Doping in XC skiing

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm confused about the Swedish reaction to the item about not being willing to hand over their guidlines regarding asthma treatment.
Peter Reinebos (Swedish Olympic Komity(SOK)) reaction seemed over the top and about the Norwegians not following up a plan to meet or something. Calling it a shot to the neck/knife in the back. They would meet on Monday and have a presser or something.

Then I read that the head of the Asthma comittee said the Swedes responded to all their contacts but refused to share the information they asked for.
http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/sveriges-ol-komit-til-angrep-pa-astmarapporten--vi-er-dolket-i-ryggen/67093587

I'm going whaat? What about the SOK talking about the Norwegians not following up to meet or something. :confused:

Then I read that Ulf Morten Aune who is the Norwegian national team coordinator thinks that Reinebo is confusing the Ski federations contact and request for a meeting(which never happened), with the contact with the Asthma Comitee.

And I think that explains the Histrionics from Reinebo, who naturally felt like he was being accomadating and now receives critisism.

But then I think of Katharina Rise, the head of the Comitees elaboration that they responded but were unwilling to share the information with them. That is pretty specific. The treatment guidlines shouldnt't be too hard to email? :confused:

Then I read that the Swedish national team doctor among other things is pissed about releasing the report now before the championships.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/langdskidor/lakarens-harda-kritik-mot-norge-upprord/
It was about Norwegian Asthma treatment, why should he be so concerned?

Then there is a small article about SOKs meeting:
http://www.expressen.se/sport/langdskidor/ny-svensk-ilska-mot-norge-lognaktigt/
More drama. But listening to the interview, it's clear that Swedish newspapers are good at amplyfing disagrement.

Still, no answer about the Comitee not getting the guidelines. The little there is about the guidlines in the article is this text:
SOK-kollegan Bo Berglund menar att de är väldigt tydliga med vad som krävs för att astmamedicineras.
– Vi behandlar patienter som är i behov av behandling. Resten behandlar vi inte säger kollegan Bo Berglund.
SOK colleague Berglund thinks they are very clear about what is demanded to get medications for asthma. " We treat patents that need treatment. The rest we don't treat."

Duh, and how is this different from the Norwegians? They also only treat those who need treatment. If there is a disagreement in who needs treatment, it does not seem clear from this article. Seems the Swedish media is not really that interested in how the Swedes treat their athletes.

So I look to see if SOK has any thing, and bingo they do:
http://sok.se/arkiv-for-artiklar/2017-02-20-astma---soks-riktlinjer.html
Publicerad 20 februari 2017
Astma - SOK:s riktlinjer
SOK har i dag offentliggjort sina riktlinjer gällande diagnostik och behandling av idrottsutövare med astma bronkiale.

SOK:s riktlinjer gällande diagnostik och behandling av idrottsutövare med astma bronkiale (och bronkiell hyperreaktivitet):

1. Astma diagnostiseras utifrån symtombedömning och klinisk undersökning (spirometri med reversibilitetstest och/eller bronkialprovokation). Diagnos och behandling görs av läkare.

2. Astma behandas i enlighet med svenska riktlinjer (Svenska Läkemedelsverket) som i allt väsentligt följer internationella rekommendationer.

3. Behandling med astmaläkemedel sker endast till idrottsutövare med diagnos astma bronkiale eller bronkiell hyperreaktivitet. Friska idrottsutövare behandlas ej med läkemedel.

4. Vid behandling, med av WADA tillåtna beta-agonister, gäller de maximala doser som framgår av gällande WADA-dokument ("förbjudna-listan").

5. Nebulisator ska ej användas inom idrottsverksamhet. Detta vare sig vid administration av läkemedel vid astma eller för inhalation av saltvatten hos friska eller individer med astma.

6. Som preventiv behandling för att skydda idrottsutövarnas luftvägar vid ansträngning i låg temperatur rekommenderas användning av värmeväxlare samt noggrann uppvärmning. Temperaturgränser för träning och tävling är definierade i olika idrotters tävlingsbestämmelser.
Point 3: Treatment with asthma medications is only used for athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronkial hyperactivity. Healthy athletes are not treated with medication.

Sounds a lot like what the Norwegians do, except they don't use the Nebulizer. Why they couldnt' email this to the comitee is something I don't understand.
 
Re:

ToreBear said:
Point 3: Treatment with asthma medications is only used for athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronkial hyperactivity. Healthy athletes are not treated with medication.

Sounds a lot like what the Norwegians do, except they don't use the Nebulizer. Why they couldnt' email this to the comitee is something I don't understand.
To treat athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronchial hyperresponsiveness* as to treat juniors (without asthma diagnosis) with asthma medication in preventive purpose, because of maybe polluted air. Yes, hardly no difference. :(

*Bronchial hyperresponsiveness is a hallmark of asthma but also occurs frequently in people suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Re: Re:

Discgear said:
python said:
most swedes don't really care about the norwegian xc ski excesses. they really dont.

but when they read the aggressive rhetoric from the norsk team about the big/little brother complex or about not helping the norsk pet 'independent' panel, then some swedes get upset...

no worries. it is not likely to end up in a swedish crown getting the norsk crown back....though i personally would have a lot of fun if it did go that way. not gonna go beyond the grumbling we all know will go for ever btwn the competitive brothers. the younger bro has to, and hopefully will, eventually learn to be better mannered.
----
if i read the media right, tomorrow we should learn if legkov and belov will joint the rus team in lahti. also, and quite remarkable, the norwegian media suddenly became a conduit to the calls to change the wada code b/c.......the national darling lil therese was innocent. that the numerous dozens of non-norges in the same or worst predicament never warranted the call for the wada change, should be chalked to the norsk obsession with themselves
Yes, the tidal change in the inner sport circles of Norway concerning the WADA code is nauseing. Less than one year ago, many pushed for a 8-year ban violating the WADA-code. Today it's about saving Therese at all costs, even if it takes throwing the Code out of the window.

Today Løfshus went on another rampage against the Swedes. He hopes though, that a lot of Norwegian medals in Lahti will silence the critique from abroad and the media. :confused:
http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/vintersport/langrenn/Lofshus-langer-ut-mot-mediene-og-Sveriges-sjef-230912b.html
did you notice that the very norwegian media that were more or less critical and informative (TV2 and VG) during the doping cases are now the loudest leading pity party........once the asthma panel released the report.

it is like everyone was just waiting to jump back into the usual self-loathing. as nothing had happened. :rolleyes:
 
Re: Re:

python said:
Discgear said:
python said:
most swedes don't really care about the norwegian xc ski excesses. they really dont.

but when they read the aggressive rhetoric from the norsk team about the big/little brother complex or about not helping the norsk pet 'independent' panel, then some swedes get upset...

no worries. it is not likely to end up in a swedish crown getting the norsk crown back....though i personally would have a lot of fun if it did go that way. not gonna go beyond the grumbling we all know will go for ever btwn the competitive brothers. the younger bro has to, and hopefully will, eventually learn to be better mannered.
----
if i read the media right, tomorrow we should learn if legkov and belov will joint the rus team in lahti. also, and quite remarkable, the norwegian media suddenly became a conduit to the calls to change the wada code b/c.......the national darling lil therese was innocent. that the numerous dozens of non-norges in the same or worst predicament never warranted the call for the wada change, should be chalked to the norsk obsession with themselves
Yes, the tidal change in the inner sport circles of Norway concerning the WADA code is nauseing. Less than one year ago, many pushed for a 8-year ban violating the WADA-code. Today it's about saving Therese at all costs, even if it takes throwing the Code out of the window.

Today Løfshus went on another rampage against the Swedes. He hopes though, that a lot of Norwegian medals in Lahti will silence the critique from abroad and the media. :confused:
http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/vintersport/langrenn/Lofshus-langer-ut-mot-mediene-og-Sveriges-sjef-230912b.html
did you notice that the very norwegian media that were more or less critical and informative (TV2 and VG) during the doping cases are now the loudest leading pity party........once the asthma panel released the report.

it is like everyone was just waiting to jump back into the usual self-loathing. as nothing had happened. :rolleyes:
Agree, but there are still some moderate and intellectual voices. I think the chronicle by Leif Welhaven today is thoughtful and even humble.
http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/granskingsrapporten-er-paa-191-sider-den-inneholder-ingen-frifinnelse/a/23929918/
 
The Sundby case and the Petterson reveal show that it's not about treating symptoms, but maximizing the dosage of nearly unlimited use medications.

Sweden seems to have something to hide, just less than Norway.
 
Re: Re:

Discgear said:
ToreBear said:
Point 3: Treatment with asthma medications is only used for athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronkial hyperactivity. Healthy athletes are not treated with medication.

Sounds a lot like what the Norwegians do, except they don't use the Nebulizer. Why they couldnt' email this to the comitee is something I don't understand.
To treat athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronchial hyperresponsiveness* as to treat juniors (without asthma diagnosis) with asthma medication in preventive purpose, because of maybe polluted air. Yes, hardly no difference. :(

*Bronchial hyperresponsiveness is a hallmark of asthma but also occurs frequently in people suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Thanks, but they didn't treat them for polluted air, but for when their symptoms to that air required treatment.
 
Re:

Cloxxki said:
The Sundby case and the Petterson reveal show that it's not about treating symptoms, but maximizing the dosage of nearly unlimited use medications.

Sweden seems to have something to hide, just less than Norway.
Not that I think you are saying anything correct, but whats this about Petterson?
 
Re: Re:

ToreBear said:
Discgear said:
ToreBear said:
Point 3: Treatment with asthma medications is only used for athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronkial hyperactivity. Healthy athletes are not treated with medication.

Sounds a lot like what the Norwegians do, except they don't use the Nebulizer. Why they couldnt' email this to the comitee is something I don't understand.
To treat athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronchial hyperresponsiveness* as to treat juniors (without asthma diagnosis) with asthma medication in preventive purpose, because of maybe polluted air. Yes, hardly no difference. :(

*Bronchial hyperresponsiveness is a hallmark of asthma but also occurs frequently in people suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Thanks, but they didn't treat them for polluted air, but for when their symptoms to that air required treatment.
Well, you might be right, sort of according to this article. :D . According to the team doctor it seems they were treated with asthma medication through neublizer- without diagnosis - since some of them showed respiratory irritation.
https://www.nrk.no/sport/norske-juniorer-hadde-ikke-astma-_-fikk-astmamedisin-i-vm-1.13211144

Hardly comparable to Bronchial hyperresponsiveness. (Med bronkiell hyperreaktivitet menas att det vid exponering för låga doser av allergen eller irritantia, uppstår en bronkospasm med påverkad lungfunktion.)
 
Re:

Cloxxki said:
The Sundby case and the Petterson reveal show that it's not about treating symptoms, but maximizing the dosage of nearly unlimited use medications.

Sweden seems to have something to hide, just less than Norway.
Yes, I've been bothered by the low profile and soft statements from the Swedish team concerning Johnsrud Sundby, Johaug and what has been revealed about the medical practice within the Norwegian XC-team, Olympiatoppen and Norges Skiforbund and their views concerning doping, medication and performance. It seems either they are to close friends to critizice and being just plain cowardly Swedish or either they have a cupboard filled with shady things themselves.

However, the sharpened tone and outspokedness from the Swedish XC-team, team doctors and The Swedish Olympic Committee last days which have put in light very different approaches and practices towards medication, maybe points to the first alternative?
 
Re: Re:

ToreBear said:
Cloxxki said:
The Sundby case and the Petterson reveal show that it's not about treating symptoms, but maximizing the dosage of nearly unlimited use medications.

Sweden seems to have something to hide, just less than Norway.
Not that I think you are saying anything correct, but whats this about Petterson?
Didn't he expose the wax cabin's vaporisor chamber where athletes can help themselves to a top-up without a doctor present?
 
Re: Re:

Discgear said:
ToreBear said:
Discgear said:
ToreBear said:
Point 3: Treatment with asthma medications is only used for athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronkial hyperactivity. Healthy athletes are not treated with medication.

Sounds a lot like what the Norwegians do, except they don't use the Nebulizer. Why they couldnt' email this to the comitee is something I don't understand.
To treat athletes with the diagnosis asthma or bronchial hyperresponsiveness* as to treat juniors (without asthma diagnosis) with asthma medication in preventive purpose, because of maybe polluted air. Yes, hardly no difference. :(

*Bronchial hyperresponsiveness is a hallmark of asthma but also occurs frequently in people suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Thanks, but they didn't treat them for polluted air, but for when their symptoms to that air required treatment.
Well, you might be right, sort of according to this article. :D . According to the team doctor it seems they were treated with asthma medication through neublizer- without diagnosis - since some of them showed respiratory irritation.
https://www.nrk.no/sport/norske-juniorer-hadde-ikke-astma-_-fikk-astmamedisin-i-vm-1.13211144

Hardly comparable to Bronchial hyperresponsiveness. (Med bronkiell hyperreaktivitet menas att det vid exponering för låga doser av allergen eller irritantia, uppstår en bronkospasm med påverkad lungfunktion.)
What the Norwegian doctor describes sounds a lot like what your Swedish text explains as bronkiell hyperactivity. Also there is nothing about no diagnosis. The doc is saying he is treating Asthmatic difficulties, which he calls a reaction in the airways which is the same as with Asthma.
 
Re: Re:

Cloxxki said:
ToreBear said:
Cloxxki said:
The Sundby case and the Petterson reveal show that it's not about treating symptoms, but maximizing the dosage of nearly unlimited use medications.

Sweden seems to have something to hide, just less than Norway.
Not that I think you are saying anything correct, but whats this about Petterson?
Didn't he expose the wax cabin's vaporisor chamber where athletes can help themselves to a top-up without a doctor present?
Maybe, never heard of that. Could be you are thinking about something with the norwegian waxing truck. They have a nebulizer in the lunch room on the second floor. But I don't think it was a secret. When I first heard of it I was watching Swedish TV with the TV team getting a tour.

As for doctor being present or not, thats probably covered in the asthma report.
 
Re: Re:

ToreBear said:
Cloxxki said:
ToreBear said:
Cloxxki said:
The Sundby case and the Petterson reveal show that it's not about treating symptoms, but maximizing the dosage of nearly unlimited use medications.

Sweden seems to have something to hide, just less than Norway.
Not that I think you are saying anything correct, but whats this about Petterson?
Didn't he expose the wax cabin's vaporisor chamber where athletes can help themselves to a top-up without a doctor present?
Maybe, never heard of that. Could be you are thinking about something with the norwegian waxing truck. They have a nebulizer in the lunch room on the second floor. But I don't think it was a secret. When I first heard of it I was watching Swedish TV with the TV team getting a tour.

As for doctor being present or not, thats probably covered in the asthma report.
Probably covered.....of course you didn't read this. :rolleyes:

Discgear said:
Some remarks concerning the ”Asthmareport” last week. Part 2
http://www.skiforbundet.no/Images/Utvalgsrapport 15.2.2017.pdf

As reported by media there has been something similiar to a fruit basket with free access to different prescription drugs at the 2nd floor of the Ski Waxing bus. The athletes has without any medical guidance been able to put desired medication into the Nebulizator for inhalation. According to the report this practice was stopped during last autumn.
Det at reseptpliktige legemiddel har vært lett tilgjengelige i smøretraileren er i strid med god medisinsk praksis. Rutinene har således vært mangelfulle. Gjennom den etter forholdene dårlige kontrollen av legemidler i traileren har det vært muligheter for utøvere å inhalere legemidler via forstøver uten på forhånd å ha kontakt med en lege.
Uten tvil har det at reseptpliktige legemidler har vært fritt tilgjengelige i smøretraileren vært i strid med gjeldende regelverk for håndtering av legemidler. Flere av utøverne har selv reagert på rutinene omkring inhalasjon, og enkelte har opplevd det som uriktig. Dette gjelder spesielt utøvere som har kommet inn som ny på landslaget. (12.4.2)
The medicine bag has been handled without any clear routines during camps. They’ve found out that other personnel than the medical doctors have delivered medicals to the athletes without any clearance from the doctors. Furthermore they’ve found out that single athletes have picked up drugs from the medical bag without clearance from the doctors. :surprised: :surprised:
Utvalget legger til grunn at det har vært til dels dårlige og uklare rutiner knyttet til utlevering av, og tilgang til, legemidler fra medisinkoffertene. Utvalget legger til grunn at legemidler i all hovedsak har blitt utlevert av lege selv eller av annet helsepersonell etter forutgående avklaring med lege. Utvalget har imidlertid gjennom intervjuer fått opplysninger som kan tyde på at helsepersonell uten klarering med lege har utlevert legemidler til utøver. (2.14)
Utvalget har gjennom intervjuer også fått opplysninger som kan tyde på at utøver selv har hentet legemidler i medisinkofferten, samtidig som det for utvalget er uklart om dette har skjedd etter forutgående klarering med helsepersonell. (12.13.2)
 
Jan 3, 2016
300
0
0
Re: Re:

Kikkan Randall asks 'does Norway get special treatment?' in this article http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/far-utovere-fra-norge-spesialbehandling-spor-kikkan-randall-for-dopingmotet-med-fis/67321512 in her role as athlete's rep at FIS meeting, where the petition for stronger doping control was discussed. She refers specifically to the Sundby and Johaug cases, noting the silence and the summer suspension for Sundby. Løfshus answers no, he thinks FIS are tough on Norway :lol:

And in another article, http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/vintersport/langrenn/Norges-Skiforbund-til-nytt-angrep-pa-profilerte-kritikere---For-enkelt-a-sitte-i-Akersgata-og-slenge-dritt-230950b.html Løfhus is still complaining about the media - bigly.
 
Re: Re:

Blaaswix said:
Kikkan Randall asks 'does Norway get special treatment?' in this article http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/far-utovere-fra-norge-spesialbehandling-spor-kikkan-randall-for-dopingmotet-med-fis/67321512 in her role as athlete's rep at FIS meeting, where the petition for stronger doping control was discussed. She refers specifically to the Sundby and Johaug cases, noting the silence and the summer suspension for Sundby. Løfshus answers no, he thinks FIS are tough on Norway :lol:

And in another article, http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/vintersport/langrenn/Norges-Skiforbund-til-nytt-angrep-pa-profilerte-kritikere---For-enkelt-a-sitte-i-Akersgata-og-slenge-dritt-230950b.html Løfhus is still complaining about the media - bigly.
Norwegian XC-trainer Vidar Løfshus is clearly a man not in balance and under lot of pressure. This interview in VG is one of the most bizarre I've read in a long time, reminds me quite a lot of how Trump is acting. Firing at Swedish hockey players in NHL might be one of the worst ideas so far. My read of this is that Vidar Løfshus more or less is saying: In NHL they dope a lot, Sweden has a lot of players in NHL who also dope, why do you point at us? We have success in skiing, you have success in hockey, why bother so much with the path we took?

http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/ski-vm-2017/skisjefen-slaar-tilbake-svenskene-boer-rydde-i-egen-bakgaard/a/23930885/
 
Jan 3, 2016
300
0
0
Re: Re:

Discgear said:
Blaaswix said:
Kikkan Randall asks 'does Norway get special treatment?' in this article http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/far-utovere-fra-norge-spesialbehandling-spor-kikkan-randall-for-dopingmotet-med-fis/67321512 in her role as athlete's rep at FIS meeting, where the petition for stronger doping control was discussed. She refers specifically to the Sundby and Johaug cases, noting the silence and the summer suspension for Sundby. Løfshus answers no, he thinks FIS are tough on Norway :lol:

And in another article, http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/vintersport/langrenn/Norges-Skiforbund-til-nytt-angrep-pa-profilerte-kritikere---For-enkelt-a-sitte-i-Akersgata-og-slenge-dritt-230950b.html Løfhus is still complaining about the media - bigly.
Norwegian XC-trainer Vidar Løfshus is clearly a man not in balance and under lot of pressure. This interview in VG is one of the most bizarre I've read in a long time, reminds me quite a lot of how Trump is acting. Firing at Swedish hockey players in NHL might be one of the worst ideas so far. My read of this is that Vidar Løfshus more or less is saying: In NHL they dope a lot, Sweden has a lot of players in NHL who also dope, why do you point at us? We have success in skiing, you have success in hockey, why bother so much with the path we took?

http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/ski-vm-2017/skisjefen-slaar-tilbake-svenskene-boer-rydde-i-egen-bakgaard/a/23930885/
I see your article and I raise you:
:Donald Løfshus suggests Johaug tested positive because of....the media

http://www.vg.no/sport/ski-vm-2017/norges-langrennssjef-mener-mediepress-bidro-til-johaugs-dopingsak/a/23930992/

"We were a stressed organisation. When the Martin case came, we were without a chief doctor that could take the impact and explain in technical terms what had happened...if we had focused better, we would perhaps have avoided (the Johaug case)." When asked if it was the media's fault, Løfshus answers thereafter 'yes'.

:rolleyes:
 
Re: Re:

Blaaswix said:
Discgear said:
Blaaswix said:
Kikkan Randall asks 'does Norway get special treatment?' in this article http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/far-utovere-fra-norge-spesialbehandling-spor-kikkan-randall-for-dopingmotet-med-fis/67321512 in her role as athlete's rep at FIS meeting, where the petition for stronger doping control was discussed. She refers specifically to the Sundby and Johaug cases, noting the silence and the summer suspension for Sundby. Løfshus answers no, he thinks FIS are tough on Norway :lol:

And in another article, http://www.aftenposten.no/100Sport/vintersport/langrenn/Norges-Skiforbund-til-nytt-angrep-pa-profilerte-kritikere---For-enkelt-a-sitte-i-Akersgata-og-slenge-dritt-230950b.html Løfhus is still complaining about the media - bigly.
Norwegian XC-trainer Vidar Løfshus is clearly a man not in balance and under lot of pressure. This interview in VG is one of the most bizarre I've read in a long time, reminds me quite a lot of how Trump is acting. Firing at Swedish hockey players in NHL might be one of the worst ideas so far. My read of this is that Vidar Løfshus more or less is saying: In NHL they dope a lot, Sweden has a lot of players in NHL who also dope, why do you point at us? We have success in skiing, you have success in hockey, why bother so much with the path we took?

http://www.vg.no/sport/langrenn/ski-vm-2017/skisjefen-slaar-tilbake-svenskene-boer-rydde-i-egen-bakgaard/a/23930885/
I see your article and I raise you:
:Donald Løfshus suggests Johaug tested positive because of....the media

http://www.vg.no/sport/ski-vm-2017/norges-langrennssjef-mener-mediepress-bidro-til-johaugs-dopingsak/a/23930992/

"We were a stressed organisation. When the Martin case came, we were without a chief doctor that could take the impact and explain in technical terms what had happened...if we had focused better, we would perhaps have avoided (the Johaug case)." When asked if it was the media's fault, Løfshus answers thereafter 'yes'.

:rolleyes:
:surprised: With such leaders, NSF is clearly it's worst enemy by itself. I'm beginning to wonder if there's something more in the pipeline which hasn't gone public yet. Vidar has clearly lost it. :redface:
 
Just summarizing todays rampage by Norwegian XC-coach Vidar Løfshus.

• He marked three chairs at today’s press-conference with the names of journalists he dislikes since they've been critical: Pettersson Swedish Expressen, Leersven Norwegian TV and Welhaven Norwegian Verdens gang.
• He accused Norwegian media to be guilty of Johaug’s doping because of the stress they did put on the organization after Johnsrud Sundby case.
• He points finger at the Swedish XC-boss, calls him ignorant and petty
• He says that the job of the Swedish XC-boss is to bring in sponsors and not to speak negative about the sport (which is synonymous with Norway of course)
• He says he will take a serious talk with American skier Randall since she said the Johnsrud Sundby case shows that Norway operates in gray areas.
• He accused Swedish NHL-players of doping
• He accused Swedish media of being unserious
• Swedish journalist Anrell is pathetic

With reservation that I missed out on a few things. Vidar Løfshus apart from the obious Trumpiness, reminds me of Michael Douglas in Falling down.
 
Discgear said:
BullsFan22 said:
It's official now, no Lahti for Legkov and co. A real shame.
Here's one journalist who agrees with you. He calls the ban a miscarriage of justice and the whole handling repulsive.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/kronikorer/tomas-pettersson/pettersson-det-kanns-enbart-motbjudande/
NB, Pettersson is one of Norwegian coach Vidar Løfshus prime hate objects as of today. :D

I say 'shame' because of what's transpired regarding Norway. Sundby failed two tests within three weeks. He wasn't given a temporary suspension, was allowed to race, win races and prize money. This was kept from the public for 18 months and once he was given a suspension, it was two months, during the summer. He didn't miss anything. The only races that were annulled were the two he tested positive in. What should have happened is that once his B samples were tested following the first test (on December 14, 2014) he should have been suspended immediately. The Russians were suspended because of a 'report.' This report is largely through the 'eyes' of one man, Grigory Rodchenkov. How can they suspend athletes that had nothing to do with their samples? Once the samples are taken, they are moved away from the venue to be tested in a certified lab. When was the last time an athlete was responsible for his/her samples? Irrespective of doping or not. I would say the same thing had this happened to any other athlete, from any other country.
 
Discgear said:
BullsFan22 said:
It's official now, no Lahti for Legkov and co. A real shame.
Here's one journalist who agrees with you. He calls the ban a miscarriage of justice and the whole handling repulsive.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/kronikorer/tomas-pettersson/pettersson-det-kanns-enbart-motbjudande/
NB, Pettersson is one of Norwegian coach Vidar Løfshus prime hate objects as of today. :D

BTW, thanks for the article! You are right, he agrees with me, or I agree with him. Blood doping or EPO or blood transfusions is pretty blatant. It's something that shouldn't be happening. A life time ban, in my opinion, is a bit harsh though. Matveeva was caught as a relatively young skier, U23, and served the suspension and is now racing well again under a German coach. The same coach that works with Legkov, Belov, Ustiugov, Chekaleva, and in the past was the head coach for the Swiss and the development team coach for the Germans, Marcus Kramer. Everyone should get a second chance, no matter the methods used. My problem isn't FIS or WADA catching dopers, my concern is the double standards and the politics surrounding the Russians.
 
Norway is getting all the respect and understanding from authorities they could dream up, but still key players are opting to go full genius? I think the phrase is called for here?
At Biathlon worlds they were not great. Let's seehow they're going to suffer from "the press". I suspect Bjoergen will nog be affected somehow. Other skiers are like Asterix when a brawl with the Romans is scheduled before supper, she's like Obelix.
 
Re:

Cloxxki said:
Norway is getting all the respect and understanding from authorities they could dream up, but still key players are opting to go full genius? I think the phrase is called for here?
At Biathlon worlds they were not great. Let's seehow they're going to suffer from "the press". I suspect Bjoergen will nog be affected somehow. Other skiers are like Asterix when a brawl with the Romans is scheduled before supper, she's like Obelix.

Love the Asterix and Obelix reference. It's exactly what this is. It seems like Bjoergen fell into a big of medication years ago and she is still reaping the benefits. Actually she is still probably jumping into the cauldron and is beating all those pesky Romans (Swedes, Finns, Russians, Americans, Germans....everyone pretty much).
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY