• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Effects of coronavirus on professional races

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah exactly, lol. Sam Bennett felt nothing, got tested, and he was out of the race for no reason.

I hate Covids so much. Imagine how unbearable it would be for Remco right now. QS best bet is close their eyes and don't test Remco, and if they have to, test him and dont tell anyone if hes positive. Simple as, you dont pull him out unless hes psychically unable.

Well first of all Bennet wasn't taken out because he was only positive, but because the results also showed a high enough viral load to infect others.

That being said, as hard as it would be for Remco, to risk infecting others with unknown consequenses is just plain unethical.

Reactions: noob
Well first of all Bennet wasn't taken out because he was only positive, but because the results also showed a high enough viral load to infect others.

That being said, as hard as it would be for Remco, to risk infecting others with unknown consequenses is just plain unethical.

I think there have been slightly more unethical things going on in cycling...

Especially considering how infection sources are everywhere, I really cannot see this "endangering others" side of the story at all. Which our governments apparently can't either.

Its also plain unethical to take drugs to win bike races. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do win a race, whether that means sitting tight on a rona positive in a leaders jersey or do something else. Like everywhere else in life, basically.

I think there have been slightly more unethical things going on in cycling...

Especially considering how infection sources are everywhere, I really cannot see this "endangering others" side of the story at all. Which our governments apparently can't either.

Well sure there are a lot of infectious sources, but that still doesn't mean you as an infectious source should go out and infect others, does it?

The more unethical things happened in cycling argument doesn't affect the ethicallity of another action btw.

I think with long covid still being a big problem for a lot of people who caught the virus for example, it is still a pretty sensible deal that you can still go on if deemed not infectious.

What is asymptomatic? Is that like having an imaginary bike and winning the Tour de france?

It mean you are a carrier but do not feel the effects of the virus. It's one of the biggest issues with Covid because people who have been asymptomatic typically downplay Covid because it did not affect them.

They also are the highest source of transmission. The problem with Covid is that it has mutated several times and one does not know if catching it will be fatal or have serious consequences.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and noob
It mean you are a carrier but do not feel the effects of the virus. It's one of the biggest issues with Covid because people who have been asymptomatic typically downplay Covid because it did not affect them.

They also are the highest source of transmission. The problem with Covid is that it has mutated several times and one does not know if catching it will be fatal or have serious consequences.

One does know that that is extraordinarily unlikely (to be fatal) unless one suddenly has used a time machine to bring oneself to 2020.

Reactions: ashhutch1997
One does know that that is extraordinarily unlikely (to be fatal) unless one suddenly has used a time machine to bring oneself to 2020.

Good grief. People dying isn't even the main issue with Covid-19. It's that medical resources are being exhausted specifically the issue with a massive drop in medical personnel.

There are going to be more pandemics occurring and the world response to Covid-19 has essentially created a situation where another pandemic could be devastating.

• Love
Reactions: noob
Good grief. People dying isn't even the main issue with Covid-19. It's that medical resources are being exhausted specifically the issue with a massive drop in medical personnel.

There are going to be more pandemics occurring and the world response to Covid-19 has essentially created a situation where another pandemic could be devastating.

Oh, please, what the hell does this have to do with whether a bike rider should abandon a race or not?

Reactions: KZD
The only category of moderate "statistical relevance" still experiencing fatal or serious consequences from Covid are the feable, with a series of adverse preexisting medical conditions, like the old and infirm. For the rest of the healthy, better still healthy and vaccinated population, Covid is by now just mild flu. Been vaccinated thrice, had Covid twice (each time after having been vaccinated, with 2 boosters), the first time mild fever for 24 hours (38 c) and then a week of tiredness that's it. The second time I was practically asymptomatic. And everyone I'm aware who have gotten it reported more or less the same. By now Covid is endemic, like other versions of flu, as many if not the majority who have caught it no longer get tested, because they aren't that sick and need to work, pick the kids up from school, buy food, etc., in short get on with their lives, with no quarantine. And so, by now, the disease has spread diffusely among us. Mind you all this after having been vaccinated, missed work, stayed at home, wore a mask off an on for almost three years and come through, along with the overwhelmingly vast majority of the population, still alive. It is thus time to move on and they really shouldn't make riders get tested, when the race organization allows them to be exposed to a roadside general public in the tens and hundreds of thousands. How is this fair? It's like, we'll hold the race for the crowds as if it were pre-Covid days, but if you, a rider, catches it, we'll throw you out of the race.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: hfer07 and Andre
The only category of moderate "statistical relevance" still experiencing fatal or serious consequences from Covid are the feable, with a series of adverse preexisting medical conditions, like the old and infirm. For the rest of the healthy, better still healthy and vaccinated population, Covid is by now just mild flu. Been vaccinated thrice, had Covid twice (each time after having been vaccinated, with 2 boosters), the first time mild fever for 24 hours (38 c) and then a week of tiredness that's it. The second time I was practically asymptomatic. And everyone I'm aware who have gotten it reported more or less the same. By now Covid is endemic, like other versions of flu, as many if not the majority who have caught it no longer get tested, because they aren't that sick and need to work, pick the kids up from school, buy food, etc., in short get on with their lives, with no quarantine. And so, by now, the disease has spread diffusely among us. Mind you all this after having been vaccinated, missed work, stayed at home, wore a mask off an on for almost three years and come through, along with the overwhelmingly vast majority of the population, still alive. It is thus time to move on and they really shouldn't make riders get tested, when the race organization allows them to be exposed to a roadside general public in the tens and hundreds of thousands. How is this fair? It's like, we'll hold the race for the crowds as if it were pre-Covid days, but if you, a rider, catches it, we'll throw you out of the race.
When I had Covid earlier this year I had an awful cough for around 3 weeks and couldn't ride harder than zone 1. And this disease is still killing people - I lost an extended family member earlier this week.

The severity of cases may be less for most but its not something you can race with, even if it's mild - see Majka at the TdF

almost 3 years dealing with all this Covid BS with all the latest data, latest statistics, YET Professional athletes are among the ones paying the highest price due to a "global consent" on keeping this madness alive & going for as long as possible :mad:

Yates among other cyclists that have been removed from competition due to a Covid positive -NOT Covid Illness were and are being robbed of potential wins i.e. stage wins, race wins, WT points, etc - all because UCI says PCR tests threshold is 42 - which has been regarded among the scientific community as an absurdity and abuse of the WHO & all the Western Health Organizations.

Last edited:
Reactions: tobydawq
Covid is not 'just mild flu'.

It's people treating it like the mild flu that is *** it up for the rest of us & getting people killed.

almost 3 years dealing with all this Covid BS with al the latest data, latest statistics, YET Professional athletes are among the ones paying the highest price due to a "global consent" on keeping this madness alive & going for as long as possible :mad:

Yates among other cyclists that have been removed from competition due to a Covid positive -NOT Covid Illness were being robbed of potential wins i.e. stage wins, race wins, WT points, etc - all because UCI says PCR tests threshold is 42 - which has been regarded among the scientific community as an absurdity and abuse of the WHO & all the Western Health Organizations.
I guess you don’t understand that the riders need a high enough viral load and symptoms to be removed, which most are. This is not the place for this, respectfully leave.

I guess you don’t understand that the riders need a high enough viral load and symptoms to be removed, which most are. This is not the place for this, respectfully leave.
:rolleyes:
Based on your statement, I'd like to ask if you truly know how the PCR test works, because the 42 threshold is quite the opposite of what you stated it. ;)
BTW Please provide the scientific prove to refute what I stated, since what I wrote has been scientifically proved over the last year, over and over again by many authorities around the World.

almost 3 years dealing with all this Covid BS with all the latest data, latest statistics, YET Professional athletes are among the ones paying the highest price due to a "global consent" on keeping this madness alive & going for as long as possible :mad:

Yates among other cyclists that have been removed from competition due to a Covid positive -NOT Covid Illness were and are being robbed of potential wins i.e. stage wins, race wins, WT points, etc - all because UCI says PCR tests threshold is 42 - which has been regarded among the scientific community as an absurdity and abuse of the WHO & all the Western Health Organizations.
I've seen this quite a few times weirdly today, I'm not sure if people are confusing Yates with Sivakov, but Yates was tested because he had a fever and body aches.

Reactions: search
I've seen this quite a few times weirdly today, I'm not sure if people are confusing Yates with Sivakov, but Yates was tested because he had a fever and body aches.

Fair enough. I wasn't fully aware of Yates situation in depth, as already having symptoms & being ill prior to the test. So it was the right call then.
nonetheless my statement stands for those "asymptomatic" riders that get kicked out of a race for a Covid + done randomly by their teams or the race organization

When I had Covid earlier this year I had an awful cough for around 3 weeks and couldn't ride harder than zone 1. And this disease is still killing people - I lost an extended family member earlier this week.

The severity of cases may be less for most but its not something you can race with, even if it's mild - see Majka at the TdF
Naturally sorry for the loss of your family member, however, my convictions remain. Sure Covid still kills people, but that's not the point. Common flu still kills and has since it's inception into the human race. Yet in either case we have to consider the matter endemically and statistically within that segment of the population, and its preexisting medical conditions, that's most prone to suffering the worst effects of Covid and common flu. And ,as far as I can tell, they are the same. If anything, common flu is more lethal.

I've been far sicker, with high fever, caugh that turned to bronchitis numerous times over my life from common flu, than I ever was with Covid. And three of my grandparents died of flu that turned pneumonia, because they were already old with compromised respiratory conditions and various other maladies that afflict the aged, when flu finally did them in; just like the overwhelming majority of cases of people dying with Covid.

At a certain point, we can't as a society remain hostage to an illness, however recent, that's become endemic and no more dangerous than other flu strains. It is undignified paranoia, before the countless plagues that have afflicted humanity throughout history with far, far more terrifying and lethal effects, by a civilization that has come to think it should be immunized from death.

As far as riding is concerned, any illness that becomes sufficiently debilitating will cause a rider to pull out of a race. Not for this, however, are the host of endemic maladies out there which can prevent a rider from continuing being tested, let alone repeatedly, throughout the race, because that would be insane, as otherwise the whole enterprise simply would not function. So they should stop testing for Covid too and, just like any flu, let the contracted rider continue or retire from the race based on the actual clinical situation. Especially since riders are exposed to untested large crowds that come to watch. Well, to then say we'll hold the race for everyone as usual, but if you, rider, test positive, you go home whether actually sick or not (Sivakov) is hypocrisy.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS