• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
When the media are so complicit in distorting the truth and outright lying is it no wonder cheating and doping in sport is like breathing...

an example.

http://twitter.com/paddypower/status/495856537332887552/photo/1

Marca are the paper that openly supports Real Madrid. Think they would publishing doping stories about Madrid? Nah me neither....
it is how Walsh crossed to the dark side even tho I had an email with him in 2008 giro and he agreed with me that Wigans was "probably doping".

ofcourse, he did not just start in 2008 neither. I would have hoped that Savulescu went into this mindset like Yesalis and Hoberman did.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Let's say the going backward thing was an overstatement about feeling slower.

BUT (big but), if you switch from MTB to road wouldn't feeling slower be about the last thing you sensed?

Especially when you are helping out doper Hincapie and finishing in winning breaks with doper Valv.Piti?

Something doesn't add up.

And, he could always ride his knobbies on the road if that felt faster.

If he was feeling slow on the mountain bike maybe should have tried ridding his skinny tire bike in those spring MTB World Cup events, cause he was riding fine around the guys on the full program in the pro road events

I'm guessing when you are already selected to the Olympic Team, committed to a future road career and only are focused on the Olympic race to finish your MTB career then its pretty easy to blow off a few spring MTB races.

Who would have guessed that would come in handy one day to help explain to a fanboy writer from your hometown newspaper how doping with EPO did not work for you:rolleyes:

Can you believe it? An MMA fighter actually got busted for PEDs. NOT joking.

According to Cage Potato, that makes five this year, second highest total since 2007, when there were 14(!!!). But 2014 yet has two months to catch 2007 up. There've been so many Cage Potato decided to keep a running tally online, going back to 2002, the year before Zuffa hosted UFC #1.

Cage Potato also calculated the record of fighters popped in post-fight controls at (18-24-1), a win percentage of 41.9%. From this they conclude that "users are losers." Don't know if they're being hyperbolic of if they're really that stupid.

Did this get posted here?

Belgian star decathlete Thomas Van Der Plaetsen first got suspended for increased HCG (pregnancy hormone), having been tested out of competition. A press statement followed which sounded typical and hours later he was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and rushed off for surgery.

Ring a bell? Armstrong held NOT being diagnosed against UCI all those years. In athletics, they didn't quite have their procedures in order. Well, at least they didn't initiate a muffler campaign, but it wasn't great diplomacy or insight, and it has raised some controversy. I hope this will not counter effect transparency.

And not all should be over with this. Since popular drugs can help induce and super grow it.

http://news.yahoo.com/athletics-belgiums-van-der-plaetsen-fights-testicular-cancer-164149538.html

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Did this get posted here?

Belgian star decathlete Thomas Van Der Plaetsen first got suspended for increased HCG (pregnancy hormone), having been tested out of competition. A press statement followed which sounded typical and hours later he was diagnosed with testicular cancer, and rushed off for surgery.

Ring a bell? Armstrong held NOT being diagnosed against UCI all those years. In athletics, they didn't quite have their procedures in order. Well, at least they didn't initiate a muffler campaign, but it wasn't great diplomacy or insight, and it has raised some controversy. I hope this will not counter effect transparency.

And not all should be over with this. Since popular drugs can help induce and super grow it.

http://news.yahoo.com/athletics-belgiums-van-der-plaetsen-fights-testicular-cancer-164149538.html

There have been other cases where hCG positives leads to testicular cancer detection:

http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/s...for-US-beach-volleyball-star-Jake-Gibb-073012

http://www.football-italia.net/43040/acerbi-cancer-relapse-confirmed

Armstrong was ****ed off about UCI not detecting his cancer.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eam-mate-cancer-card-play-doping-suspect.html

Okay, this is the living end. Busted for PEDs in ...wait for it, ...a cow milking competition.

World milking championships darkened by doping allegations
Sunday 5 Oct 2014 10:54 pm

...The winner of this year’s world tournament at Branzi Fair, Italy was Gianmario Ghirardi who along with her bovine companion, Mirka, produced 8.7 litres in two minutes.

However, there have been accusations of doping as this year’s top three competitors all produced over seven litres in two minutes.

This might seem normal to uninitiated but the previous world record was a lowly two litres....

Of course, merely the fact of quadrupling the world record doesn't prove anything. Nor, for that matter, does a 41-year old who never before contended for a Grand Tour GC winning the Vuelta, or a 43-year old not renown for his time trialing prowess breaking the world hour record by more than one kilometer.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
Okay, this is the living end. Busted for PEDs in ...wait for it, ...a cow milking competition.

<Snip>

Of course, merely the fact of quadrupling the world record doesn't prove anything.

..........although an oxytocin level might prove a lot. ;)

Thanks for posting this! It is udderly ridiculous. :D

Nominee for IAAF's athlete of the year. Can't think of anyone more deserving.

Untitled_1.jpg

The UFC apparently is extending Cung Le the privilege of contesting the positive on grounds of the accuracy/competency of the test. But this will be an ad hoc process because the event in question was held in Macau. The UFC's non-USA events are "self-regulated" (not subject to Court of Arbitration for Sport) and they apparently have no codified appeals process. In the past, the vast majority of the UFC's PEDs positives have come from events in Nevada and California, where the appeal would fall to the state's sanctioning body. I don't know as they've ever had an appeal stemming from a non-USA fight.

Le's test results are here The lab called his HGH out or range at 18.162 mIU/mL, but their criterion is under question. According to Bloody Elbow, 20-30 mIU/mL is normal in a trained athlete after performing strenuous exercise.

And the lab itself is under fire, on both procedural and technical grounds. Le reportedly had two vials of blood drawn, but the lab only performed one test. Not only was there was no 'B' sample confirmation test, the samples were not maintained after testing. Further, not only is the (Hong Kong) lab not WADA-accredited, they didn't use either of WADA's approved HGH test procedures (Isoform and Biomarker).

And our old pal Dr. Don Catlin has thrown his hat into the ring ...uh ...cage. Catlin told Bloody Elbow's reporter, "If it was not the isoform test I would ignore [Cung Le's test] results."

There also is the question of why the UFC didn't have the testing done by WADA's Beijing lab, which also is closer to Macau than the lab they used in Hong Kong. I think they're insinuating that the UFC cheaped-out, putting the needs of Zuffa's P&L sheet ahead of the accuracy and professionalism of the testing. I also think Dana dramatically underestimated how complex this process can be, and it will end up being a can of worms he regrets having opened.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
catlin lol. LA Olympics aths trials blue light CSI monica lewinsky blue velvet gown glows semen stains like a scandanavian snowflake storm

Brazilian Anderson 'the Spider' Silva, former UFC middleweight champ, held by many to be the greatest MMA fighter of all time, and currently on the mend from breaking his leg across the knee of Chris Weidman at UFC 168, says he thinks all steroid users should be banned from fighting for life. Not because of any lingering performance advantage, but because the operative word in PED is "drug." He pigeon holes them with recreational drug abusers, right alongside the hypers and the tweakers.

The story also mentions that of the 15 consecutive UFC fighters fighters Silva defeated before losing his belt to Weidman, seven have had a PEDs positive at some point in their careers.

blackcat said:
how the hell did his head grow then
Where else was he going to put all that accumulated skill? :rolleyes:

[OT]
Today, Silva reacts to Nick Diaz's (customary) trash-talk leading up to their UFC 182 fight (Silva's post-broken leg comeback fight) saying he doesn't like being disrespected, as if that news should make Diaz tremble in his boots. Great. The most disrespectful fighter in the UFC doesn't like being disrespected.
[/OT]

Chael Sonnen says he isn't sorry he doped, so it would be hypocritical to apologise. Love him or hate him, Sonnen is what he is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

StyrbjornSterki said:
Chael Sonnen says[/url] he isn't sorry he doped, so it would be hypocritical to apologise. Love him or hate him, Sonnen is what he is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

I'll always like Chael for this quote -
"When you screw up, you have to own it. That stuff really gets under my skin. Take Lance Armstrong. Lance Armstrong did a number of things and he gave himself cancer. He cheated, he did drugs, and he gave himself cancer. Well, instead of saying ‘Hey listen, I cheated and gave myself cancer, don't be like me.' He actually made himself the victim and then went out and profited something like $15 million dollars from this ‘Hey, poor me, let's find a cure for cancer' campaign instead of just coming clean and saying, ‘Look, here's what I did, I screwed myself up, and I hope people learn from my mistakes."

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Now even the race horses needs EPO

Blood doping vial found in stable – three banned

Heavy bans have been handed down to the three men involved in New Zealand racing's first case of EPO, the judicial committee sending a clear message that the blood doping substance has no place in the industry.
A comparable 2011 case in Australia involving Bevan and Richard Laming, who were put out for three years, was far more serious as three horses had tested positive to DPO, a synthetic form of EPO.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FitSsikS said:
I'll always like Chael for this quote -
"When you screw up, you have to own it. That stuff really gets under my skin. Take Lance Armstrong. Lance Armstrong did a number of things and he gave himself cancer. He cheated, he did drugs, and he gave himself cancer. Well, instead of saying ‘Hey listen, I cheated and gave myself cancer, don't be like me.' He actually made himself the victim and then went out and profited something like $15 million dollars from this ‘Hey, poor me, let's find a cure for cancer' campaign instead of just coming clean and saying, ‘Look, here's what I did, I screwed myself up, and I hope people learn from my mistakes."
for every Chael quote, it is much like Armstrong on the meta level, it is just "I will do whatever quote i reckon can get cut thru in a very competitive media landscape for air time and even before Muhammed Ali there were prize fighters doing rent-a-quote because they knew it influenced their market price with bring fans thru the gate" extemporaneous joyce /extemporised.

so Chael will just do what sounds good to you. Ultimately, he is no different from Lance with Public Strategies and telling Travis Tygart that he would not define his redemption in the mind of the public when could rely on Public Strategies Sally Jenkins Stapelton Wiesel etc to soundbite seed the public.

Its Edward Benarys. So dont place much stock in Sonnen