• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Error: 502 Bad Gateway

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Nirvana said:
Lately I'm finding almost impossible to stay on the forum but is not anymore the 502 error.
After only a dozen of pageviews I always get a browser message that says that is impossible to connect to the site and I have to wait a couple of hours to be able to connect again.
At least with the 502 error if you try to refresh a lot of times then you can read the pages whereas with that is impossible to read all the thread and post something.

Yeah, I think that has been the case for everyone reporting recently. This became an issue as soon as (as a result of?) the 502 issue being sorted, but the same thread has remained for reporting and hope of finding news of a resolution.

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
BTW would it not make sense to have a separate way of signalling this particular error
- during rather than after the event.
Perhaps a twitter hash tag #forum.cyclingnews.com or similar
(just saying)
It’s an intermittent error that doesn’t affect all users. We’ve had times when some mods can log in, some can’t, some can use mod tools, some can’t and so on. As such any error announcement would likely just confuse the issue as some could log in and some couldn’t.

In terms of the official Twitter feed, I don’t think anyone posting to it is involved in the IT development.

We’ve been told that someone should be working in this, we’ll keep bringing it up if things don’t improve.

When I get locked out of the forum (with the non-connection issue), it seems to be for exactly 1 hour. When it was the Bad Gateway issue it would eventually display after a few refreshes. I haven't had the Bad Gateway issue for a few weeks but the connection issue is happening most days

And everyone who's into IT knows that these kind of "hard" errors really stand out in the error logs. So it's not about diagnosing the problem, it's about actually fixing it. It's been months now so I'm not sure what the new owners are thinking about, I guess there's no money to be made in forums nowadays.

Re:

tobydawq said:
I don't think it's related to the gateway problem but when I tried to post from my phone earlier today, it said that the phone's IP address for some reason had been blacklisted. Could that be whitelisted, please?
Do you have a fixed IP? If you have a dynamic IP address it's possibly you were randomly assigned an IP that was previously blacklisted and it's unlikely it will happen again.

The forum booted me for a couple of hours for daring to try and sort that for you tobydawq.

It's possible that you were assigned a dynamic IP by your network that is blacklisted and it will resolve itself when this refreshes. We'd need to know the exact IP that your device was using to try and chase it down (if the forum lets us).

Re:

King Boonen said:
The forum booted me for a couple of hours for daring to try and sort that for you tobydawq.

It's possible that you were assigned a dynamic IP by your network that is blacklisted and it will resolve itself when this refreshes. We'd need to know the exact IP that your device was using to try and chase it down (if the forum lets us).
The new Spamhaus filter being used on the fourm is very, very draconian. I've had to get two IP addresses delisted by Spamhaus - they were black-listed in error - since it came in.

It's a particular pain in the butt if you're out and about and using a public wi-fi (eg a café). It'd be good if there was a way to flag up whether the IP addy is blocked before wasting time writing something and pressing post.

Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
King Boonen said:

The new Spamhaus filter being used on the fourm is very, very draconian. I've had to get two IP addresses delisted by Spamhaus - they were black-listed in error - since it came in.

It's a particular pain in the butt if you're out and about and using a public wi-fi (eg a café). It'd be good if there was a way to flag up whether the IP addy is blocked before wasting time writing something and pressing post.

These are the kins of things that would be useful for any development team to look at. I'm afraid I don't know if that's ever going to happen.