• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Emanuel Buchmann thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"After the crash, Emu was taken straight to hospital. A CT scan ruled out any broken bones. He sustained a mild concussion and several bruises on his face and hip. In addition, he has
a wound in his mouth on the inside of his lower lip." – Christopher Edler, Team Doctor

E2FrXhlXEAEof4b

Hope he will be fine soon. I tis really sad that he had to abandon the Giro.
Let's see how it goes this year for him.

The german championship will probably have over 3000 meters in altitude in total.

Kämna is now set for the Tour and Politt will probably be there. In addition Kelderman, Konrad and probably Schilling will join, I would assume. After Ackermann's participation in the tour, Denk publicly put a question mark based on his results in 2021. In this case, there would definitely be a place for Emu as stage hunter.

Or he looks at the Vuelta together with his friends Großschartner and Schachmann. Even with a view to 2022, Buchmann might do well to start on two Grand Tours.

It will depend on what he wants and how he recovers. The crash was really sad he definately had a shot for the podium. :( Fortunately he doesn't seem hurt really bad. Going for the Tour without any pressure could be an option if he recovers well.

I would like to see him target the Vuelta. The Olympics are also a goal for him, so also considering his crash this might go better with a start at there. Also he could go all in for the GC again in Spain.

I think that during the entire Giro he was good but not at his absolute best.
His powernumbers during the first week were a good bit down from what he has shown at the Iztulia, a prep race after all, and the performance at Monte Zoncolan seemed closer to the first week form again than that what he was able to do in Montcalcino.

I believe it would have taken a lot of luck for him to end up on the Podium so maybe this could end up as a blessing in disguise in case he reaches his (real) top level for the Vuelta.

"After the crash, Emu was taken straight to hospital. A CT scan ruled out any broken bones. He sustained a mild concussion and several bruises on his face and hip. In addition, he has
a wound in his mouth on the inside of his lower lip." – Christopher Edler, Team Doctor

E2FrXhlXEAEof4b

Hope he will be fine soon. I tis really sad that he had to abandon the Giro.
Let's see how it goes this year for him.

The german championship will probably have over 3000 meters in altitude in total.

Kämna is now set for the Tour and Politt will probably be there. In addition Kelderman, Konrad and probably Schilling will join, I would assume. After Ackermann's participation in the tour, Denk publicly put a question mark based on his results in 2021. In this case, there would definitely be a place for Emu as stage hunter.

Or he looks at the Vuelta together with his friends Großschartner and Schachmann. Even with a view to 2022, Buchmann might do well to start on two Grand Tours.
I would definitely opt for the Vuelta. TdF with subpar preperation is more likely to be a 2020 scenario and I guess his confidence also took a hit in the last two years. Also, Kämna/Kelderman (and maybe Konrad as some sort of co-leader) are already in the Tour team. So don't know where he would fit with the not ideal preperation anyway.

I think podium would have been difficult, considering his TT isn't exactly a weapon, and he wasn't really outclimbing the other podium contenders either. But that's only based on the first two weeks, and the third week is a lot harder. So just being marginally better in the third week could have been enough to put him on the podium.

It's a month til the TDF starts, i supposed his trainers should be able to tell if it makes sense to target the Tour, based on his current form/numbers. Or if Vuelta is a better idea.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He has uploaded his Zoncoland powerfile to Strava now.

His best 11min power was 373w and came on the last steep part of the Zoncolan. Compare that to the Montecalcino stage where his best 11min on the final climb were 392w.
So he was doing worse again on Monte Zoncolan.
Now you could ask if maybe the first part of that climb took a bit more out of him and those 20w less were to be expected.
So I went and took a look at the powerfiles of Damiano Caruso. And he did 414w on the final climb towards Montecalcino while he managed to increase his 11min power to 422w at the final bit of the Zoncolan.
So that Zoncolan somewhat ended that upwards trend. Maybe its really the cold weather.

I quickly glanced over the profile of the Vuelta and I think the race could suit him well, not too many muritos and a lot of proper long climbs. Also I believe the weather wont be worse than this giro at least.

Reactions: Remy55
His best 11min power was 373w and came on the last steep part of the Zoncolan. Compare that to the Montecalcino stage where his best 11min on the final climb were 392w.
So he was doing worse again on Monte Zoncolan.
That's an interesting one. Especially if we consider that until the Zoncolan, the stage was ridden relatively easy. I suppose Montalcino stage has been much more exhausting to the point they reached the final climb.

You think that might be the case of him actually struggling on such steep climbs, not having the ability to be equally effecient as on the more gentle ones and therefore not being able to push his best watts?

(final climb of Montalcino stage was avg. 6.6% vs last part of Zoncolan 13%, according to Strava)

Last edited:
That's an interesting one. Especially if we consider that until the Zoncolan, the stage was ridden relatively easy. I suppose Montalcino stage has been much more exhausting to the point they reached the final climb.

You think that might be the case of him actually struggling on such steep climbs, not having the ability to be equally effecient as on the more gentle ones and therefore not being able to push his best watts?

(final climb of Montalcino stage was avg. 6.6% vs last part of Zoncolan 13%, according to Strava)

I dont think he would struggle with a high gradient, he is very light so I would say the steeper the better for him. Preferably long and steep. Dan Lorang, his coach, said that he is a rider who is building lactat slower than other pros while his lactate tolerance isnt on the same level.

I looked at some of his performances at the Tour of Basque country and there he had some even higher power outputs (>400w over 10 plus min) on also very steep climbs.

Dan Lorang also said that he doesnt believe a rider can get in much better shape in the course of a GT, best thing possible is that one can retain the same level while others fall off.

He just wasnt at his absolute best I would say, or it was the cold weather, although during that Zoncolan stage the conditions werent all that terrible I guess but clearly not as good weather wise as Montecalcino...

I looked for information a bit in the last days. There is no info. Perhaps he is already preparing for olympia at altitude, or perhaps he really plans to go for the Tour if he recoverd really good. I think we can only speculate.
Perhaps he is going to the Tour as a helper For Keldermann, or stage hunter and then leaving early for the the olymics or he is going all in for the Tour. I don't think that he plans to go for the GC at the Tour.

I looked for information a bit in the last days. There is no info. Perhaps he is already preparing for olympia at altitude, or perhaps he really plans to go for the Tour if he recoverd really good. I think we can only speculate.
Perhaps he is going to the Tour as a helper For Keldermann, or stage hunter and then leaving early for the the olymics or he is going all in for the Tour. I don't think that he plans to go for the GC at the Tour.

without Kämna there should be room for hin in the Tour sqaud

without Kämna there should be room for hin in the Tour sqaud

He hasnt posted any rides on strava either, normally he is very active there. My best bet is that he is still recovering and taking some time off. The Tour seems unlikely that way, which at least I hope to be true. Maybe last year has been a lesson as he rode the Tour injured.
And why would he ride a Tour with low ambitions when an Olympics-Vuelta combo could work very well for him... He also seems to like to prepare for big (Olympics) training while staying away from competetive racing.

IMO he could go for the GC (Podium) again at the Vuelta and who else does Bora have for that race anyways.

Really burning to get some news on his plans.

He hasnt posted any rides on strava either, normally he is very active there. My best bet is that he is still recovering and taking some time off. The Tour seems unlikely that way, which at least I hope to be true. Maybe last year has been a lesson as he rode the Tour injured.
And why would he ride a Tour with low ambitions when an Olympics-Vuelta combo could work very well for him... He also seems to like to prepare for big (Olympics) training while staying away from competetive racing.

IMO he could go for the GC (Podium) again at the Vuelta and who else does Bora have for that race anyways.

Really burning to get some news on his plans.

What I know they want Schachmann give a shot at GC and Großschartner after last years success.

TRENDING THREADS