• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I am also amazed that Real Sociadad are allowed into Europe after their ex president admitted doping and the evidence in the Spanish court case.

Having said that, the two goals they scored last night were utterly wonderful. Spectacular doesn't come close. Check them out if you get the chance!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:
I am also amazed that Real Sociadad are allowed into Europe after their ex president admitted doping and the evidence in the Spanish court case.

Having said that, the two goals they scored last night were utterly wonderful. Spectacular doesn't come close. Check them out if you get the chance!
indeed, looking forward to FIFA's investigation into those doping allegations :rolleyes:

anyway, good goals indeed. thanks for the tip.

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
sniper said:
Bernd Schuster saying he doesn't have a problem with doping as long as it's for recovery.
basically admitting it's business as usual in present day football.
also admitting that he, as a player, got different 'things' administered into his body prior to matches. players would simply let the docs do their work without asking.

http://de.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/liga-schuster-hat-kein-problem-doping-103006779.html

Interesting stuff.

Wasn't there also an interesting post in this thread about Wenger's comments on Spanish players he has bought? Can't seem to find it in this thread, so it might be worth a re-post in here if anyone spots it in another thread.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't they allow plasma spinning or PRP in soccer for recovery from injury but not for performance enhancement? I believe Andre Villas Boas has used this at Spurs and also referred to 'growth factor' being used, I don't know what exactly he means there? I know he learned his trade under Mourinho, so perhaps he and his staff use it too? Deco and another ex-Mourinho/Porto player tested positive in Brazil recently, not sure what the substance was but they blamed it on supplements, so it probably wasn't performance enhancing.

Just to note that Schuster is talking about recovery from injury rather than recovery from general fatigue. AFAIK this is already in place in soccer for certain treatments like PRP.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
timbo25 said:
i think its more rampage than in cycling, because they only test urine.

Football in general is more of a rampage. Just think of all the refrees in the lower leagues getting attacked by angry players. When i hear such news then for me it is obvious with this kind of emotions that on the top level winning at all cost involves doping.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Excellent piece in World Soccer this month where they do a special report on doping in the game and the recent news that was released about doping in the West Germany's sides of the 54, 66, and 74 World Cups. They also bring up Puerto, the French Senate report, doping in the Bologna side in the 60's and the positves just in the last few months with Joel Sanchez after a World Cup qualifier playing for Peru against Bolivia and the Tahiti player that got popped in the Confederations Cup this summer.

Brian Glanville(football historian) writes about this as well in his monthly column in the early part of the magazine. Well worth a read and no surprise once again to see World Soccer as the only real publisher in the UK to address this issue in detail.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
A Tahitian tested positive? I must have missed that.

That should just about end any talk of football being clean. If somebody at such a low, amateur level is doping, then I shudder to think about the vast quantities of PEDs used by top professionals.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
A Tahitian tested positive? I must have missed that.

That should just about end any talk of football being clean. If somebody at such a low, amateur level is doping, then I shudder to think about the vast quantities of PEDs used by top professionals.

I know one of their players very well in Marama Vahirua when he played in France with Nantes, Nice and Lorient. A decent player and it was interesting to see him retire after the Confederations Cup. The name of the positive hasn't been released yet as far I know.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
crapna said:

the guy responsible for those interesting data, Tim Meyer, doctor of the national team, is already backpaddeling:

http://newsticker.sueddeutsche.de/list/id/1488866

Says there is no evidence, not even indications, for blooddoping (even though his own PhD dissertation from 2009 showed 50+ hematocrit among bundesliga players...)

this story is going nowhere, except perhaps under the carpet.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Interesting from Thomas Hitzlsperger on announcing his retirement today, a man with 50 German caps.

"I'm asking myself whether a phase of disillusion is about to come which would reveal what is going on behind the boom. People shouldn't be naive about topics like doping or betting fraud"

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
acfisken said:
Interesting from Thomas Hitzlsperger on announcing his retirement today, a man with 50 German caps.

"I'm asking myself whether a phase of disillusion is about to come which would reveal what is going on behind the boom. People shouldn't be naive about topics like doping or betting fraud"

do you by any chance have access to the full interview? what I found online was just a summary.

that is an interesting statement indeed.
actually one of the most sensible statements i've heard from any (non-cyclist) professional athlete in a very long time.

I wonder (and doubt) if there'll be a journalist with the balls to pick up the story and pursue it, and of course hitzlsperger will also think twice before actually spilling real beans.

EDIT: forget it, he wasn't saying much about doping after all.
same old...

acfisken said:
I read a quote in English, don't speak German. What did he say?

"I've never had an experience in the dressing room where I would have thought, could this be doping? However, it is clear that there is a grey area (in the sport) when it comes to painkillers. But something as widespread as we hear about in cycling? That's something I've never noticed, I don't see that."