• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Evans wins worlds...what was he on?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
"Not sold" as in not available in Australia or "not sold" as in no one admits that they drink it?

It's virtually never on tap in pubs and bars in Australia.

You can get bottles of it it, sometimes, in liquor stores (or, in the local vernacular, "bottle shops") but it's a very small seller here.

It was promoted heavily to Australian drinkers in the early to mid 1980s, but what probably killed it was the marketing in foreign countries depicting Australians as outback-dwelling morons. Morons, I'll leave others to judge, but 80% of the Australian population live in urban centres on the coast, and take about as kindly to being caricatured as Crocodile Dundee as the average New Yorker or San Franciscan would take to being confused with somebody from the Deep South.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
"Not sold" as in not available in Australia or "not sold" as in no one admits that they drink it?

Try finding it on tap. Or in a bottleshop, either on the shelf or in the refrigerator.

rgmerk said:

You can get bottles of it it, sometimes, in liquor stores (or, in the local vernacular, "bottle shops") but it's a very small seller here.

It was promoted heavily to Australian drinkers in the early to mid 1980s, but what probably killed it was the marketing in foreign countries depicting Australians as outback-dwelling morons.

That about sums it up. Coopers is arguably the best aussie beer/lager. Tooheys New is drunk mostly in NSW. VB in Victoria and XXXX if you're a Queenslander. They all suck. Only to be drunk if there is nothing else or you want to throw up. Carlton make some good beers, Pure Blonde and Bluetongue are all big hits that taste good. Tooheys Pils and Extra Dry are very good. Most of the big sellers are the ones supporting the Rugby League, AFL or Rugby Union matches...advertising revenue determines what is selected as the big cash cow. Check out any of the names I mentioned (Tooheys and Carlton Draught) on YouTube for some of their adds. Very clever and most are classics.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Tooheys Pils and Extra Dry are very good. Most of the big sellers are the ones supporting the Rugby League, AFL or Rugby Union matches...advertising revenue determines what is selected as the big cash cow. Check out any of the names I mentioned (Tooheys and Carlton Draught) on YouTube for some of their adds. Very clever and most are classics.

did not you say you were an auditor GH or in finance? I think you meant expenditure son.:p

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
There is a beer discussion in the cafe section. The clinic is for those who like to down pints of their own blood. But my 2 cents, I always thought that Crown Larger was just VB put into a diff bottle... filthy sh!t.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
I sure hope nobody else thinks he was clean...lol, he probably took a couple of 500cc refills of packed red cells for that one.

Cheers Bigboat, could you do me a favour? Could you please post the exact same post in every thread we got going before the end of the week? No seriously?
Oh yeah one other question, whats it like being one of the many million that make up the excess jip that ran down Satans leg???????

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Back when Cadel rode for the Cannondale mountainbike team, he was one of my favorites, and when he made the transition to the rode, I still cheered him on. Gradually though I came to ridicule him and worse: I felt sorry for him! I called him a wheelsucker, a prima donna, etc. Secretly, I still wanted Cadel to win, but I no longer respected him as a rider. This year, Cadel began to show some *****. Then came the Tour...on NO! Still, Cadel had form for the Vuelta; only he had bad luck by the bucketful.
Yesterday, Cadel won more than a race, more than a world champion's rainbow jersey: Yesterday, Cadel won the respect and admiration of many of people like me, the unfaithful, the mockers. Of course, I'm a nobody, just an American biker who loves to watch bike racing; but I know that how I think represents thousands of people, thousands who have been forced to eat their words and change their minds. Good job, Cadel, darm good job!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Kerbdog said:
Cheers Bigboat, could you do me a favour? Could you please post the exact same post in every thread we got going before the end of the week? No seriously?
Oh yeah one other question, whats it like being one of the many million that make up the excess jip that ran down Satans leg???????

I think Big Boat has taken a few too many blood refills:rolleyes:. Trolls like BigbOat should be forbidden from forums as they are pessimists. If you don't have any thing nice or constructive to say, DON"T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL! Why do you even follow the sport if you think all the racers are narcissists and cheats? Seems hipocritical to me. I'm not just making this rant because CE won. I'm just sick of doping threads being made after somebody has won.

auscyclefan94 said:
I think Big Boat has taken a few too many blood refills:rolleyes:. Trolls like BigbOat should be forbidden from forums as they are pessimists. If you don't have any thing nice or constructive to say, DON"T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL! Why do you even follow the sport if you think all the racers are narcissists and cheats? Seems hipocritical to me. I'm not just making this rant because CE won. I'm just sick of doping threads being made after somebody has won.

The people who should really be banned are those who get upset that other people are discussing subjects they do not approve of. Who made you king? Who are you to tell anyone whether they should follow cycling? If you are sick of doping threads then you should not read the doping forum. Imbecile!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Yes you are making that rant because BigBoat posted an unsavoury quote about Cadel Evans. Just as you always are when BigBoat mentions Cadel, or anyone else for that matter. You're entitled to your rant and opinion, but an frequent reader of your posts learnt early on, auscyclefan94 you may as well be Cadel's mystery stalker, given you're unapologetic support for the guy. Just don't expect us to believe your reasoning for your rant, you're a fanboy, no shame there, I just don't buy your reasoning. BB provides much needed balance. Sometimes people don't like what he says...too bad, what he types is needed to augment the biased unquestioning support that happens.

On the thread topic...hmmmnnn.

What is Evans on? Something that I haven't seen very often from him. It might be psychological. Good form and the Vuelta mishap, transfer to a determined rider on a course in his backyard. That's one advantage. However I have never seen him attack soo successfully before. The other riders seemed to be marking each other too eagerly, Valverde and Sanchez watching Cunego, Cancellara and Gilbert and leaving the chase till it was too late. I think the win was more tactical and a final strength attack, than some doping implementation nobody else had or the work of the illuminati I read in the other forum. Could be the one day race versus a 3 week tour and more energy to expend on a solitary effort rather than spreading it across a full 3 weeks.

What peeves me is media agencies such as SBS in Australia annointing Cadel as the face of 'clean cycling'. They have no basis to make such claims or authority to do so. Aussie biased antics running unchecked. Kind of like Matt Keenan's last lap commentary...commentators are supposed to be unbiased. He sounded like he'd wet his pants in excitement. Legitimacy theory in full force. Take a look at the Andrew Denton's interview on YouTube and note Cadel's body language when asked about being offered PED's...elements of Bill Clinton there.

But that aside. He rode very well and deserved the win. Makes up for a lot of the bad luck he's had at times.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Maybe Cadel just thought "**** it, there's nothing to lose by attacking". Fair play for doing such a thing, I guess you have to be in it, to win it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
When someone is successful we are instantly suspicious, we have easly forgotten that talent, hard work and a bit of good luck some days make someone a winner.;)

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
'And in a major show of support for the Australian, now sitting second overall, Belgian sprinter Tom Boonen said that Evans, of the favourites left in the race, was one of the riders he still trusted.

"I have given up my belief in most of the rest," the man on course to win the green sprinters' jersey said.

"It is possible to ride the Tour without doping. And to ride and win, too. And Cadel Evans proves in my eyes that you could win it without doping." '

Tom Boonen 2007 Tour

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22139381-23218,00.html

Evans found an invisible wheel to follow in the last lap, that's all there is too it.

A projection like something developed by the Australians, that only Evans can see. And when Evans sees a wheel, he will follow. At the finish, the projection suddenly stopped, and Evans was so confused, he didn't know if he should cheer.

A

Anonymous

rgmerk said:

It was promoted heavily to Australian drinkers in the early to mid 1980s, but what probably killed it was the marketing in foreign countries depicting Australians as outback-dwelling morons. Morons, I'll leave others to judge, but 80% of the Australian population live in urban centres on the coast, and take about as kindly to being caricatured as Crocodile Dundee as the average New Yorker or San Franciscan would take to being confused with somebody from the Deep South.

So no "shrimps on the barbie" or "now thats a knife?" I am crushed...

A

Anonymous

dr_wok said:
'And in a major show of support for the Australian, now sitting second overall, Belgian sprinter Tom Boonen said that Evans, of the favourites left in the race, was one of the riders he still trusted.

"I have given up my belief in most of the rest," the man on course to win the green sprinters' jersey said.

"It is possible to ride the Tour without doping. And to ride and win, too. And Cadel Evans proves in my eyes that you could win it without doping." '

Tom Boonen 2007 Tour

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22139381-23218,00.html

You forgot the rest of the quote:

"Hey, pass the mirror man!"

Galic Ho said:
What peeves me is media agencies such as SBS in Australia annointing Cadel as the face of 'clean cycling'. They have no basis to make such claims or authority to do so. Aussie biased antics running unchecked. Kind of like Matt Keenan's last lap commentary...commentators are supposed to be unbiased. He sounded like he'd wet his pants in excitement.

It's not terribly bad because it's an Aus broadcast only, not going to offend too many people. I've heard Keenan dozens of times this year and that was the first time he ever showed emotion and the scale of the achievement warranted it. Phil was much more balanced with Keenan there too, rather than Paul just playing the same tricks as him.

Would the public rather that or a foreign broadcast which showed 5% of the awareness to the Australians in the field as Ligget/Keenan did.

what was he on

Maybe Evan was fuelled with frustration. He must have plenty of that in his system. He jumped across just at the right time and knew that the Spanish would not chase with another Spaniard in the lead and they admitted as much after the race. Smart tactics and best on the day.So what if Matt Keenan gets excited at seeing a fellow countryman win. Probably surprised as no one was giving Evans much of a chance except Evan's himself. He has said all along that the course really suited and he probably knew the roads really well as he lives close by.

No one seems to be mentioning the rest of the Australian Team who seemed to ride a superb team race. As for Evans and doping well all I can say is the following : when he finishes a mountain stage he actually looks exhausted unlike some of the other fresh faced innocents and he also looks like he is suffering during the stage. Evan's win is a nice FU to his critics. Well done.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The people who should really be banned are those who get upset that other people are discussing subjects they do not approve of. Who made you king? Who are you to tell anyone whether they should follow cycling? If you are sick of doping threads then you should not read the doping forum. Imbecile!

It's nothing to do with CE. I'm just sick of when ever somebody wins their is a doper thread. It just gets stupid. if you read my post imbecile it said it was nothing to do with evans' win as their have benn threads about millar and boasson hagen because they are winning. Surely people can make claims on more evidence than that. Imbecile!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Yes you are making that rant because BigBoat posted an unsavoury quote about Cadel Evans. Just as you always are when BigBoat mentions Cadel, or anyone else for that matter. You're entitled to your rant and opinion, but an frequent reader of your posts learnt early on, auscyclefan94 you may as well be Cadel's mystery stalker, given you're unapologetic support for the guy. Just don't expect us to believe your reasoning for your rant, you're a fanboy, no shame there, I just don't buy your reasoning. BB provides much needed balance. Sometimes people don't like what he says...too bad, what he types is needed to augment the biased unquestioning support that happens.

Wrong again. Nothing to do with evans and nothing to do with me being a "fanboy". make claims make them with substantiated evidence. Same with booasson hagen. because he's winning he's a doper. I know that BB brings a balance but being a drug gossiper continually with his type of claims isn't what a forum is about.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It's nothing to do with CE. I'm just sick of when ever somebody wins their is a doper thread. It just gets stupid. if you read my post imbecile it said it was nothing to do with evans' win as their have benn threads about millar and boasson hagen because they are winning. Surely people can make claims on more evidence than that. Imbecile!

The funny thing is on the EBH thread I said that we cant call a rider a doper because they won, all you said was about boonen saying cadel is the only clean gc rider. The fact is you are a cadel fanboy, but it's okay it's no big deal. Everybody is a fan boy

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

+1.... the clinic is for discussing doping. Auscyclefan94, if you don't want to participate in the discussion, or you want to believe that there isn't a doping problem in cycling, then you should not read this forum. There is a doping thread for just about every rider who has ever won anything (and many who haven't). Evans won the WC, and thus he now has his own thread! ;)

Personally, I think Evans is pretty clean - especially in comparison to other top GT riders. I am also very happy that he won the WC road race. However, if he releases blood values (I really hope he does) or anything else implicates him in a doping scandal, I will be an active member of the ensuing discussion on these forums.

rgmerk said:

As a San Francisco dwelling Yank, this was actually an extremely informative post for me! LOL cycling may have it's problems but one of the coolest things about it is the cultural melting pot it brings together.

But seriously, most of you DO have pet Wallabies or Roos right? :D