• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dumoulin.

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
BigMac said:
Brullnux said:
He'd beat Froome climbing like this.

He might not have, but it was unreal regardless.

Going to watch the rest of this race with popcorn.
Honestly think he would've. Dumoulin did all work for the whole climb, like Quintana, and beat him by almost 10 seconds. Not even Froome could do that.

Froome beat Quintana by more than 10 seconds multiple times. And Quintana isn't looking too strong, surely not at his best. That's why I think Froome would still have beaten everyone here today. But yeah, that's really beyond the point. Dumoulin was nuclear.

BigMac said:
Brullnux said:
BigMac said:
Brullnux said:
He'd beat Froome climbing like this.

He might not have, but it was unreal regardless.

Going to watch the rest of this race with popcorn.
Honestly think he would've. Dumoulin did all work for the whole climb, like Quintana, and beat him by almost 10 seconds. Not even Froome could do that.

Froome beat Quintana by more than 10 seconds multiple times. And Quintana isn't looking too strong, surely not at his best. That's why I think Froome would still have beaten everyone here today. But yeah, that's really beyond the point. Dumoulin was nuclear.
Not on a 6km irregular climb with Quintana so close to his best.

I thoroughly disagree that Quintana isn't good. He out 6.2 w/kg on Blockhaus. He is better now than at any point in 2016.

Well, I say Quintana isn't looking strong because usually he'd have ended most's chances with that attack, but to see so many riders still hanging in there... Safe to say Zakarin, Landa, all equally stupid-radioactive. Although they benefited from Dumoulin's effort to reel Nairo back, so...

I don't even know anymore. This was just too painful to watch.

GraftPunk said:
meat puppet said:
Well, now we know.

Yup. Fresh as a daisy in interviews as well. Ugh.

That's funny you say that. I remember watching in the 80's (pre-EPO, etc.) and the riders (winner included) would be exhausted after a mountaintop finish like this. Even 15-20 minutes post-race, they could barely give a coherent interview or at least they showed they gave an all-out effort. Sure lots of those guys were juiced, but the guys today just seem like they were on a nice, easy jaunt around the neighborhood. Doesn't seem possible or normal.

benzwire said:
GraftPunk said:
meat puppet said:
Well, now we know.

Yup. Fresh as a daisy in interviews as well. Ugh.

That's funny you say that. I remember watching in the 80's (pre-EPO, etc.) and the riders (winner included) would be exhausted after a mountaintop finish like this. Even 15-20 minutes post-race, they could barely give a coherent interview or at least they showed they gave an all-out effort. Sure lots of those guys were juiced, but the guys today just seem like they were on a nice, easy jaunt around the neighborhood. Doesn't seem possible or normal.
But it's the adrenaline...

Can't remember the exact stage and year, but I recall Indurain riding everyone off his wheel one-by-one on shallowish gradient climb during one of his victorious Tours. This today was eerily similar.

The numbers which have come out thus far seem to suggest Quintana is close to his best, which was supported by his obvious disbelief when seeing Dumoulin coming closer and closer.

As the real mountain stages are still to come, we cannot really say yet how far forward Dumoulin has actually come, but getting so close to Pantani's time is impossible to overlook. Specially as the latter was effectively sprinting all the way up the climb after his mechanical. Nature of the stage certainly helped Tom, but still this was beyond believable.

I say this with tongue in cheek that Dumoulin must be clean and honest because he got upset about Wiggins and the TUE's. Our commentator has said a few times now that Dumoulin is the same weight as Froome but I can't believe that looking at him but to drop top class climbers like a champion climber would. What's going on?

Also I think Quintana got angry and sat up to make him look worse (doper) after the way Dumoulin rode that climb.

TRENDING THREADS