• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Dutch Beer Race) Amstel Gold Race 2021, 216.7k. Sunday.

Pick the winner.

• Pidcock / Kwiatkowski

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Bagioli / Vansevenant / Alaphilippe

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Schachmann / Schelling

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • van Aert / Roglic

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Valverde

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Hirschi

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Fuglsang

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Hindsgaul Madsen

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • All these choices are ridiculous, I'm making my ballot invalid.

Votes: 12 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
amstel-gold-race.png

amstel-gold-race-2021-result-profile-090faf64a7.jpg

amstel-gold-race-2021-result-map-367da652b0.png

Look at this, I can read a road book and found a profile. :sunglasses:

Everyone who can't pronounce Geulhemmerberg and Bemelerberg correctly after this race will be disqualified from watching cycling races for one year.
Every wrong syllable you say you have to drink a glass of water to clear your head from all this spinning around.

But don't rely on early startlists.

Everyone who can't pronounce Geulhemmerberg and Bemelerberg correctly after this race will be disqualified from watching cycling races for one year.
Every wrong syllable you say you have to drink a glass of water to clear your head from all this spinning around.
I'll take a glass of beer instead of water, thank you.

What's up with the shorter race length? AGR used to be the only non-monument race with monument distance. Is it because of the circuit with bergs from the start?

I'll take a glass of beer instead of water, thank you.

What's up with the shorter race length? AGR used to be the only non-monument race with monument distance. Is it because of the circuit with bergs from the start?
The fact that it is a local circuit and the women also have to do their race on the same day might have something to do with it. Not sure when the women start, but it's probably quite early already.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Don't really know whether this is harder or easier than usually. There is no long flat stretch and riding the Cauberg twelve times is quite a lot. However this race is now missing the sequence of steep climbs before the Cauberg that is usually crucial. Don't know if the Cauberg in isolation can do that much damage.

Don't really know whether this is harder or easier than usually. There is no long flat stretch and riding the Cauberg twelve times is quite a lot. However this race is now missing the sequence of steep climbs before the Cauberg that is usually crucial. Don't know if the Cauberg in isolation can do that much damage.
Keep in mind the race is almost 50k shorter. It's a similar length to and an easier lap than Montréal and the climbs aren't narrow either. Pretty pessimistic about this one...

Keep in mind the race is almost 50k shorter. It's a similar length to and an easier lap than Montréal and the climbs aren't narrow either. Pretty pessimistic about this one...
Pretty much.

Cauberg is literally only hard for 200m, Bemeler is easy as all hell, and I think they only do the 2nd half of the Geulhemmerberg.

I think it's probably easier than than Brabantse Pijl this year.

Why isn't Cosnefroy riding this? He looked good in Brabantse Pijl.

I've been asking myself the same question and can only imagine that they want him to focus on Flèche and Liège and not be exhausted. But he can't be really overraced since he hasn't raced much by now and there aren't many races left that suit him so well. Maybe it's also that some riders are just above him in the pecking order and they want some helpers, too.

Many DQS youngsters have won hilly races (or stages) this year. Ok, the competition wasn't AGR level, but I wouldn't underestimate them.

Btw I checked odds for the race. Bagioli and Vansevenant are just outside the top20 as most likely winners. Honore in the top30.

I don't think that's gonna help much with the head-spinning.

Right, anyone has a "rider ranking"? And since this is the "Beer Race", I expect you to use these ":beermug:" rather than regular stars.

Very tough to do a beer rating here. I'm not sure what to expect from the race and there are so many guys who could win this.

:beermug::beermug::beermug::beermug::beermug:+:frenchfries: Roglic, van Aert
:beermug::beermug::beermug::beermug::beermug: Alaphilippe, Pidcock
:beermug::beermug::beermug::beermug:+:frenchfries: Schachmann, Schelling
:beermug::beermug::beermug::beermug: Bagioli
:beermug::beermug::beermug:+ :frenchfries: Trentin, Teuns
:beermug::beermug::beermug: Matthews, Valverde
:beermug::beermug:+:frenchfries: Impey, Stannard, Vansevenant
:beermug::beermug: van Avermaet, Hirschi
:beermug:+:frenchfries: Gogl, Fuglsang
:beermug: Paret-Peintre, Cort, Barguil, Colbrelli

I wanted to do a top20, but... well, counting to 20 is not easy.

Cauberg is literally only hard for 200m, Bemeler is easy as all hell, and I think they only do the 2nd half of the Geulhemmerberg.

they do it in full, as far as I can see. The finish is the same as in 2018:

Da05q9fW0AAw_AL

(via LasterketaBurua)

During the earlier laps, they take a short cut between Geulhemmerberg and Bemelerberg (1k less), but instead there's the plateau leading to the Cauberg

TRENDING THREADS