• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dylan Groenewegen discussion thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah he did. Tbh I don't think we'll see him in action anymore this season.

Me neither... not only because he's clearly not in a place mentally where he's able to ride, but also because UCI might not be in a hurry to pass judgement in the case against him, could imagine they'd be kind of busy managing the whole COVID-situation, and since Jumbo has said he won't ride until UCI has decided on a punishment...
Now, if he'd shown no remorse - and hadn't been quickly suspended by his team - UCI might have been a bit more of a hurry to get a rider who'd honestly displayed some rather dangerous riding off the road, but as things stand the question of "What to do about Dylan Groenewegen?" might not be the first thing on anyone's mind.

So he is out of the season. I just fear that will he ever be able to get back on the bike and be competitive. This will follow him for the rest of his career. Sprinters are known for their competitive edge. There will always be that little voice inside his head saying what if something like this happens again.

I can't help but feel a bit sorry for him to be honest. He's been made a scapegoat for this accident where the governing body who design the stages / barriers should be more to blame. His move was obviously not intentional. It's just an unfortunate racing accident.
He would have crashed Jakobsen regardless. The result would have been less dramatic, but what he did was still very much not ok.

I can't help but feel a bit sorry for him to be honest. He's been made a scapegoat for this accident where the governing body who design the stages / barriers should be more to blame. His move was obviously not intentional. It's just an unfortunate racing accident.

It was not an unfortunate racing accident. It was bad behaviour. However I would not like it to be the end of his career.

apparently suspended until May.

That’s gonna sting... Still, maybe they should have him suspended until after Jacobsen returns to racing...

P.S.: And I’m probably repeating myself for the umpteenth time: The Tour of Poland should be suspended for 2021... To mull over the mistake of having that abominable finish be a part of an official UCI race!!!

Last edited:
P.S.: And I’m probably repeating myself for the umpteenth time: The Tour of Poland should be suspended for 2021... To mull over the mistake of have that abominable finish be part of an official UCI race!!!

Might be a bit much to completely suspend the race, but maybe the organisers should ask themselves if that really is the only place to have a finish in Katowice.

It would have been completely idiotic, if he got a suspension for one or two months, considering he wasn't going to race this year anymore regardless. Anything less than a 6 month suspension, would have made little to no impact, considering he was injured as well on top of this covid-season. Nine months sounds bad and severe, but Jakobsen got a much more severe "suspension".

Personally i feel, considering the context, that it is a warranted sentence. Does the punishment have to be more severe because of the injuries? For the people thinking it shouldn't (and there is something to be said for it), how would you feel if the drunk who ran your kid over, got away with a fine, like any other drunk driver?

I'm all for more severe punishments when it comes to endangering other riders. Especially when a rider knowingly does so.

That said, i'm still waiting for the UCI to take its part of the blame. And for the organizer using those useless (or worse than useless, considering those boardings were not only "not" helping to prevent further injuries, but were probably responsible for causing more injuries, compared to no boardings at all) boardings. Also, the guy/organization that was responsible for checking the safety, should be sued and fired.

apparently suspended until May.

Pretty ridiculous. The act in itself was not as bad as that of Theo Bos, the horrific consequence of it is in large part on the Pologne organisers.

Bos - Impey was in April, this was in August, with Groenewegen being injured himself. Had they given Bos 9 months, it would have robbed him of an entire season. Had they given Groenewegen a 4 month sanction it wouldn't have impacted him whatsoever. Now he will only lose 3 months of actual racing.

If you want to pretend there is no difference between a sanction at the start of the season or the end/middle of the season, and give a similar punishment, then you are basically saying to go nuts at the end of the season, so they can give you a 4 month ban during winter.

Reactions: Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS