• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dylan Groenewegen discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Red Rick said:
I don't think he'll get to ride for himself.

Who will? Van Avermaet has to babysit. Vanmarcke has to babysit... So, it's probably Sagan/Gilbert/Terpstra?

BMC is imploding, Van Avermaet is in yellow starting the classics stage and looking for a team. He will not waste a joule on the perpetually unlucky little Australian.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
From high to low.. his steer broke off today, that's why he had the nasty crash, he was a passenger.

Some bruises on his hip and painful knees. He will decide tomorrow wether to continue or not.
Not the best timing with the mountains starting on tuesday
An x-ray at the finish did not give a definitive answer about the exact injury. For that, an MRI scan really needs to be made.

I know one person who is happy that he after all will do Milan-Sanremo and not Catalunya.

When Brian Holm was told during the live commentary that Groenewegen was set to go to Catalunya, he was audibly frustrated and disappointed that the Deceuninck sprinter at the race wouldn't have as easy pickings as usually in that race :lol:

That was quite funny.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Cinemaniak said:
If he can hang on, than he'll be the biggest threat for Viviani, Sagan and Ewan. He showed he can still win after a hard race in P-N.
“Om mee te doen om de overwinning kom ik waarschijnlijk nog te kort. Met dit jaar de Tour én de Vuelta op mijn programma, hoop ik dat beetje extra kracht en inhoud op te doen om daar volgend jaar wel toe in staat te zijn.”
google
“I will probably fall short to participate in the win. With the Tour and the Vuelta on my program this year, I hope to gain that little extra power and content to be able to do that next year.”

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
I hope that they reconsider the team w.r.t him. Gaviria has probably an injury. Some of the others are totally out like Kittel, Cav. He is better than the rest Viviani,Sagan, Mathews,Demare. He has really good chance to win a lot of stages if he has a team.
Chances are he'll not survive the first real mountain stage. If they want to go for GC with Kruijswijck and for some stages with van Aert and Teunissen, i'm not sure they should change too much. I think the current selection can do a proper leadout as well as perform well in the TTT for Kruijswijck.

IndianCyclist said:
I hope that they reconsider the team w.r.t him. Gaviria has probably an injury. Some of the others are totally out like Kittel, Cav. He is better than the rest Viviani,Sagan, Mathews,Demare. He has really good chance to win a lot of stages if he has a team.
Chances are he'll not survive the first real mountain stage. If they want to go for GC with Kruijswijck and for some stages with van Aert and Teunissen, i'm not sure they should change too much. I think the current selection can do a proper leadout as well as perform well in the TTT for Kruijswijck.

Why wouldn't he do that? He did win in Paris two years ago, and last year he had crashed quite heavily a few days before on the cobbled stage.

That said, I agree that they shouldn't change - they have to go all-in for Kruijswijk who has a not insignificant chance to win the race.

IndianCyclist said:
What a load of crap.

Last year he became really injured. Two years ago he won in Paris.

Forgotten? Or is the wish father of the thought? Groenewegen is no climber sprinter, but he's nowhere near Van Hummel territory.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
What a load of crap.

Last year he became really injured. Two years ago he won in Paris.

Forgotten? Or is the wish father of the thought? Groenewegen is no climber sprinter, but he's nowhere near Van Hummel territory.

Yes, that's it. He kicked my puppy once. Why TF would i wish that? lol - Trust me, sprinters are the last thing on my mind, and i have no preference of which one does better or worse. Unless him not getting over the mountains would impact the number of sprinting stages in GT's. In that case, i wish none of them get over the first speedbump. Funny that you should get so defensive over it.

Maybe i remembered last year wrong, I indeed didn't remember he was injured, in combination with the fact that he favors flat sprints maybe. I will send him a personal letter of appology, for having uttered that there is a chance that he might not get over the mountains. I will deliver the letter on my bare knees, blindfolded, as penance.

Re:

fuiers said:
They released his top speed on that sprint from yesterday. 74,1km/h. That is really fast. I just wanted to ask what is the fastest top speed recorded in a sprint?
Tom Boonen won a sprint once with 79,5 km/h, if I recall correctly. And his second stage win in the Tour de France of 2005 was also quite close to 80 km/h.

So one of the best current sprinters will not only go to the Giro instead of the Tour, he will also have to rely on Martin and Pfingsten for leadout instead of his usual men.
It was already planned before the whole coronathing that he was going to ride the Giro, since Jumbo wants to go full for GC in the Tour. With the Giro overlapping with most of the classics, a lot of his helpers will be unavailable for the Giro, so this news isn't really unexpected. Jumbo also sounded very ambitious towards the classics prior to this season.

TRENDING THREADS