• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 248 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I tuned in to the TDS late. I'm assuming from the comments above that Jip van den Bos is on the telecast. I always find it a little odd when I hear a new voice--and she is inexperienced, of course, but she is insightful and speaks of things within the race that is really helpful. I'm impressed so far.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
worst ES commentary nightmare come true..
stumbling bumbling Hannah bloody Walker, and creepy whispering Pippa York. Together. For a whole week.
come back Kirby & litt-tull Blythe, all is forgiven (for now).
watching Tour of Slovenia on full mute.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
The king of cringe is Rob Hatch.
Not really. I think it was quite an appropriate introduction to the broadcast.

I was thinking about it yesterday and realised that through his various roles at Eurosport, RCS, Flanders Classics, he must have been commentating or reporting on events which involved the passings of riders such as Lambrecht, Goolaerts, Weylandt, Demoitie and also the Jakobsen's crash. With this I think it's not surprising he's being quite reflective as everyone deals with these kind of things differently.

ps.. is van den Bos the one doing Switz, with Hatchling?
i was guessing incorrectly then, at van der Breggen.
i do have weakness for dutch women shpeaking english.
itsh beaudiful.
The old Shteve McClaren mistake of thinking a Dutch accent involves the "sh"-sound. It doesn't. That's German.

The king of cringe is Rob Hatch.
As a Dutch person I love his commentary, mainly because he's literally the only British commentator I know of who can pronounce Dutch names more or less correctly :)

Not really. I think it was quite an appropriate introduction to the broadcast.

I was thinking about it yesterday and realised that through his various roles at Eurosport, RCS, Flanders Classics, he must have been commentating or reporting on events which involved the passings of riders such as Lambrecht, Goolaerts, Weylandt, Demoitie and also the Jakobsen's crash. With this I think it's not surprising he's being quite reflective as everyone deals with these kind of things differently.
Whatever floats your boat, not my cup of tea, can't stand his hysterical commentary. GCN/eurosport would be much better if they just used ex-pros as commentators.

how do you spell the dutch version of 'sh' sound that is made then? :)
whatever, it will shtill shound shexy... eshpecially when expresshed by AvV
That sound hardly occurs in Dutch. Somehow English people think it does.

Jose Been is a female version of a Carlton Kirby.
change my mind.
José Been is just about the opposite of Carlton Kirby. She takes herself very seriously, a little too much if you ask me. Certainly on social media she's the epitome of 'how can I make this about me'. There isn't a social issue grave enough or she has dealt with it.

it may not occur often in dutch language... but it does when dutch ppl *speak english*
who am i supposed to believe.. you, or my lying ears?
Well there you go. There's actually an explanation for it.

The Dutch pronunciation of "s" and "z" as "sh" and "j" is actually a feature of a specific dialect of Dutch called "Hollandic". This dialect is spoken in the western part of the Netherlands, including Amsterdam and Rotterdam. In Hollandic Dutch, the "s" and "z" sounds are pronounced with the tongue closer to the roof of the mouth than in other dialects of Dutch, which gives them a slightly different sound. This can make them sound like "sh" and "j" to non-native speakers. There isn't necessarily a rule for this pronunciation, but it is a common feature of Hollandic Dutch. It's worth noting that other dialects of Dutch may pronounce "s" and "z" differently.

Reactions: tao bleeding heart