• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

European Championships 2023: Road Races (September 22-24)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some tactics were difficult to understand here. The Dutch chaing their own rider, Bredewold, at the end and Reusser not following Norsgaard when she attcked just because Vollering was in her wheel.
Not difficult to understand at all. The Dutch weren't chasing Bredewold, they were chasing Norsgaard. It was too big a risk that she would catch Bredewold (it definitely looked like that for a while) and then they'd be left with nothing.

As for Reusser: she wanted Vollering to chase Norsgaard, and then to attack out of her wheel. That's what she had been doing for the past 10 k.

Great race, I don't know what people are complaining about. It's a course that allows for tactical racing and for many different scenarios to unfold.

The parcours is just super underwhelming.
Yeah, it just doesn't work when you have a peloton where the difference in level between riders is so relatively small. Useful for a NC, where you will shed big portions of riders regardless of the course and the peloton is much smaller as well. Here, with 150 riders all worthy of being pro, you can hardly drop anyone.

Hard to see beyond De Lie for me.

Reactions: Sandisfan
As for Reusser: she wanted Vollering to chase Norsgaard, and then to attack out of her wheel. That's what she had been doing for the past 10 k.
When I said it was a brave move from Reusser... that wasn't a compliment Unless the plan was for her to do the lead out for Chabbey, It was the wrong move. If shes made the calculation shes not going to beat Vollering or Norsgaard, then she needs to attack and give herself a chance. She has zero chance from the bunch. There is logic to what you're saying, but when you do that in the final 2-3Km, you're throwing your race away. It's the time to go not dilly dally.

When I said it was a brave move from Reusser... that wasn't a compliment Unless the plan was for her to do the lead out for Chabbey, It was the wrong move. If shes made the calculation shes not going to beat Vollering or Norsgaard, then she needs to attack and give herself a chance. She has zero chance from the bunch. There is logic to what you're saying, but when you do that in the final 2-3Km, you're throwing your race away. It's the time to go not dilly dally.
I thought Reusser was pretty smart. Vollering reacted to everything, and she actually couldn't let Norsgaard go. So Reusser gambled on Vollering closing the gap. But of course Vollering knew that as well, and she didn't. Which then created a less than ideal situation for the Dutch.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The wc route in Glasgow wittled the Duth down to just their 1 or 2 strongest riders, along with the rest of the strongest riders in the race. The ec was not hard enough to get rid of the second best Dutch riders - or the world’s best sprinter - so they had the numbers they did not in Glasgow. It could pretty much only end one way, though there is of course always the chance of a Dutch olympic size brain fart..

Last edited: