• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Dutch Beer Race) Amstel Gold Race 2021, 216.7k. Sunday.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Pick the winner.

• Pidcock / Kwiatkowski

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Bagioli / Vansevenant / Alaphilippe

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Schachmann / Schelling

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • van Aert / Roglic

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Valverde

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Hirschi

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Fuglsang

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Hindsgaul Madsen

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • All these choices are ridiculous, I'm making my ballot invalid.

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When was the last time that Amstel ended in a sprint of 15-20 riders? Zabel in 2000?

Conditions will be dry, it's really a semi classic here, way too short...so yes...a small group sprint.

There was a bunch sprint up the Cauberg in 2005 or whatever the year there was fog and zero coverage as the result

Edit: google says it was a smaller group than I remembered, but still a group sprint

Edit 2: probably 40 riders at a glance
View: https://youtu.be/P5gkMuw99aw?t=154

Last edited:
Reactions: SafeBet
Wout: "Yeah so, I heard you'll be working for me."
Roglic: "What! I heard just the opposite."

Ey89Ma2XAAIGa1m

btw, if people truelly expect the race to be easier they underestimate this circuit by a long shot. Coming from a local ;)

It's a lot of corners, uphill, downhill, no recovery.
But it's always technical, and the hardest hills aren't there. Maybe a reduced bunch sprint is overstating it looking at Brabantse Pijl, but that at least had steeper hills even if shorter.

I think Cauberg is the sort of hill that doesn't create much seperation between larger groups at all, just between individuals short range.

I do think GP Montreal is perhaps the best comparison, and that's seen a lot of larger group sprints.

But it's always technical, and the hardest hills aren't there. Maybe a reduced bunch sprint is overstating it looking at Brabantse Pijl, but that at least had steeper hills even if shorter.

I think Cauberg is the sort of hill that doesn't create much seperation between larger groups at all, just between individuals short range.

I do think GP Montreal is perhaps the best comparison, and that's seen a lot of larger group sprints.
i really don't see any remote chance of it ending a group sprint unless they race it as in the cauberg finish years.

I mean it's sad theres no VDP to guarantee racing at 50km+ but if anyone else is aggresive early, it's gonna be a very small selection.

Reactions: Sandisfan
i really don't see any remote chance of it ending a group sprint unless they race it as in the cauberg finish years.

I mean it's sad theres no VDP to guarantee racing at 50km+ but if anyone else is aggresive early, it's gonna be a very small selection.
Every big circuit race with a simlar profile in the last few years wasn't all that selective. I think Bergen 2017 is another example.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS