• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dylan Groenewegen discussion thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does the punishment have to be more severe because of the injuries? For the people thinking it shouldn't (and there is something to be said for it), how would you feel if the drunk who ran your kid over, got away with a fine, like any other drunk driver?

It wouldn't happen, because you are mixing up two transgressions.

You have a transgression for drunk driving and a transgression for running over someone, that can happen or not at the same time. If someone does it simultaneously they have an aggravated sentence because of doing two transgressions at the same time.

Unless Groenewegen had some allucinogenic in his blood, it's not the same thing here.

We are always complaining about UCI not being consistent in enforcing the rules. With this decision, how will they act in the future. What's the line between suspending someone for a reckless sprint and a simple DQ? I don't think it would be fair to act case by case without any standards well established beforehand.

It wouldn't happen, because you are mixing up two transgressions.

You have a transgression for drunk driving and a transgression for running over someone, that can happen or not at the same time. If someone does it simultaneously they have an aggravated sentence because of doing two transgressions at the same time.

Unless Groenewegen had some allucinogenic in his blood, it's not the same thing here.

We are always complaining about UCI not being consistent in enforcing the rules. With this decision, how will they act in the future. What's the line between suspending someone for a reckless sprint and a simple DQ? I don't think it would be fair to act case by case without any standards well established beforehand.
It's basically impossible to run someone over who is following the rules, without a transgression. Be it running a red light, deviate from the road onto the pavement/bikelane, driving drunk or whatever. So the point stands. It was also impossible for Groenewegen to ram Jakobsen into the boarding without deviating from his line. It is impossible for a driver to run someone over without making a mistake either. If you ride your car on the bikelane, you also get a fine. If you run someone over doing so, i'm sure people wouldn't expect you to get away with it, by paying a fine.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, I don't know how long it takes for a collarbone to heal, I've never broken one.
But I was mostly thinking; if he hadn't been suspended by the team - and hadn't shown an ounce of remorse - then UCI would probably have had to hand him a punishment much earlier.

Well, Schachmann was riding the Tour two weeks after breaking his in Lombardia. You cna usually train again a week after.

Bos - Impey was in April, this was in August, with Groenewegen being injured himself. Had they given Bos 9 months, it would have robbed him of an entire season. Had they given Groenewegen a 4 month sanction it wouldn't have impacted him whatsoever. Now he will only lose 3 months of actual racing.

If you want to pretend there is no difference between a sanction at the start of the season or the end/middle of the season, and give a similar punishment, then you are basically saying to go nuts at the end of the season, so they can give you a 4 month ban during winter.

He missed most of this season.

But are also arguing that the length of doping bans depends on the time of year it is?

What a shame Groenewegen will only be suspended during his own injury and during the winter (partly the spring). That's no real punishing for what he did to Jacobsen. There are not only the terrible injurys, fysically and mentally. But also the risk that Jacobsen never reach his normal level again, or progress to a higher level (topsprinter). And don't forget the financial arrangement (millions of euro for medical treatment, loss of pricemoney, contrats, whole career....) are still not arranged.

Reactions: Red Rick
So... he's doing the Giro after all...

Team Jumbo Visma | Team Jumbo-Visma adds Groenewegen to Giro d’Italia…

I hope they thought long and hard about this, and just as much for his sake. But, I like this bit:

I have spoken with Fabio before he went to Turkey and it was good to see how well he did there. I am very much looking forward to racing again myself too now and I am glad that I can do that in a beautiful race like the Giro d’Italia.”

Reactions: Tinnekeisabella
I'm interested to see how he'll do, and what this will mean for Dekker. I guess this also means that Kooij will finally get some chances in the smaller stage races, because so far his program was pretty garbage.

Could they be going with Dekker as their main sprinter? Simply because they don't know if Groenewegen is able to - mentally as well as physically - compete in the sprints just yet...

Reactions: Sandisfan
So... he's doing the Giro after all...

Team Jumbo Visma | Team Jumbo-Visma adds Groenewegen to Giro d’Italia…

I hope they thought long and hard about this, and just as much for his sake. But, I like this bit:

I hope the public will be kind for him too. I know what he did was wrong, but Fabio returned, it is now time for Dylan to get back into things.

I wonder if he will have the mental strength to do sprints yet. Maybe some smaller races would have been better to work on that, but maybe Dekker will indeed be more of their sprinter at first and they will see how Dylan copes.

Go Beast mode DG...when they ask, just reply "I'm just here so I don't get fined". IMO, every time you say something about FJ it makes you look worse. Don't try to get the last word man.

There was nothing to gain by you saying that the meting was great, just say, "next question". FJ responded because you put it out to the media. You should have let it stop there, but now you told the media that you are disappointed by FJ's comments, WTH man?! Stop! Talk about bike racing or flowers, but don't talk about FJ with the media anymore!

TRENDING THREADS