• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in XC skiing

Page 129 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
It's good to see proper 50 km racing again, but it's a shame Sundby doesn't have more competition. Dyrhaug did well, but he's Norwegian too, so that doesn't really count.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Discgear said:
BullsFan22 said:
What to say about Sundby? You simply run out of superlatives.
Superlatives? Kind of other words springs to mind.

Stonegrinding
Dr Koss
Muhleggian
and
Disgrace
i normally restrain myself from jumping in here after yet another sundby dominance, but i am getting tired of seeing it. this is the guy who sometimes could not finish the very race being in his mid twenties and then suddenly (if i borrow a term from the military) - not the air superiority but a supremacy. the dyrhaug proximity, i am sure, was his calculation to assess the others...

python said:
Discgear said:
BullsFan22 said:

Stonegrinding
Dr Koss
Muhleggian
and
Disgrace
i normally restrain myself from jumping in here after yet another sundby dominance, but i am getting tired of seeing it. this is the guy who sometimes could not finish the very race being in his mid twenties and then suddenly (if i borrow a term from the military) - not the air superiority but a supremacy. the dyrhaug proximity, i am sure, was his calculation to assess the others...

I remember him from all the way back in the junior ranks, where he was good, but obviously not dominant. Ok, you can't judge anything by junior races, but it sometimes give you indication of things to come. He won his first race in Kuusamo in 2008. 15km classic individual, so perfect set up for him. His next win, if I am right, wasn't until exactly four years later in Gaellivare in 2012. He was a sold racer up until 2013/2014, where he made this jump and was starting kill off everyone else. Kuusamo mini tour in December 2013, that's where he really took off. He barely held off Vylegzhanin and Legkov there, but he did and he's more dominant than ever. It's funny though, his first TDS attempt was that year, and he won, but his form and less than ideal skis (or so the Norwegians said) ruined his Olympics and again, he did nothing due to sickness in Falun last year. Perhaps he'll skip the Tour the next two seasons and focus on World's and Olympics?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
python said:
Discgear said:
BullsFan22 said:

Stonegrinding
Dr Koss
Muhleggian
and
Disgrace

I remember him from all the way back in the junior ranks, where he was good, but obviously not dominant. Ok, you can't judge anything by junior races, but it sometimes give you indication of things to come. He won his first race in Kuusamo in 2008. 15km classic individual, so perfect set up for him. His next win, if I am right, wasn't until exactly four years later in Gaellivare in 2012. He was a sold racer up until 2013/2014, where he made this jump and was starting kill off everyone else. Kuusamo mini tour in December 2013, that's where he really took off. He barely held off Vylegzhanin and Legkov there, but he did and he's more dominant than ever. It's funny though, his first TDS attempt was that year, and he won, but his form and less than ideal skis (or so the Norwegians said) ruined his Olympics and again, he did nothing due to sickness in Falun last year. Perhaps he'll skip the Tour the next two seasons and focus on World's and Olympics?
there are some personality traits in sundby that i appreciate compared to, say, petter. i also appreciate his work ethics (not the 1200 h/yr bs) and the thoughtfulness/efficiency of his individual training program making some difference.

but something does not add up...even if his visibly improved skating technique (particularly v2) and his stronger upper body taken into consideration.

his main, most obvious advantage is aerobic power, the improvements to his engine that no one, in any snow conditions seems able to match. he just goes when he decides to punch the pedal and he's gone...be a race beginning or the end.

i want to give him the benefit of a doubt but we've been disappointed way too often when observing the level of superiority our saint martin had been displaying.

I saw that skating too. Such a slap in the face of the sport, doing it right in front of (I presume) his king even.
Sundby now has such aerobic superiority, it's turned a classical technician into a double poler than makes sprint finals.
And the very, very shady Russians just can't stay close.

Is it possible the Russians in Sochi somehow targeted the Norwegians so openly for "we'll nail you even if you're clean" doping tests that they just had to draw the slow skis card, possibly even taking slow skis to prove their point? It seems to have hit the men more than the women, of course the women don't have real Russian opposition.

Re:

Cloxxki said:
I saw that skating too. Such a slap in the face of the sport, doing it right in front of (I presume) his king even.
Sundby now has such aerobic superiority, it's turned a classical technician into a double poler than makes sprint finals.
And the very, very shady Russians just can't stay close.

Is it possible the Russians in Sochi somehow targeted the Norwegians so openly for "we'll nail you even if you're clean" doping tests that they just had to draw the slow skis card, possibly even taking slow skis to prove their point? It seems to have hit the men more than the women, of course the women don't have real Russian opposition.

Maybe the Norwegians raced 'clean' in Sochi? The Norwegians are much more shady now than the Russians. Maybe than the Russians have ever been. Sundby and Johaug are just laughing at the public's stupidity. At least we can feel a little better at the top Russians, who train outside the national team and stay in Europe for most of the year.

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

It has been a dreadful season. Not just boring, but regimented, preordained tedium. The abandonment of the rule about classical races being held in the classical style is just incredible. Someone posted a little earlier in the thread about the oxygen mask thing killing the sport. I think this is worse.

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Ok this is my first post ever... I have been reading this forum for a few years, but i really had to sign up just to say this: Bloody hell, somebody arrest Therese Johaug. This is unreal. I think even Muehlegg would blush...

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
to appreciate the johaug's huge gap on everyone else, it would be helpful to compare her relative advantage today (4 min, or appr. 5%) to the differences btwn endurance athletes performances of national vs. the world elite...

it is nor a straightforward, rigid axiom, particularly in a sport like xc skiing where any snow friction could be so unpredictable, but generally the available studies point to a difference btwn 3-5 %. iow, today, therese has made the world's elite into a 2nd rate girls.

regarding the sochi games...there is no doubt now (nor a big secret) that the russian successes in part were due to xenon. their coaches and some athletes acknowledged it in private. it was perfectly legal then. they also used another confidential nutritional approach that was not disclosed...but i reckon its only months away we will learn b/c their best wada-level scientist is in the us now after being booted for the athletics scandals. that chap has a very talkative nature and will feel proud to blow a whistle, like those german sources. give him time.

regarding norway doping or not in sochi, that chap also has an opinion. it was just very curious how the poor ski prep (which was true to an extent) was spun into a new level. i tried here to make that point with some analysis ...

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

regarding norway doping or not in sochi, that chap also has an opinion. it was just very curious how the poor ski prep (which was true to an extent) was spun into a new level. i tried here to make that point with some analysis ...
Sorry Python, this thread is so long now, but was your analysis that poor ski prep wasn't enough to explain poor performances from the Norwegians in Sochi?

Blaaswix said:
Sorry Python, this thread is so long now, but was your analysis that poor ski prep wasn't enough to explain poor performances from the Norwegians in Sochi?

It was warm. Getting above 10 Celsius at some races, and the late starts didn't help. That's not really a great excuse for the Norwegians, who spend more on wax and have the biggest support/wax/service team of all the teams. I think part of it was also poor form. Apart from Hattestad, Brandsdal, Gloersen (all three were top 10 in sprint) and Sundby, the men had poor form. The women may not have been in top form, but the weak field helped them win the medals they were widely expected to win.

Don't know the story of Russians and the nutrition issues. I am assuming that since it was the Russians, they would have already been busted, seeing how WADA is generally after them and not after the other top nations.

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

Norway's women did not perform poorly in Sochi. 6 of them won individual medals, including 4/6 gold medals.

Skiathlon
1. Bjørgen
3. Weng

Sprint F
1. Falla
2. Flugstad

10k C
2. Johaug

Team sprint
1. Norway (Bjørgen-Flugstad)

30k F
1. Bjørgen
2. Johaug
3. Steira

The success of the norwegian women in every race except the relay suggests two things:
1. They most likely had poor skis in the relay.
2. The norwegian men probably had normal/good skis in every race except maybe the relay.