• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The rules need to be changed ASAP.

Treating Covid like the bubonic plague is the problem, i.e. when a rider who won a hard stage (Vlasov) is forced to retire the following morning due to testing "positive" for a sickness which evidently had zero effect on him, it becomes unworkable.

By nature, Cycling is an extreme outdoor activity in which its actors will occasionally get sick or injured. This is part of the sport. But you just can't kick them out of the race like this for so little.

So Vlasov is out, jeez. Yeah, it's too much. Imagine Roglic or Pogacar withdrawn from the Tour due to a COVID test (the latter actually was withdrawn from FW due to a false positive).

Reactions: Rackham
Riders might not have symptoms while they're chilling at the hotel, but they might appear during the stage while they're at a high effort. We know covid can affect the lungs severely and doing a 4-5h bike ride with huge efforts does not seem like a good idea.

If I was a pro athlete and had covid, I would refuse to ride, even if I showed no symptons.

I find it almost impossible to say what's best. On the one hand a pro athlete, with the high effort, the heat and everything will probably endanger their body if they ride despite being positive. On the other hand, how are races to be held then? Numbers are rising everywhere, the new variants are so contagious, it's impossible that during a race like the Tour not half the peloton gets it. We need better research to assess the risk for pro athletes, but we don't have that yet.

bubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubble

there are just too many problems with it, during a 3 week race every team is in danger,masks should be back on the menu yesterday,limited number of fans in the finishing area,daily testing and so on

or postpone it to like october or something if making adjustments is impossible in 3 weeks

Last edited:
Reactions: Bolder
bubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubblebubble

there are just too many problems with it, during a 3 week race every team is in danger,masks should be back on the menu yesterday,limited number of fans in the finishing area,daily testing and so on

or postpone it to like october or something if making adjustments is impossible in 3 weeks
Postphoning sounds like the best option. 1 day races work in this climate; stage races, not so much.

Reactions: CJCycling
It's probably an unpopular opinion and I may be biased because all vaccinated people close to me who had covid had only mild or no symptoms. But I really think if a rider tests positive but is feeling fine he should be allowed to race. Whole teams pulling out because of 1 or 2 cases is ridiculous. It's hard to build up hype for any race if everyone's dropping out like this.

Of course they should be allowed to race. There is very little outdoor transmission anyways

If a rider is too sick to continue, they withdraw. The same as it has always been

Bubble and all the preventive actions that they had in place in 2020 should be on for this Tour. It is just that everyone in the western world just went on with their lives, but for the athletes they should still be very careful.

Just put all the required measures again and be done with it. Everyone, including fans and athletes, will be thankful for it.

Reactions: jmdirt and noob
Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
Is it ever going to get back to normal or is this the new normal? Obviously they must have ended the preventive actions too soon, but I just don't know who or what to believe anymore.

Of course they should be allowed to race. There is very little outdoor transmission anyways

If a rider is too sick to continue, they withdraw. The same as it has always been
I'd be more worried about a team/staff passing amongst themselves. The road isn't the only place they're with people and there are plenty instances of indoor close contact. For example, are you going to have your positive rider(s) drive a separate car himself for every transfer?

Yeah, I think cycling is going to need to go back to a bubble system within the teams. If they don't you can guarantee the Tour will be a disaster.

Fans can take care of themselves. I know outside airborne transmission is much less likely than indoor, but maybe also restrict fans on the climbs so they're not in the roadway.

About half the people I know (family and friends/neighbors) have had Covid. I've had it (for me, it was worse than a head cold but not as bad as the flu). It seems to be as endemic as colds and flu. It's going to persist. At some point, I would think that measures for Covid would become whatever they are for colds and flu. For some events and populations, possibly no measures at all should be taken. Just an opinion. I'm borderline demented, so factor that in as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOM and wirral

^^I think this is the best course.

I'm among those nutjobs who are still wearing masks on mass transit and in big, crowded stores. But I have some health issues that could make getting covid a disaster.

Ah here we go again. The doctors from University of facebook are crawling out of the woodwork again.
nothing to do with faceboook and everything to do with a fact that at some point we will have to just keep living with it whether its spreading or not, unless oyu want to get vaccinations every 6 months, lot of people are done with vaccinations anyway already, obviously its a bit different for professional athletes but sooner or later all precautions will have to stop

Reactions: KOM and El Rabbit
nothing to do with faceboook and everything to do with a fact that at some point we will have to just keep living with it whether its spreading or not, unless oyu want to get vaccinations every 6 months, lot of people are done with vaccinations anyway already, obviously its a bit different for professional athletes but sooner or later all precautions will have to stop
That doesn't relate to what the previous poster wrote at all and I don't see how this is even relevant right now. No one is demanding vaccinations every 6 months, barely any country has restrictions anymore anyway, so I don't really understand what the "keep living with it" crowd is demanding - it's exactly what we're doing right now.
The main question here is simply how sports organizer should handle the situation and I don't see a Gladiator style "let them just nuke it out" is a sensible approach.

Yeah, I think cycling is going to need to go back to a bubble system within the teams. If they don't you can guarantee the Tour will be a disaster.

Fans can take care of themselves. I know outside airborne transmission is much less likely than indoor, but maybe also restrict fans on the climbs so they're not in the roadway.

I know that JV and BEX are already in a bubble system which was strictly enforced at the Giro.

Regarding racing while infected, came in contact with the case of a well trained athlete who during a track competition who went there feeling normal and without any symptom and almost fainted in the end of a run, something that never happened during the whole career (which spans for at least 12 years) and, according to the never, never felt so bad before (it was a 10/11 minute effort). That night did a test and came positive, despite having no symptoms.

So, being assymptomatic doesn't say much indeed regarding corona and physical exertion.

TRENDING THREADS