• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Driving into cyclists the Emma way

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

winkybiker said:
42x16ss said:
Here’s some more:

24862078_10156817011563362_5010345397724709775_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/warren.tomlinson.39

DO NOT read the comments.

I reported the linked post above to Facebook as a post that incited or encouraged violence. I'd encourage others to do the same, but not to engage in the idiotic conversation on that post.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Guess I'm the other way around; whenever someone talk about riding their bike (meaning motorbike) I'm basically: "No, you were riding your motorbike. The bike - short for bicycle - came first."

("I'm the other way around." Can you even say that? Well... I just did!)
I realise the history but language is an evolving thing. In this case it demonstrates the loss of cycling's legitimacy in the consciousness of Australians.

Keep in mind that since the collapse in cycling participation in the 1990s, especially in the number of kids cycling to school, we now have generation of kids today whose parents have never ridden a bicycle. This is the new normal in Australia.

Just back on the use of the term "pushbike", this morning I had a tradie come around to repair a sliding door. Upon seeing me with a missing leg he asked me what happened and I gave my usual - "it was a cycling accident" response. After a bit of a pause, he then asked "pushbike?" "Yes" I replied.

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Just back on the use of the term "pushbike", this morning I had a tradie come around to repair a sliding door. Upon seeing me with a missing leg he asked me what happened and I gave my usual - "it was a cycling accident" response. After a bit of a pause, he then asked "pushbike?" "Yes" I replied.
don't forget, "riding along on my pushbike, honey..." "sshh, sshh, aah"...

as for the dashcam post - how did the driver not see the rider??

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:

You're. Missing. Your. LEG?

Well, I guess your profile picture kinda gives it away...

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:

You're. Missing. Your. LEG?

Well, I guess your profile picture kinda gives it away...
Lower left leg, yes. Result of a cycling accident while out on a morning ride. Bit over 10 years ago. Long story, negligence by local council in their response to dealing with local car hoons. Dealt with hoon problem but endangered cyclists in the process.

The Tennessee (former) headmaster (I posted details of previously) who was filmed on GoPro sideswiping a bicyclist with his Volvo shooting brake and speeding away is scheduled to go to trial on 29 May of next year.

...If convicted of the federal charges, Neely faces 2-12 years in prison on the reckless aggravated assault charge; up to 5 years in prison for lying to a federal agent; and up to 20 years in prison for obstructing justice....

In interviews after the fact (presumedly once he'd sobered up), he continued to refer to his victim as the 'unfortunate young man who struck his car.'

StyrbjornSterki said:
The Tennessee (former) headmaster (I posted details of previously) who was filmed on GoPro sideswiping a bicyclist with his Volvo shooting brake and speeding away is scheduled to go to trial on 29 May of next year.

...If convicted of the federal charges, Neely faces 2-12 years in prison on the reckless aggravated assault charge; up to 5 years in prison for lying to a federal agent; and up to 20 years in prison for obstructing justice....

In interviews after the fact (presumedly once he'd sobered up), he continued to refer to his victim as the 'unfortunate young man who struck his car.'

The delusions of alcohol and characters that are bad enough before they start drinking.

I'm sorry... what? Being high is an excuse for hitting someone? What the *** is wrong with people? "Unfortunately breaking one law caused me to accidentally break another."

Hitting people is illegal in Australia, right? From some of the cases being posted around here, I'm kinda not sure...

It’s supposedly illegal, but you’re never certain what the consequences for the driver will be. The driver will always have excuses offered up for them by certain demographics.

Read the whole article, it’s a prime example of where this selfish, ridiculous country is at ATM.

Re:

42x16ss said:
It’s supposedly illegal, but you’re never certain what the consequences for the driver will be. The driver will always have excuses offered up for them by certain demographics.

Read the whole article, it’s a prime example of where this selfish, ridiculous country is at ATM.

The judge would have to be on ice to give her a sentence reduction. I don't think it's going to happen, well you can only hope. I'm sure victims advocate groups would be up in arms about it if the sentence was reduced. Either way, there is no cure for stupidity and immoral behavior and jail often doesn't change people anyway, sometimes it just makes people worse. These are the cases that the courts and legal practitioners have to get right with their sentencing and also aligning with community expectations.

Ireland takes a stand against driving too close to cyclists:

The new regulations will need to be approved by the Irish Attorney General before they can be implemented, and will see a minimum passing distance (MPD) of one metre on roads with a speed limit of 50kmh (31mph) or less and a MPD of 1.5 metres on roads with a speed limit of more than 50kmh.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/irish-government-to-introduce-new-law-making-close-passes-illegal-371166

Always nice to see the law eventually catch up with common sense. Of course drivers at least here in the U.S. don't take mph too seriously and might not take mpd, either.

TRENDING THREADS