• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Enric Mas Rising Star

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Robert5091 said:
*telephone rings*
"hello?"
"Hello Enric, SDB here again. That bag of cash just got a bit bigger. Do you like Monaco?"
:D
*telephone rings*
"hello?"
"Ola, Enric, this is Alberto. We need to talk about things that are not good in life. See, there are 2 things in life that are not good. The first is 2nd places, the 2nd is riding for Team Sky. If you sign for Team Sky, I will write you out of my will and you will never enherit the CN hypetrain"

2nd place is excellent if it's the result of going all guns blazing for a small chance of winning ;).

I was thinking how little sense it made to have Serry completely empty himself by bridging to the break on his own, yesterday, when Mas did a great ITT the day before, meaning he from there on had a very clear shot at the podium AND when today is a sprint stage. Kind of a huge waste of energy.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Dropped the ball today. Podium suddenly seems more difficult. I guess there's a solid chance he can pass Valverde tomorrow, but I just don't understand why he was so passive.
Why oh why didn't he attack when Quintana dropped back? The gap was probably less than 10 seconds big at that point. He just threw away his gc position and a great chance to win

Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Dropped the ball today. Podium suddenly seems more difficult. I guess there's a solid chance he can pass Valverde tomorrow, but I just don't understand why he was so passive.
Why oh why didn't he attack when Quintana dropped back? The gap was probably less than 10 seconds big at that point. He just threw away his gc position and a great chance to win
Yep. He can still finish on the podium but the win is gone. Maybe it was a rookie mistake.

Re:

Vroome.exe said:
Just casually throws away his podium. I don't understand these tactics.
Think he just assumed Valverde was stronger than he actually was and wanted to force him to do most of the work. Its a recurrent problem in the last two decades of Spanish cyclists - too much playing games and trying to out-psych others, and not enough laying it all on the line and seizing the opportunity when it arises.

I thought Mas might escape this by going the Quickstep route, but apparently not.

I agree with most comments. For a rider in his 2nd gt and his first as a gc rider making mistakes like that is not the end of the world. It's just that I was hoping for a little more aggression. And to be honest if Mas had gone with Yates, in that moment I would have thought that's more likely to cost him the podium that the opposite.

Don't think he made a mistake. Today wasn't D-day, tomorrow is. It makes sense to be a bit cautious in his position and not throw everything on the table. The win is gone. Unless he had a super day, which I doubt was the case, then he should have tried to bridge to Yates/Pinot/Kruijswijk. Now he was just defending his podium against López.

Interestingly, Mas and López were solely looking at each other and didn't seem to bother much about Kruijswijk as possible 'third dog' for the podium. Maybe with Oiz in mind where Kruijswijk lost a lot. We'll see how that works out tomorrow.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
Mas is only 23. Some are a little harsh on him after today. Yes lets see how he goes tomorrow, a strong ride would confirm he has the needed recovery to be a GT factor in years to come.

Indeed, he is a youngster and maybe just didn't have the legs he needed when he needed them. But 'the experts' will still dump on him :(.

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Super impressive but it's kinda crazy to think Lopez is less than a year older. It still feels to me like Mas was a total youngster and Lopez experienced veteran rider somehow