• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 301 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I actually think that was a very good performance. It was a better ITT than he produced in 2020, I'd wager (i.e. he only won that Vuelta ITT with a 1 second margin & needed a final murito to gap Carapaz & Carthy). Here it was all flat & he paced himself well.

The big difference is of course Evenepoel. But it's pointless looking at the gap at the moment because the most important element is Roglič getting his climbing legs back later this week. Without that, talk of GC (whether a podium or a win) is a moot point.
All great points. I'm not so optimistic about Roglic being able to find really good climbing form in this race, but his toughness has never been greater.

With the climbs that come having such a weak team makes it extremely hard to make good attacks against Evenepoel even if he were to turn better than him later on in the race.

Probably gonna need a minor miracle anyway
It'll need an unlikely consortium of teams willing to set tempo. That said; Movistar has something to gain by moving MAS forward and there is the team classification (we should call that the Radioshack award for Mediocrity) and maybe a few guys willing to risk their current top ten placing without benefit of a breakaway. A thin Vuelta that could get weirder than more dull with a few more Covid retirements. Minor miracles and disasters may be the only drama left.

I'm pleased to see that Rog is looking strong in 2nd place. The podium looks like a real possibility for him in this Vuelta, which would be a great achievement. For next year, he could be a favorite for the Giro if he rides it, but how much stronger would Jumbo be in the TDF with a fresh Roglic to help Vingo or to be a Plan B for GC? I would think the team would want him to ride the TDF fresh. Hard to know ...

Good ride on stage 12. The team was used early up the climb. As they can't help him higher up the climb. He could respond to Mas attacking and i am sure that if Evenepoel could he would still try to take some extra time today. Now i guess some other ideas will need to be explored. On how to put Evenepoel under more difficulty. If Mas won't be interested there are a couple of youngsters that might be interested. Strong break(s) could i guess make Evenepoel chase a bit more. Full blown attack on a penultimate climb could enable him to utilize his team in a way it could yield results. And to give him a bottle and some good wishes on top. Not much more his team can really do.

Honestly, for someone who at times labored (particularly in the eyes of the U.S. commentators), he easily closed gaps and stayed on the wheel. Remco looked like he was flying at the end and Roglic looked easy behind. Whether that means he will be able to drop Remco at any point again is unclear. Remco very strong and needs to weaken clearly.
I'm not sure Christian VdV and his sidekick Bob actually see the same monitor we see. They are gushing over Remco's performance to a degree he'd be embarrassed like they're not sure if their audience knows who RE is. At least it's not a Liggett version of the same but I'm being overly critical when we're fortunate to have coverage. I can just turn the sound down to.....zero and watch.

Good ride on stage 12. The team was used early up the climb. As they can't help him higher up the climb. He could respond to Mas attacking and i am sure that if Evenepoel could he would still try to take some extra time today. Now i guess some other ideas will need to be explored. On how to put Evenepoel under more difficulty. If Mas won't be interested there are a couple of youngsters that might be interested. Strong break(s) could i guess make Evenepoel chase a bit more. Full blown attack on a penultimate climb could enable him to utilize his team in a way it could yield results. And to give him a bottle and some good wishes on top. Not much more his team can really do.
All the while we have the collective fatigue of teams weakened by Covid retirements that could be another factor. A few more ill riders could make this the asterisk GT.

Reactions: Rackham
All the while we have the collective fatigue of teams weakened by Covid retirements that could be another factor. A few more ill riders could make this the asterisk GT.

Yep. I don't envy the rider who might win this race if the leader gets Covid tested out of the Vuelta. But those are the rules so it is what it is.

In any case I'm finding this race fascinating from a Rogla fan perspective. Watching his form & looking for any sign of improvement is the fun here & we'll see what happens this weekend.

On paper it's almost mission impossible due to his complete lack of team on terrain where he really needs it. It's also amazing to see Jumbo go to this Vuelta with a squad seemingly weaker than anything they've aligned this year in any race (I think the Giro team was much stronger in the mountains with Bouwman & Leemreize). Chris Harper & Rohan Dennis are doing their best but Sam Oomen is a total no show.

What a strange year it has been for Roglič & although I'm not throwing in the towel in this Vuelta yet (& he won't be either), second might be the absolute best result possible considering everything that has happened to him this summer. That's just being realistic.

I'm pleased to see that Rog is looking strong in 2nd place. The podium looks like a real possibility for him in this Vuelta, which would be a great achievement. For next year, he could be a favorite for the Giro if he rides it, but how much stronger would Jumbo be in the TDF with a fresh Roglic to help Vingo or to be a Plan B for GC? I would think the team would want him to ride the TDF fresh. Hard to know ...

Primoz won't just settle for the 2nd. He will do a long-range attack at some point risking losing a podium place. No risk no glory.

Tadej Pogačar wrote an article in Slovene about his TdF experience. He marked stage 11 and Roglič/Vinge attacks as the main reason he lost the race at the end. He felt the legs were not right any more after that stage. I'm worried JV will want to keep Roglič around in 2023 TdF for this exact reason to super dom for Vinge and be a distant B option. So they won't let him to fully prepare or race for any other GT (specially Giro).

Tadej Pogačar wrote an article in Slovene about his TdF experience. He marked stage 11 and Roglič/Vinge attacks as the main reason he lost the race at the end. He felt the legs were not right any more after that stage. I'm worried JV will want to keep Roglič around in 2023 TdF for this exact reason to super dom for Vinge and be a distant B option. So they won't let him to fully prepare or race for any other GT (specially Giro).
I don't think that's how things work in TJV. If they do, Roglic won't be in yellow and black next season.

@Rackham

Indeed. A battle in between a bit undercooked Rogla against a bit overcooked Evenpoel. That is from starting point of view. Lets see where does that take us.

This might be subjective but I don't think the route helps at all.

It's a badly designed Vuelta for overthrowing a GC deficit with tactical manoeuvres & even grabbing bonus seconds (like that finish today which was nowhere near punchy enough for Rog).

Reactions: Carols and Scarponi
Sadly, TdF 2022 did not really tell us anything about Primoz‘ exact shape, and the level he would have been able to achieve in the race, had he not crashed. His Vuelta 2022 got destroyed by the consequences of this crash.

I guess Primoz would have been on a similar level to Jonas in the TdF 2022. For 2023, if Primoz should ride the TdF (which I‘m sure of), to me it‘s clear that Primoz won‘t be Plan B or a domestique to Jonas. Primoz and Jonas then will be co-leaders on an equal level, getting both the same support.

Jonas had a very, very high level in TdF 2022. Certainly best ever GT performance. Fastest TdF ever. Extremely strong on all terrain. Primoz in top shape is on exactly the same level.

Primoz‘ masterpiece GT wise was Vuelta 2021. Starting with 2021‘s Vuelta, and even improving this level, he will wxactly be on the level of Jonas and Tadej. No doubt about it.

Roglic was not good enough in PDBF TT 2020, and had bad luck in Tours 2021 and 2022. If he reaches top shapefor July 2023, and stays away from bad luck, he clearly will go for TdF victory in 2023. He hasn‘t won TdF yet - Jonas and Pog already have. That will give Primoz this extra kick of motivation he will need.

He comes back to the TdF again and again, tries and tries. In the end, he could win the Tour. He IMHO has best chances, and Jonas and Jumbo certainly still consider him an equal leader to Jonas. Jumbo needs them both. Vinge and Rog vs Pog and Ayuso vs Super Remco. Sounds good, to me… :)

Reactions: Sandisfan