• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Drugs in rugby

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Doctors urge schools to ban tackling in rugby

More than 70 doctors and academics are calling for a ban on tackling in rugby matches played in UK and Irish schools.

Take out the drugs? No, take out the tackling.

Ludicrous, outrageous, unbelievable, are some words that come to mind. On BBC news just now the presenter, Yalda Hakim, interviewing a rugby coach in Sydney, asked him, "Why can't they play touch football?" His very patient answer: "Because rugby involves tackling."

Next year they'll be calling for a ban on leaving the house . . . .

Re:

Maxiton said:

More than 70 doctors and academics are calling for a ban on tackling in rugby matches played in UK and Irish schools.

Ludicrous, outrageous, unbelievable, are some words that come to mind. On BBC news just now the presenter, Yalda Hakim, interviewing a rugby coach in Sydney, asked him, "Why can't they play touch football?" His very patient answer: "Because rugby involves tackling."

Drugs are already banned in UK schools (discounting licensed ones of course and even then you'll need a note).

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Maxiton said:

Drugs are already banned in UK schools (discounting licensed ones of course and even then you'll need a note).

I'm quite sure they are, but I had to keep it on topic. :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Maxiton said:

CTE. In USA youth 'soccer' there is no heading the ball under 13. CTE.

Of course the drugs is an issue, but as already posted it is already banned.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Maxiton said:

I'm not familiar with the drug situation in UK school rugby, but something tells me it's not much of an issue, certainly not with the younger kids. But heading the ball in soccer is not the same as tackling in rugby. You can have an entire, entirely good soccer game without heading. Pretty hard to have a real rugby match without tackling.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Maxiton said:
Benotti69 said:
Maxiton said:

I'm not familiar with the drug situation in UK school rugby, but something tells me it's not much of an issue, certainly not with the younger kids. But heading the ball in soccer is not the same as tackling in rugby. You can have an entire, entirely good soccer game without heading. Pretty hard to have a real rugby match without tackling.

Creatine and similar substances are a problem in youth Rugby in Ireland and i guess other 6 nation countries as well.

The call for a ban in tackling is to do with CTE where the head shakes violenty when the body is abruptly brought to a halt or change of direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennet_Omalu

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
Maxiton said:
Benotti69 said:
Maxiton said:

Creatine and similar substances are a problem in youth Rugby in Ireland and i guess other 6 nation countries as well.

The call for a ban in tackling is to do with CTE where the head shakes violenty when the body is abruptly brought to a halt or change of direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennet_Omalu

Well, in that case I guess we might as well ban the sport. Can't have those fragile little flowers involved in violence of any kind.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Maxiton said:
Benotti69 said:
After the CTE findngs by a Nigerian Doctor why anyone would want to play a sport that destroys the brain is beyond me, but maybe it is a prime example of Darwinism.

Rugby, NFL, boxing, MMA, kickboxing: all sports that destroy the brain.

TV, smartphones, Internet: also arguably destroy the brain (or at least deform it), along with privacy, as well as, ultimately, liberty. And yet we embrace it. More Darwinism?

i prefer the short cut that an ice-pick frontal lobotomy solves.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

blackcat said:
Maxiton said:
Benotti69 said:
After the CTE findngs by a Nigerian Doctor why anyone would want to play a sport that destroys the brain is beyond me, but maybe it is a prime example of Darwinism.

TV, smartphones, Internet: also arguably destroy the brain (or at least deform it), along with privacy, as well as, ultimately, liberty. And yet we embrace it. More Darwinism?

Cheers, blackcat.

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
The sports regulatory view of creatine seems to be all over the shop. It is not banned, nor considered a PED, by most sporting bodies of European team sports. But is banned by the NCAA in college sports, performance in which is hugely influential in who gets through to the big US pro sports.

By contrast, European footballers were openly taking it in the 90s, and in the case of one well known batsman, it's mentioned in his Wisden Cricketer of the Year profile as him having built up his muscles with it. There is clearly no consensus on creatine at a governance level

May 26, 2010
Visit site

blackcat said:
Maxiton said:
Benotti69 said:

You Trotskyist :D

Back to Union today, and UKAD bans a WRU player for two years f

Adam Buttifant, who played for Bargoed RFC, tested positive for metabolites of dehydrochloromethyl-testosterone (an anabolic steroid) following an out-of-competition test on 8 June 2015.

Press release:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/welsh-rugby-union-player-banned-for-two-years

Full Decision:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/7007

Paragraph 45 of the full decision in quite striking. I would have thought myself that this was an open and shut 4 year ban. However, I am less moved that the tribunal in the circumstances surrounding the case.

Joseph Phelps, who played for Hafodyrynys RFC (Swalec Nation League Division 3 East B - literally the bottom tier of Welsh Rugby), tested positive for nandrolone following an out-of-competition test on 16 June 2015.

Press release:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/welsh-rugby-union-player-banned-for-four-years

Full decision:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/7029

Copy of notice of dismissal of appeal
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/b/7029
In essence, he missed filing deadlines for the appeal. Not that there seems to be any grounds.

Taking the sequence as laid out in paragraph 32.
He used facebook to find someone, met them at Morrisons, got advice from a known doper at a doping gym, injected himself, and then failed to disclose this.

If he did have ED issues, and was embarrassed about it (as he claims) well those issues are laid out large for the world to see now.

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
VO2 Max said:
Because these guys are just standard Valleys roidheads that happen to play for the village rugby team.

Yep. And the WRU are patting themselves on the back that the testing is working...and ignoring possible problems elsewhere.

UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) today confirmed that three English rugby union players, Andrew Quarry, Brandon Walker and Connor Stapley, have been suspended from all sport for twelve, four and two years respectively following Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRVs)

Press release:
http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/three-rugby-union-players-banned-from-all-sport/

Andrew Quarry played for Kendal (Tier 6), and was banned for 12 years after a criminal case had been tried by the Crown court, and was also imprisoned for 12 months by that court for Supply of Class C drugs (steroids) via a gym..
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/7072

In a separate steroid case Brandon Walker, who was registered with Esher RFC ( National League 1 so Tier 3) admitted taking oxandrolone. So got the standard 4 year ban.
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/7073

Finally, Connor Stapley, who was registered with Henley RFC, (Also National League 1, but the club was relegated) tested positive for the presence of metabolites of anabolic agents methandienone and mesterolone. He argued a contaminated supplement, and the panel concluded the taking was not intentional and he was given a reduced 2 year ban.
http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule-violations/download-decision/a/7074