Eurosport commentary

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
Robert5091 said:
"Collective doldrums"? He's my "Mute-button-tester" :)
Hey, hey! Shush now.
I watched portions of the last couple stages on a youtube feed that for some unknown reason was without commentary.
All you could hear was the hum of the motorbikes and the occasional sounds from those in the peloton. It was actually kind of interesting for a few minutes, but it didn't take long for me to long for my man Carlton Kirby.
I dearly wished I could hear his commentary in the closing km's when the Rally rider came so close to winning solo.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of stool.
Your wish is my command!

https://youtu.be/Iz28sLaLAtc?t=33m32s
 
Re: Re:

argyllflyer said:
the delgados said:
Robert5091 said:
"Collective doldrums"? He's my "Mute-button-tester" :)
Hey, hey! Shush now.
I watched portions of the last couple stages on a youtube feed that for some unknown reason was without commentary.
All you could hear was the hum of the motorbikes and the occasional sounds from those in the peloton. It was actually kind of interesting for a few minutes, but it didn't take long for me to long for my man Carlton Kirby.
I dearly wished I could hear his commentary in the closing km's when the Rally rider came so close to winning solo.
Anyone who says otherwise is full of stool.
Your wish is my command!

https://youtu.be/Iz28sLaLAtc?t=33m32s
"Cars badly parked, fans taking photos instead of watching the action."
"Oh! He's still not home. He's finally found a home--in our hearts."

Carlton Kirby reminds of the late great Mark E Smith of The Fall. He's a genius.
Thanks for posting this clip. It is a fantastic reminder of the brilliance of Carlton Kirby.
 
Re:

armchairclimber said:
He called the Modolo sprint brilliantly today :)
Sigh. Another armchair critic trying to be funny.
To be fair, the camera focused on Modolo who raised his arms in the universal sign of a bike rider winning a race.
No one--not even the camera--saw the guy in a dark uniform darting up the side to take the win.
In fact, it took quite some time to determine who won the race. My man Carlton Kirby reserved judgement after watching the replay. He was not the only one who thought the EF Drapac Powered by Cannondale guy (we're venturing into Nascar territory here) won the race. But yeah, let's take another crack at my man Carlton Kirby!
Let's ignore the brilliance that shone in the commentary preceding the finale.
P.S. It has been mentioned that the Kirbster has been calling speed skating at the Olympics. This guy is a friggin legend.
I hope he has a union and is getting overtime pay.
 
Yeah quite dreadful camera angle that as noted above was so zoomed in it failed to capture the width of the road - it continues to amaze me how often this is the case. The 'riders crossing the finishing line' is one of the most important shots of the race! I'd like to see a race experimant with live overhead and front on (from the front, not the side at an angle) shots side by side. There was a race last season, I think Tour de Yorkshire, where there were no camera bikes working and they had to do the last 10km or so from a helicopter shot. It was brilliant.
 
At the end of Andalusia they showed a split screen with Algarve in one half and they said "after the break stage two of Algarve" but after the break there was an hour of FIFA Football magazine and then started Basket.
This year is really terrible Eurosport regarding cycling coverage. And there are more breaks than ever during the coverage, not only for commercial but also for multiple top 3, top 5, top 10 of everything and olympic related clip.
 
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
armchairclimber said:
He called the Modolo sprint brilliantly today :)
Sigh. Another armchair critic trying to be funny.
To be fair, the camera focused on Modolo who raised his arms in the universal sign of a bike rider winning a race.
No one--not even the camera--saw the guy in a dark uniform darting up the side to take the win.
In fact, it took quite some time to determine who won the race. My man Carlton Kirby reserved judgement after watching the replay. He was not the only one who thought the EF Drapac Powered by Cannondale guy (we're venturing into Nascar territory here) won the race. But yeah, let's take another crack at my man Carlton Kirby!
Let's ignore the brilliance that shone in the commentary preceding the finale.
P.S. It has been mentioned that the Kirbster has been calling speed skating at the Olympics. This guy is a friggin legend.
I hope he has a union and is getting overtime pay.
I was referring more to the fact that, as the sprint started, he suggested that Modolo was in a different league to his opponents and that the result was more or less a foregone conclusion.

He is funny though.
 
We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.
 
Re:

tobydawq said:
We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.

He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Netserk said:
When he wants commentators to be more 'upbeat' and to 'know what they are talking about' so that the sport can 'move forward', it could also allude to another sub-forum on here ;)
I hadn't even thought of that but of course you're right.
I'm sure you are right but it's not only that. Some of the commentary is abysmal especially when there is action happening and someone is relating a personal anecdote which has nothing to do with the race.
 
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
tobydawq said:
We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.

He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy
So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ass.
 
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
HelloDolly said:
tobydawq said:
We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.


He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy
So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.
To back HD up, I am sure I have heard RP be derogatory about CK too, can't recall the exacts wheres and whens though. It may have been on Twitter with a bit of footage accompanying, and if I am right in remembering that, it was a while ago. Part of me thinks when he was injured last season but something else is telling me it was a few seasons back. Anyway I can't recall but that was my memory of it. At the end of the day there are very few English-speaking commentators working year round on the sport that have their work broadcast in Europe where Porte is during the season.
 
Re:

Netserk said:
When he wants commentators to be more 'upbeat' and to 'know what they are talking about' so that the sport can 'move forward', it could also allude to another sub-forum on here ;)
I finally got around to watching The Program last night - how embarrassing hearing Phil L blow smoke up US Postals' collective backside on the used archive footage with his fawning 'winning and racing clean' speil.
 
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
HelloDolly said:
tobydawq said:
We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.




He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy
So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.

Just listening to Kirby at Ruta de Sol now
He has said how great it is to have Chris Frome back ( no idea where he has been :rolleyes: ) and how the others rides welcomed him back and how the press were making his life difficult
In fact he hardly mentioned any other riders leading in the race ...it was all Froome with him and how great he is s ...and people here talk about Phil Ligget

Besides the fact that it is a lie that other riders welcomed Froome back Kirby has decided that the adverse findings on the Salbutamol test is just an inconvenience for Froome and didnt even mention the details. It was all just poor Froome and how the press is out to get him...but hey Froome gives everything (more like takes everything ) and he is wondeful to have here in Andulucia racing !!!

KIrby will have no bad word said about Froome ....but lets see if that was a Russian or Spanish rider....he would make every allusion about their performance from the beginning of time...certainly never held back on Bala or Bertie...but Frooem nothing

The man is a disgrace to cycling and should be taken off the box. He is totally biased and an idiot
 
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
the delgados said:
HelloDolly said:
tobydawq said:
We're not the only ones who sometimes are unhappy about the commentators:

"It's kind of strange to watch TV and listen to the commentary... and how bad it can be sometimes. If you watch MotoGP it's brilliant because they really know their sport and they're so upbeat. Then you turn onto cycling. I think for the sport to move forward, you need commentators that know what they're talking about."

- Richie Porte in ProCycling.

It doesn't say who he is talking about, though.




He is talking about Kirby ...and his wife doesnt like Kirby either

A few other pros like Adam Blythe and Luke Rowe have had issues with Kirbys commentary for races they were not in

The man does not know the sport and is a SKY /Chris Froome fanboy
So you know for sure Little Ritchie Porte--aka LRP-- is talking about Kirby. You also know his wife does not like him and you claim to know the Kirbster knows nothing about the sport.
Let's break this statement down a little, shall we?
I have no clue who you are, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you know for a fact LRP is referring to my man Carlton Kirby.
You say Carlton Kirby knows nothing about the sport while claiming LRP's wife hates him, too. I don't know LRP's wife. Do you think she knows more about cycling than Carlton Kirby?
While we're here, please tell me what he does not know about the sport. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What once started as a joke to defend my man Carlton Kirby has now become a little bit more serious. I have been paying a lot of attention to what he says, and I do not agree that he has no clue what he's talking about. That notion is bullocks.
Also, please elaborate on the notion that Kirby is a fanboy for Sky/Froome. To me, the notion is absolutely ridiculous.
I guess this is a long-winded way of asking why you think Kirby is a skybot who knows nothing about cycling.
Please provide examples.
Otherwise, you're talking out of your ***.

Just listening to Kirby at Ruta de Sol now
He has said how great it is to have Chris Frome back ( no idea where he has been :rolleyes: ) and how the others rides welcomed him back and how the press were making his life difficult
In fact he hardly mentioned any other riders leading in the race ...it was all Froome with him and how great he is s ...and people here talk about Phil Ligget

Besides the fact that it is a lie that other riders welcomed Froome back Kirby has decided that the adverse findings on the Salbutamol test is just an inconvenience for Froome and didnt even mention the details. It was all just poor Froome and how the press is out to get him...but hey Froome gives everything (more like takes everything ) and he is wondeful to have here in Andulucia racing !!!

KIrby will have no bad word said about Froome ....but lets see if that was a Russian or Spanish rider....he would make every allusion about their performance from the beginning of time...certainly never held back on Bala or Bertie...but Frooem nothing

The man is a disgrace to cycling and should be taken off the box. He is totally biased and an idiot
You are making things up - Kirby clearly stated that Froome has his issues during the telecast - He made no mention of the press being out to get Froome - There is no need for Kirby or Stephens to go into great details about the Froome issue - His job is to call the race while Stephen's provide special comments.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Professional Road Racing 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY