• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in other sports?

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
wansteadimp said:
Should the question now be is there any one in Russia who wasn't on Meldonium? Maybe it was being added to the water supply!

The whole of the U18 ice hickey team has tested positive and been replaced for the U18 World Champs

http://deadspin.com/reports-entire-russian-u18-hockey-team-replaced-before-1769366600
Flint Michigan
Everyone is always trying to blame the Russians
for everything. In fact, the melodeon is popular
in certain parts of England too, my friend! :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIpZYznP1CY&nohtmI5=False

UFC Fighter Frank Mir just tested positive: I must admit, for someone new to the game he's answers are fairly spot on. Overall I'd give him a B+ - I especially like his dismount. I think this could be a fun, new game to play. Rate the denial.

Mir said: 'To all my fans and supporters, (loses points for NOT mentioning the UFC) I recently have been notified by USADA that the test I took on the night of the fight came back positive for a substance that I did not take.

'I don't know how it is possible since I didn't take any performance enhancing drugs to compete. (nice comeback with patented denial)

'I have never tested positive for a banned substance since joining the UFC and becoming two-time champion. I ask all of you to hold judgement against me until all the facts have been revealed.'

Champions do not cheat! - and his dismount -Boom! Welcome aboard, Frank!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Got to love the old 'Boxers don't dope' when they're gaining so much muscle without gaining any body fat in such short periods of time :eek:

but Mir got fat quickly, not just muscle. He had definitely done it to leverage his "ground game" and wrestlinh/BJJ... not that i watch the sport, but he was 6'3 ish, 100kg about when Brock Lesnar just ragdolled him on the re-match(cos I think FM got BL in a submission first time)

As per Kimbo Slice:
"I don't think the commissioners should really blackball fighters for having to use a little extra vitamins to perform. 'Cause we're entertainers. We perform on a high level. We put our body through some extreme workout to entertain the public and the media. The commissioners should sit down and come to an agreement on what levels should be okay. The levels should be okay for professional entertainers on that level. You know, not so much like some guy who's doing this for a living. We're not those guys. We're just performing for a certain time. So yes, our levels should be just a little bit above normal. That should be okay in the professional world."
Punchdrunk, maybe?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
As per Kimbo Slice:
"I don't think the commissioners should really blackball fighters for having to use a little extra vitamins to perform. 'Cause we're entertainers. We perform on a high level. We put our body through some extreme workout to entertain the public and the media. The commissioners should sit down and come to an agreement on what levels should be okay. The levels should be okay for professional entertainers on that level. You know, not so much like some guy who's doing this for a living. We're not those guys. We're just performing for a certain time. So yes, our levels should be just a little bit above normal. That should be okay in the professional world."
Punchdrunk, maybe?

Nah, just honest.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
StyrbjornSterki said:
As per Kimbo Slice:
Punchdrunk, maybe?

Nah, just honest.
Which raises the question, if these "vitamins" are necessary 1) why is the "sport" legal?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

blackcat said:
PremierAndrew said:
Got to love the old 'Boxers don't dope' when they're gaining so much muscle without gaining any body fat in such short periods of time :eek:

but Mir got fat quickly, not just muscle. He had definitely done it to leverage his "ground game" and wrestlinh/BJJ... not that i watch the sport, but he was 6'3 ish, 100kg about when Brock Lesnar just ragdolled him on the re-match(cos I think FM got BL in a submission first time)
Mir gained a huge amout of muscle mass after the 2nd fight with Lesnar, he got really big to compete with guys like Lesnar and Carwin.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Nick C. said:
Maxiton said:
StyrbjornSterki said:
As per Kimbo Slice:
Punchdrunk, maybe?

Nah, just honest.
Which raises the question, if these "vitamins" are necessary 1) why is the "sport" legal?

Good question, I dunno. Money?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Being a MMA fighter would be incredibly taxing on the body simply due to the number of disciplines they have to train on a weekly basis plus strength and conditioning. Incredibly difficult I'd imagine.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Nick C. said:
Maxiton said:
StyrbjornSterki said:
As per Kimbo Slice:
Punchdrunk, maybe?

Nah, just honest.

lol, I guess. That seems to be at the root of the answer to a lot of things.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

whittashau said:
Being a MMA fighter would be incredibly taxing on the body simply due to the number of disciplines they have to train on a weekly basis plus strength and conditioning. Incredibly difficult I'd imagine.

Nick C. said:
Maxiton said:
Nick C. said:

lol, I guess. That seems to be at the root of the answer to a lot of things.

MMA fighter Joao Carvalho dies from head injuries

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
blackcat said:
PremierAndrew said:

Mir gained a huge amout of muscle mass after the 2nd fight with Lesnar, he got really big to compete with guys like Lesnar and Carwin.

the recent fight in Brisbane, it was a different bodyweight, he was fat, but not thru lack of conditioning, i would have been an (economics) Game Theory, strategy, triangulating his strengths and potential versus his weight class. Like Randy Couture went up and down classes to target champion belts.

It was more like a japanese sumo fighter the weight, not the muscle he added on his upper body 2-3 years back. I dont know, but I did see him with the muscle he added post Lesnar first time 'round

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
blackcat said:
PremierAndrew said:

fighter-frank-mir-and-brisbane-roar-player-henrique-kick-a-soccer-a-picture-id507936040

644f02e2fcb6e4f8ae18286878ff9529

^I have loved pro wrestling since I was a kid. It's the one sport where we can be honest. It isn't "real," with the story lines and all, the outcomes are rigged, and the athletes are all clearly on drugs, both rec.and PED. It is the one sport I can watch and truly just enjoy for the entertainment value. And, to be 7' and 350 pounds and do some of those moves...still gotta be a skilled athlete.

Plus, the sport gave us Dusty Rhodes...

I just wish the NBA and NFL would admit they are a) rigged b) full of dopers.

The UFC have been dealt a double-blow this week. Yesterday, barely 24 hours before the scheduled bout at (today's) UFC on FOX 19, the UFC announced that lightweight Islam Makhachev had tested positive for Meldonium (which only made the WADA prohibited list this 1 January) in a recent OOC test. Makhachev was suspended and his scheduled bout against Drew Dober was canceled.

USADA might finally be getting their feet under them in the UFC, because past announcements typically didn't provide details of the substance in question at the same as the violation was announced. And this one apparently was a very recent OOC. Next stop: same day service.

And Lyoto Machida also was pulled from the UFC on FOX 19 card because he voluntarily listed a prohibited substance (DHEA) in the forms he was required to fill out before an OOC was administered. And naturally he claims he didn't know an over-the-counter "supplement" might be prohibited.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

nayr497 said:
^I have loved pro wrestling since I was a kid. It's the one sport where we can be honest. It isn't "real," with the story lines and all, the outcomes are rigged, and the athletes are all clearly on drugs, both rec.and PED. It is the one sport I can watch and truly just enjoy for the entertainment value. And, to be 7' and 350 pounds and do some of those moves...still gotta be a skilled athlete.

Plus, the sport gave us Dusty Rhodes...

I just wish the NBA and NFL would admit they are a) rigged b) full of dopers.

and NHL and MLB

tous dope

Before the Texas authorities even have had time to decide how to sanction Kimbo Slice for his positive for Nandrolone at Bellator 149 (19 February, Houston), he already is slated to fight again at Bellator 158 (16 July, London). While the organisation did suspend KS for 90 days, that suspension only prohibits him fighting, not training or sparring. The 90 days (which apparently was the briefest suspension the Texas anti-PEDs code would have allowed) represents a rather short "turn-around" in men's professional MMA, so it hardly could be called a "punishment," and the London venue puts the fight beyond the jurisdiction of the state of Texas.

Just finished reading MSN story on Boston Marathon and Ethiopia runners winning both Men's and Women's title. Comments were largely ignorant, racist, nationalist mini-rants from "conservative" individuals that know nothing of the sport. This US election cycle has brought out the worst in our country's fringe. Amazing they have the brainpower to turn a computer on, let alone comment. I'm placing in this topic area because only Doping could be the cause of this...

Anyone here think that McGregor failed a dope test and rather than have it all crashing down on him, he was given a choice of a ban or early retirement, so naturally he took the latter? I am probably wrong, but just one of the things I thought about when I heard/read of his announcement.

Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
And Lyoto Machida also was pulled from the UFC on FOX 19 card because he voluntarily listed a prohibited substance (DHEA) in the forms he was required to fill out before an OOC was administered. And naturally he claims he didn't know an over-the-counter "supplement" might be prohibited.

This brings failing the intelligence test in doping terms to a new low level.

Catwhoorg said:
StyrbjornSterki said:

This brings failing the intelligence test in doping terms to a new low level.
The case of Mirko Cro Cop was (IMHO) even worse. Cro Cop confessed to HgH use and retired from the sport the day after being subjected to an OOC. When the test results came back weeks later, it showed him clean. That came about at the cusp of USADA implementing the HgH test protocol, and apparently Cro Cop fell through the cracks.

But in his defence, I like to give Cro Cop the benefit of the doubt and think it was conscience compelled him to come clean, not fear of being outed. His other pursuits (police commando and former high-level elected official) point him out as a serious individual with a strong social conscience. The organisation places enormous pressure on fighters to fight even if hurt, as we saw with Sage Northcutt sustaining his first career loss when Dana White goaded him into fighting while unwell with strep throat. Cro Cop claims he resorted to HgH to rehab an injured shoulder so he could make a scheduled bout, and you know what they say about confession.

TRENDING THREADS