• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

The Hegelian said:
Catwhoorg said:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-017-0765-4

Doping prevalence at Worlds 2011 estimated to be 39.4-47.9%
at Pan Arab games 2011 estimated to be 52.4-61.8%

Once we're at those levels, doesn't it follow that it's basically ubiquitous? i.e. close to 100%, simply because the level of (doped) competition makes it impossible to even be there without doping.

That depends. Doping doesn't affect everyone the same. While the old adage of "only the poor athletes dope to keep up with the best" is clearly rubbish, there will be a section of athletes who fall in this bracket.

Obviously there is also a section of athletes at the opposite end who dope and are the best (we'll never know if they would be the best in a level playing field, plus it's kind of irrelevant).

It hinges on whether you believe someone can get to the World Championships without doping. I think that a talented athlete could (it might be country dependent, not a nationalism thing, just a level of competition for WC spots thing) but I'm unconvinced they could compete at the pointy end of the competition.

Slice out the medalists (which wasn't done) and compare the top #3 at each event to the participants.

That would answer that question.

My belief is that medalists would be significantly higher in percentage terms, (probably not 100%) but obviously there is no data to confirm or deny.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Slice out the medalists (which wasn't done) and compare the top #3 at each event to the participants.

That would answer that question.

My belief is that medalists would be significantly higher in percentage terms, (probably not 100%) but obviously there is no data to confirm or deny.

I would say finalists in major championships, all would be doping.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The basic problem is, how do you encourage people to tell the truth? You need to protect them from the negative consequences of doing so.

This survey uses a clever strategy to make it happen. By introducing a chance that the answer to the doping question is "yes" whether they are doping or not, individuals can be truthful when asked whether they've been doping without their "yes" necessarily indicating that they've been doping.

Even if anonymity would be compromised and the data would be hacked, seeing in that data that an athlete answered "yes" would not be a confession. Because there's a fixed chance, by design, that the response would be "yes" regardless.

Yet when we want to know the fraction of athletes that dope, we can just subtract the noise probability from the fraction of people saying "yes", and that will be an unbiased estimate of the fraction that dopes, provided this setup makes individuals answer truthfully (More realistically, it merely reduces the bias the downwards bias by reducing, but not eliminating, lying).

The statistical cost of this procedure is that the estimator becomes noisier, but with a large enough sample, that doesn't matter.

In theory, you could do the same thing asking just medallists, but because the sample is much smaller, the noise problem would be worse, and in addition, because the sample is smaller and easily googable and recognisable, it might invite unwelcome public speculation about which individuals, if x% of them dope, are the dopers.

Anticipating this, medallists would be more likely to lie regardless of the setup.

Thanks SS, that was my understanding of it. It might work for finalists and medalists if the sample is large enough (not sure how big it has to be), but the incentive to lie and lower the percentage is greater as it's a smaller group, it's defined and easier to point fingers at.

Years ago, the basic premise of these was go into a booth.
Toss a coin/roll a die
Heads answer the question part A (doping or whatever sensitive subject)
Tails answer the question part B (did the coin land on tails)

Things have got a bit more sophisticated and a lot of these are done electronically and automatically.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I heard the head of ADD (antidoping Denmark) comment on the survey today.

He said the usual stuff:

-Things was bad back then
-Bad leadership back then
-no proper testing back then
-It was to be expected that we would find past issues

It's funny how ,whenever these things come up, it's always a thing of the past.

Not only is dope an IOC probelm -

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/41248774
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has been accused of "doing nothing" about its growing corruption crisis, by senior official *** Pound.

Several IOC officials have been implicated in corruption in 2017.

In the latest case, police last week raided the home of Carlos Nuzman, head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee, as they investigate "strong evidence" of vote-buying to secure Rio's 2016 bid.

"We've taken a severe hit in terms of credibility," Pound told BBC Sport.

"Every time another IOC member is implicated in something potentially nefarious we lose more credibility."

On Monday, IOC president Thomas Bach said the organisation would act on corruption allegations "once evidence is there".

But Canadian Pound, speaking to the BBC's Alex Capstick at an IOC executive board meeting in Lima, Peru, said: "What are we doing taking all these hits and doing nothing about it? We've got to recognise that we haven't done enough.

"If your conduct has put the IOC into disrepute, you should be liable to at least vigorous investigation and potentially sanctioned for it.

"That has not happened."

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Robert5091 said:
Not only is dope an IOC probelm -

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/41248774
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has been accused of "doing nothing" about its growing corruption crisis, by senior official **** Pound.

Several IOC officials have been implicated in corruption in 2017.

In the latest case, police last week raided the home of Carlos Nuzman, head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee, as they investigate "strong evidence" of vote-buying to secure Rio's 2016 bid.

"We've taken a severe hit in terms of credibility," Pound told BBC Sport.

"Every time another IOC member is implicated in something potentially nefarious we lose more credibility."

On Monday, IOC president Thomas Bach said the organisation would act on corruption allegations "once evidence is there".

But Canadian Pound, speaking to the BBC's Alex Capstick at an IOC executive board meeting in Lima, Peru, said: "What are we doing taking all these hits and doing nothing about it? We've got to recognise that we haven't done enough.

"If your conduct has put the IOC into disrepute, you should be liable to at least vigorous investigation and potentially sanctioned for it.

"That has not happened."

*** Pound is not part any clean solution to sport. Pound said Coe was the man to clean up IAAF??

Coe thinks Federations have 'a role to play' in keeping sport clean! FFS, 'a role to play'.....idiot!

'dirtiest race in history'

http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/41371579
Former Olympic 1500m champion Asli Cakir Alptekin has been banned for life after a third doping offence.

In 2015, the 32-year-old was stripped of her 2012 Olympic and European titles and suspended for eight years by the Turkish Athletics Federation.

She returned this year after the ban was halved and its start date backdated to 2013, but has since reoffended.

"We are never, ever going to allow doping," said Turkish Athletics Federation chief Fatih Cintimar.

Six of the first nine finishers in the women's 1500m final at the 2012 Olympics have been given drugs bans, leading some to refer to it as the "dirtiest race in history".

Straight after the race, Britain's Lisa Dobriskey, who finished 10th, told BBC Radio 5 live: "I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field."

Cakir Alptekin previously served a two-year ban following a positive test at the 2004 World Junior Championships.

She finished 11th in the European Champion Clubs Cup Cross Country event in Portugal in February, helping Uskudar Belediyespor win the title.

The nature of her latest offence has not been made public.

Re: 'dirtiest race in history'

Robert5091 said:
Former Olympic 1500m champion Asli Cakir Alptekin has been banned for life after a third doping offence.

In 2015, the 32-year-old was stripped of her 2012 Olympic and European titles and suspended for eight years by the Turkish Athletics Federation.

She returned this year after the ban was halved and its start date backdated to 2013, but has since reoffended.

"We are never, ever going to allow doping," said Turkish Athletics Federation chief Fatih Cintimar.

Six of the first nine finishers in the women's 1500m final at the 2012 Olympics have been given drugs bans, leading some to refer to it as the "dirtiest race in history".

Straight after the race, Britain's Lisa Dobriskey, who finished 10th, told BBC Radio 5 live: "I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field."

Cakir Alptekin previously served a two-year ban following a positive test at the 2004 World Junior Championships.

She finished 11th in the European Champion Clubs Cup Cross Country event in Portugal in February, helping Uskudar Belediyespor win the title.

Dirtiest race in history is probably the Seoul 1988 100m men's final...

Re: 'dirtiest race in history'

BullsFan22 said:
Robert5091 said:

Dirtiest race in history is probably the Seoul 1988 100m men's final...

Several of the bolt world and olympic finals are way more dodgy in my eyes. That 2012 800m and some of the city marathon races from the 2009-2015 period as well

Brits don't dope
http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/41471489
_98109652_blair.jpg

s/he who has no sin launch the first javelin.
;)

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Had to smile at this bit from Coe: “Let our imagination run wild,” he proclaimed, warning that purists mightn’t relish athletics being part of the entertainment business but that’s the reality.

Other highlights for me :
Track and field isn’t alone in fighting such cynicism but it is at the forefront of its impact. Anyone able to watch top-flight international athletics entirely at face value has clearly had their credulity gland removed.
and
But athletics needs such a flip. It also needs to acknowledge that for much of the public it has been reduced to little more than a game of guess the pharmaceutical cheat

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/athletics-isn-t-staying-relevant-it-s-chasing-relevance-1.3256756