponsorship deal four years early.

The sportswear giant informed the IAAF of its decision - understood to be a direct result of the doping scandal sweeping the sport - last week.

Sources say the move will cost the IAAF and its commercial partner Dentsu tens of millions of dollars in revenue.

they will be back within 18 months, unless someone like Under Armour has bought up all the sponsorship packcages left vacant

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
i would think adidas' decision is merely a well calculated financial / PR-based decision.
f this were an ethical decision, there might soon be no one left to sponsor for adidas.

blackcat said:
arcus said:

they will be back within 18 months, unless someone like Under Armour has bought up all the sponsorship packcages left vacant

Maybe. Perhaps Nike will step in :p

It just encourages me that an international federation is seen to lose tens of millions because their poor governance was exposed. Sends a good message. Might make other federations feel like they have to get their house in order, or the bottom line will get hit. And money is what gets their attention.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Easy target.

What about FIFA and the ISL scandal? Of course they won't do anything about their long-term links to them as Horst Dassler established ISL in the first place.

Re:

sniper said:
i would think adidas' decision is merely a well calculated financial / PR-based decision.
f this were an ethical decision, there might soon be no one left to sponsor for adidas.

Doubt they are doing this just to save a few million.
Suspect it's part PR and part wanting to push the sport to be cleaner so their blue-chip company is not affiliated with liars and cheats. Nike are taking a PR hit over the Coe relationship and Nick Davies emails, especially in the wake of the Oregon Project allegations and their lamentable on-going relationship with Gatlin. They don't want to be in that position.

gooner said:
Easy target.

What about FIFA and the ISL scandal? Of course they won't do anything about their long-term links to them as Horst Dassler established ISL in the first place.

Good point.

Sadly, I think sports apparel companies know that profitable endorsements depend more on confidence in athletes vs. company officials, or those who govern sports. Concealing doping has a more negative impact than executive corruption. I suspect that is, in part, why they are so publicly distancing themselves from IAAF.

arcus said:
blackcat said:
arcus said:

I was joking :eek:

Nike poised to replace rivals adidas as iaaf sponsor

"Adidas has in recent years tried to position itself as being firmly anti-doping - some observers say as a deliberate tactic to point the finger at its main rivals Nike, who sponsor high-profile athletes who have served doping bans such as sprinter Justin Gatlin. Tyson Gay was dropped by adidas when he tested positive for a banned substance in 2013."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/nike-poised-to-replace-rivals-adidas-as-iaaf-sponsor-34395101.html

arcus said:
arcus said:
blackcat said:
arcus said:

I was joking :eek:

Nike poised to replace rivals adidas as iaaf sponsor

"Adidas has in recent years tried to position itself as being firmly anti-doping - some observers say as a deliberate tactic to point the finger at its main rivals Nike, who sponsor high-profile athletes who have served doping bans such as sprinter Justin Gatlin. Tyson Gay was dropped by adidas when he tested positive for a banned substance in 2013."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/nike-poised-to-replace-rivals-adidas-as-iaaf-sponsor-34395101.html

I can't believe you were joking - you MUST have realised that this was a very likely outcome? Didn't you? Sports Feds just DGAF. Not sure why no one understands this yet. They are above the law - a law unto themselves. No amount of posturing or threats will get them to GAF. Especially with the likes of Coe, Blatter, McQuaid, Cookson, Verbruggen et al. Go into any fed and they're all the same - previously used to be Max Mosley for F1 - equal sized ego and voluminous amounts of douchebaggery and corruption. MotoGP - Carmelo Ezpeleta - same deal.

The only positive may be that the conflict of interest between Coe and Nike sponsorship may be too great, and he will have to give up his personal sponsorship, but all that will really mean is brown paper bags at dawn.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
Adidas may have lost faith in athletics, but they are
still backing Team GB Cycling. Great to see our Sir
Brad and the lads in the red, white and blue Adidas
kit at the Mallorca Challenge. #ChaRIOtsOfFire :)

and Rapha

and
#MuscularChristianity
#RafaNadal

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
still backing Team GB...
#ChaRIOtsOfFire :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSav51fVlKU
the actor in profile looks like the German Irish actor Michael Fassbender... not the German director. The one on the shore, lots of Oscar Wilde love dareth not elements when they are running foreshore

we just needed some Redgrave rowing gordonstoun oxbridge and boatrace. #VangelisPapathanassiou but the composer sounds greek. (that aint meta with OscarWilde btw)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
oldcrank said:
still backing Team GB Cycling. Great to see our Sir
Brad and the lads in the red, white and blue Adidas
kit at the Mallorca Challenge. #ChaRIOtsOfFire :)

With Sir Cragi Reedie leading WADA, brits are not going to test positive, adidas backing a winning horse , they've loaded the saddles, the mickeys are slipped, the fix is in my friend.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Well adidas dropping their links to the IAAF is nothing in the context of the reported new deal with Real Madrid.

Along with their contrasting stance to FIFA and the ISL, it just proves it was a stunt to end their sponsorship with the IAAF.

Re:

gooner said:
Well adidas dropping their links to the IAAF is nothing in the context of the reported new deal with Real Madrid.

Along with their contrasting stance to FIFA and the ISL, it just proves it was a stunt to end their sponsorship with the IAAF.

Yes, lets blame ADIDAS and not Coe or the IAAF. I believe the real "stunt' was Coe pretending their was no corruption when he was VP. Stunt man indeed, rolling through that one :rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

gooner said:

Not sure too many are clapping adidas on the back......

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

thehog said:
gooner said:

Yes, lets blame ADIDAS and not Coe or the IAAF. I believe the real "stunt' was Coe pretending their was no corruption when he was VP. Stunt man indeed, rolling through that one :rolleyes:

Yet, I said nothing of the sort.

Their deal with the IAAF is peanuts in comparison to the reported Madrid deal.

And why haven't they addressed the ISL bribes to Havelange and members of the FIFA ExCo. Funny because Lamine Diack also accepted bribes off them back then.

gooner said:
thehog said:
gooner said:

And why haven't they addressed the ISL bribes to Havelange and members of the FIFA ExCo. Funny because Lamine Diack also accepted bribes off them back then.

Why are you comparing? Its not necessary to make a comparison. Corruption is corruption and Coe is knee deep in it.

'Don't look at the British corruption, check out the Spanish guys over there, they are even worse'... good grief :confused:

heart_attack_man said:
I can't believe you were joking - you MUST have realised that this was a very likely outcome? Didn't you? Sports Feds just DGAF. Not sure why no one understands this yet. They are above the law - a law unto themselves. No amount of posturing or threats will get them to GAF. Especially with the likes of Coe, Blatter, McQuaid, Cookson, Verbruggen et al. Go into any fed and they're all the same - previously used to be Max Mosley for F1 - equal sized ego and voluminous amounts of ******** and corruption. MotoGP - Carmelo Ezpeleta - same deal.

The only positive may be that the conflict of interest between Coe and Nike sponsorship may be too great, and he will have to give up his personal sponsorship, but all that will really mean is brown paper bags at dawn.

I naively thought even the IAAF would realize that this was too much of a stretch, given Coe's financial conflict of interest with Nike, and their apparent sleazy relationship with Gatlin and Salazar....
Trying to look like your cleaning up the IAAF? First step = get into bed with the company that sponsors Justin Gatlin :(

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

thehog said:
gooner said:
thehog said:
gooner said:

Why are you comparing? Its not necessary to make a comparison. Corruption is corruption and Coe is knee deep in it.

'Don't look at the British corruption, check out the Spanish guys over there, they are even worse'... good grief :confused:

Again, never said that. Its about the enormous sponsorship with Madrid which is the highest in the game's history. The IAAF sponsorship pales into significance and is dwarfed by it. It's no big deal dropping it.

Yes, corruption is corruption. So why haven't they said anything about the bribes by ISL to FIFA officials? The same ISL who's founder was Horst Dassler, who also established Adidas. No way they would drop that as their place would be taken in a heartbeat. Plus it's invaluable to them.

This has been spinned by them as taking the moral high ground when it's anything but that.

TRENDING THREADS