• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 272 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't know of where she was brought up but it almost seems like she was brought up in an area like wales and was brought up speaking Welsh with a thick original accent and she has trouble with regular standard English and when she starts her segments it like she has trouble to spit out the words in English at first which smooths out with a few other bouts as she spits out the English words later in her segments.

Dunno just sounds like that to me.

Hannah? No she's from the Greater Manchester region, and I think either shes been told by the producers to tone down her northerness, or at least she thinks she has to, so you get this kind of what we would call received pronounciation English, which is speaking with a hot potato in your mouth, classical BBC voice attempt, which yeah doesnt really work.

which is a shame as I dont have any problem with her normal accent and shes genuinely a really nice person to talk to, knows alot about cycling, and just seems to get lumbered with these bit part roles on Eurosport.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xHrP5HCYg

Hannah? No she's from the Greater Manchester region, and I think either shes been told by the producers to tone down her northerness, or at least she thinks she has to, so you get this kind of what we would call received pronounciation English, which is speaking with a hot potato in your mouth, classical BBC voice attempt, which yeah doesnt really work.

which is a shame as I dont have any problem with her normal accent and shes genuinely a really nice person to talk to, knows alot about cycling, and just seems to get lumbered with these bit part roles on Eurosport.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xHrP5HCYg
its not her accent thats grating.
its her.

delivery.

I believe the Discovery+ / Eurosport team do an excellent job! Rob Hatch is, in my opinion, the best cycling commentator at this time in the media, along with Dan Lloyd, Adam Blyth and Robbie McEwen,
Luke Rowe is also doing well, and it's important to remember that he is still a professional bike rider, not a professional live broadcaster.
I'm not a massive fan of either Sean Kelly or Carlton Kirby, but that's just my personal taste in style; they do an excellent job.
The female commentators are all excellent. Danni Rowe offers great insight into the women's peloton, as do Danni Christmas and Hannah Walker. I've grown to like Orla, she does a good job interacting with the rest of her team.
I've been reading the comments here and I think there is a clear misunderstanding of what a commentator's job entails. Firstly, they have no script to work from, they are under huge pressure as they work with the feed-to-event broadcaster sends out. They are given almost no time to prepare what they say, so any failings are going to show. In my sporting past, commentating was the one job I would not do, even in an emergency but I did hire commentators. There are too many so-called experts, who know almost nothing about the role yet are quick to point out what they think is wrong. I challenge anyone to do just a five-minute commentary on a live event, tape yourself, play it back and see how YOU did! You will soon see it is NOT easy especially when you have to fill in when there is nothing to report on! then consider that these guys often do one or two hours at a time.

I believe the Discovery+ / Eurosport team do an excellent job! Rob Hatch is, in my opinion, the best cycling commentator at this time in the media, along with Dan Lloyd, Adam Blyth and Robbie McEwen,
Luke Rowe is also doing well, and it's important to remember that he is still a professional bike rider, not a professional live broadcaster.
I'm not a massive fan of either Sean Kelly or Carlton Kirby, but that's just my personal taste in style; they do an excellent job.
The female commentators are all excellent. Danni Rowe offers great insight into the women's peloton, as do Danni Christmas and Hannah Walker. I've grown to like Orla, she does a good job interacting with the rest of her team.
I've been reading the comments here and I think there is a clear misunderstanding of what a commentator's job entails. Firstly, they have no script to work from, they are under huge pressure as they work with the feed-to-event broadcaster sends out. They are given almost no time to prepare what they say, so any failings are going to show. In my sporting past, commentating was the one job I would not do, even in an emergency but I did hire commentators. There are too many so-called experts, who know almost nothing about the role yet are quick to point out what they think is wrong. I challenge anyone to do just a five-minute commentary on a live event, tape yourself, play it back and see how YOU did! You will soon see it is NOT easy especially when you have to fill in when there is nothing to report on! then consider that these guys often do one or two hours at a time.
It is fair for us to compare cycling commentators to those in other sports. The studio bits are a matter of what styles people like, so I don’t have any criticisms. For the in-race announcer, you don’t have to be an experienced speaker to know when someone is making inane comments, or are being extremely redundant, or are not adequately prepared as a professional should be.

73c20bab-9212-424c-b9d6-dbd879ed5ccb_text.gif

For the multi-lingual folks on here, are there some particularly good announcers/commentators on non-English broadcasts? Just curious.
I like Dutch Eurosport. Very relaxed atmosphere, less declamatory and theatrical than the Germans or English. I generally prefer the Dutch style of commentating, even in 2006 during the soccer World Cup I watched NOS rather than German TV when possible.

For the multi-lingual folks on here, are there some particularly good announcers/commentators on non-English broadcasts? Just curious.
We only ever hear good stuff about most Danish commentators but I don‘t speak Danish so I don‘t know. The Germans are generally bad, but Aldag is actually good. He is only rarely there, though because he‘s a DS at Bora.

I believe the Discovery+ / Eurosport team do an excellent job!

opinions differ on that, but I would say Ive never claimed to be able to do their job, Im simply old enough to remember a time when sports commentators were alot better at it.

As they were nearly always fans of the sport they covered they had a fans passion for it and obsessive attention to details, but they were also powerful communicators or broadcasters, they knew how to summarise the pictures into words, when to speak, when not to speak and they could share their knowledge/experience effortlessly.

the modern sports commentator, as its not just cycling this impacts, seemingly just blathers,about stuff, about anything to fill time, they dont obsess about the details or anything in the sport, often it feels simply giving their top picks as easily as someone scanning the racing post for an each way bet at the 3:15 at Chester, and theres this incessent bantering and laughing at ones own jokes it just makes me want to reach for the mute button.

and I always go back to the one time during the Tour de Yorkshire, when Lizzie D showed how it should be done, she was pregnant so not racing that time, she was only supposed to do like a 15mins meet & greet style interview, she stayed nearly the whole stage and became the expert analysis for ITV and she was explaining every stage of every attack or counter attack, why some riders would be allowed in a break, why others wouldnt, what she thought her teammates might try next, and could identify riders from a helicopter shot simply by their style of riding, and it was just fascinating & informative to listen to her explain race tactics and also knowledge of the course and roads, she's obviously trained on, but had remembered in detail, and could communicate them effortlessly.

compared to the kind of expert analysis we get on Eurosport where some of them cant even work out time gaps on the road properly, cant identify riders alot of the time, usually have a pet topic they endlessly refer to, or a google maps view of the run in they repeat.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Most Belgian broadcasters tend to be allright. On the VRT you have Karl Vannieuwekerke (journalist) , José De Cauwer(ex-rider), Sven Nys (ex-rider) or Renaat Schotte (journalist) for the mens. Ine Beyen mostly does the women's alongside sports journalist Ruben Van Gucht.
VTM has Michel Wuyts (journalist) alongside Jan Bakelants.
Eurosport mainly has Jeroen Vanbellegehm who is tolerable alongside some Dutch person because otherwise the Flemish would turn in to Eurosport France.
Jolien D'hoore, Tom Boonen, Bert De Backer or Stijn Steels also turn up frequently on one of the broadcasters mentioned above. Of those Steels is probably the least talented and Boonen has (and it pains me to say) a very thick accent. Otherwise they're pretty decent all of them.
The latest addition has been Sep Vanmarcke, and he's pretty good, his huge racing knowledge really shows and even tho he has a strong accent which you can see in all his interviews he can effordlessly switch to "Tussentaal" which is the common variant of Dutch spoken on Belgian TV.

Edit: José De Cauwer is pretty much a national treasure at this point. I image riots will break loose if he's forced to retire.