• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

European Road Championships 2022, Munich, August 14-21

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Marty doesn't seem to have noticed Agnieszka Skalniak's season, she would be the obvious finisher for Poland on form you'd say. Kind of funny seeing Žigart rolling around at the back, this race really couldn't be less suited to her and her usual company in Homage To Moncoutié style, Pauliena Rooijakkers, is obviously not here thanks to the Dutch having approximately 4750 riders who are international calibre, of whom a lot are better suited to pan flat racing in a nervous péloton than Pauliena.

Marty doesn't seem to have noticed Agnieszka Skalniak's season, she would be the obvious finisher for Poland on form you'd say. Kind of funny seeing Žigart rolling around at the back, this race really couldn't be less suited to her and her usual company in Homage To Moncoutié style, Pauliena Rooijakkers, is obviously not here thanks to the Dutch having approximately 4750 riders who are international calibre, of whom a lot are better suited to pan flat racing in a nervous péloton than Pauliena.

Žigart did her best to attempt a Kiesenhofer like coup, when she was up the road with Shapira earlier.

The Germans and especially Lippert tried to make the race interesting, but when 16 Dutch and Italian riders want a sprint, it's simply impossible to make the difference.

Bavaria has always been absolutely dreadful at using the terrain at their disposal, but it's not like there's much in the middle of Munich itself that they could have used. They might not have been able to find a nice punchy finish to suit Liane, but it's just strange they wouldn't try to find a more rolling circuit at least to try to make it suit Brennauer. Though I guess with the men's race they probably felt they had better chances of winning that race with a bunch sprint via Ackermann, Degenkolb or similar at the time they planned the route, and that obviously didn't work out for them.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Bavaria has always been absolutely dreadful at using the terrain at their disposal, but it's not like there's much in the middle of Munich itself that they could have used. They might not have been able to find a nice punchy finish to suit Liane, but it's just strange they wouldn't try to find a more rolling circuit at least to try to make it suit Brennauer. Though I guess with the men's race they probably felt they had better chances of winning that race with a bunch sprint via Ackermann, Degenkolb or similar at the time they planned the route, and that obviously didn't work out for them.

Honestly I doubt they had anything like that in mind. I think they just looked for the route they could use most easily/ close and then in the city to show off absolutely everything they have. The cycling race itself and how it could play out seemed of no importance at all for the route planning.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Žigart did her best to attempt a Kiesenhofer like coup, when she was up the road with Shapira earlier.

The Germans and especially Lippert tried to make the race interesting, but when 16 Dutch and Italian riders want a sprint, it's simply impossible to make the difference.
I just assumed, especially as Shapira's a decent climber too, that they just looked at a topographical map of Bavaria and assumed there would be some terrain that would help them :laughing:

TRENDING THREADS