• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 540 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That’s some pretty dumb…or at least unnecessary…stuff for Thomas to put out there. Who does that help? Makes Roglič and Evenepoel look bad for no reason. Thought he was smarter. Does he need listeners that badly? Then to walk it back with “joking”…lame.

to be fair, I'm no fan of Thomas but this doesn't make anyone look bad. Remco does that on his own and Roglic probably interprets it as he should. he probably doesn't take kindly to his temper tantrums and the *** he said about Roglic's sprint on stage 8 when he lost to him. not everyone is going to like everyone.

Cyclingnews article, today:

“The one thing I would say is that Remco hates Jumbo, and Jumbo hate Remco, so that’s not gonna work, is it? Unless they do different programmes,” said Thomas. "You should hear what Roglič says about Remco,” he continued, as Rowe joked for them to “stir the pot now.”“

Edit: sorry, Hugh Januss was faster…
Question now is, what does Primoz say about Remco?!?

I‘m really curious…

Could you imagine that Primoz scolds Remco? That he makes fun of Remco? That he criticizes Remco harshly?

I always felt that Primoz was a very nice, kind person, in relationships with other persons. Maybe I was wrong?!?

I don’t know what to think about the things that Geraint Thomas now said.

How do you all see it?…

Question now is, what does Primoz say about Remco?!?

I‘m really curious…

Could you imagine that Primoz scolds Remco? That he makes fun of Remco? That he criticizes Remco harshly?

I always felt that Primoz was a very nice, kind person, in relationships with other persons. Maybe I was wrong?!?

I don’t know what to think about the things that Geraint Thomas now said.

How do you all see it?…
Evidently Rog told him what he really thinks about Remco, which he would never say to the press. It's like Tyson Fury saying nice things about Deontay Wilder, but the latter hating his guts, except in the reverse.

So Evenepoel has actually been dominating stage races and classics despite others claims? As one example.

Classics and one day races yes, stage races not so much, beyond winning individual stages. Although most of the ones he actually won overall, there it would be hard to claim he didn't dominate.

So stacking Remcos achievements in stage racing against Rogličes. Currently this is a whole different playing field. Such comparison clearly shows on just how dominant Rogla has been in stage races since lets say 2019. And that is on why he will be a leader at the Tour, regardless if Jonas, Remco or somebody else rides in the same team. Rogla is just that good.

So Evenepoel has actually been dominating stage races and classics despite others claims? As one example.
What stage races is Evenepoel dominating? :oops:

Roglic won 20 stage races, among them 4 Grand Tours and 10 WT level races (6 of the big 7), all in last 4-5 years. That's called domination. Or do you know someone did better? Or even close?

Classics, on the other hand, I must admit Remco is a major force in last couple of years. He's the leading one-day racer together with Pogacar and Van der Poel.

So I listened, and yeah, they were chuckling about it, but seemed to me they meant it and were having a laugh about it, but I don’t think it can be dismissed as he didn’t mean what he said.

But yeah, CN posting it as a headline is par for the course. Douchebaggery…
If you know anything about G, he was just taking the piss... Any other interpretation is wilfully malicious.

• Haha
Reactions: joseph89
Classics and one day races yes, stage races not so much, beyond winning individual stages. Although most of the ones he actually won overall, there it would be hard to claim he didn't dominate.

So stacking Remcos achievements in stage racing against Rogličes. Currently this is a whole different playing field. Such comparison clearly shows on just how dominant Rogla has been in stage races since lets say 2019. And that is on why he will be a leader at the Tour, regardless if Jonas, Remco or somebody else rides in the same team. Rogla is just that good.
What stage races is Evenepoel dominating? :oops:

Roglic won 20 stage races, among them 4 Grand Tours and 10 WT level races (6 of the big 7), all in last 4-5 years. That's called domination. Or do you know someone did better? Or even close?
Thank you for arguing mine and everyone else’s point that not all wins are the same. Evenepoel gets belittled as a stage racer and he’s won a GT and 10 other stage races. That’s far better than some that are rated as a stage racer.

There’s a difference that is being stated, and is ignored by the fans; Roglic winning does not equal that he dominated the opposition. Is him winning over a long period domination, yes. But that’s not what’s being discussed. It’s on his status to Pogacar and Vingegaard. Roglic the majority of the time wins because he uses his brains, stomps them, and has the best or one of the best teams in the race to win those close GCs. While compared to Pogacar and Vingegaard who quite frankly play with their food because they are far and away the strongest.

Case in point;
Roglic has won 15 of his 20 stage races with less than a min advantage. 75%
Pogacar has won 7 of his 13 stage races with less than a min advantage. 54%
Vingegaard has won 1 of his 6 stage races with less than a min advantage. 17%
Evenepoel 7 of his 11 stage races with less than a min advantage. 64%

Roglic is closer to Evenepoel, quite a bit of peoples number 4 stage racer, than he is to Pog and Vinge.

Reactions: Berniece
My favorite Rog GT win was the recent Giro. It doesn't get better than a 14 second win after a dropped chain the final ITT. The Vuelta 2020 was also epic (when it was all going to sh*t, the Alto de la Covatilla climb went on & on & on, i.e. interminable stuff really). So the end (happy) result was so satisfying. Likewise Liège, i.e. snatching victory from certain defeat.

The point is that's what makes Roglič... Roglič. Not arguments about his superiority. Winning with a 7 minute lead would be out of character. Not his style, basically. If he ever wins the TdF, it'll be after some edge of the seat drama & social media erupting with comments about how he wasn't the strongest in the race (always preferable to causing a flood of activity & suspicions in the other part of this forum, right?).

And for me (at least from the outside), looking at Jumbo's behavior here & comments about a possible transfer (notwithstanding the merger rumors), Zeeman & Plugge always repeat the same stuff, i.e. "Rog is not for sale, he's our king" etc. etc. So IMO Roglič is in a very unusual situation whereby Jumbo prefer Vingegaard (especially in the TdF) but they also don't want to let Rog leave. I mean usually in these cases the team would want to save themselves 2 million a year & say goodbye. But the fact Jumbo are still very clingy (& seemingly won't let go of him) says it all really.

Evenepoel gets belittled as a stage racer and he’s won a GT and 10 other stage races. That’s far better than some that are rated as a stage racer.
2 of which were WT: UAE and Pologne.

Evenepoel has won 1 of the 10 greatest stage races, Rogla has won 13 of those. This season alone of Rogla beats the entire career of Evenepoel in this regard.

They are not in the same league, not even in bordering leagues.

My favorite Rog GT win was the recent Giro. It doesn't get better than a 14 second win after a dropped chain the final ITT. The Vuelta 2020 was also epic (when it was all going to sh*t, the Alto de la Covatilla climb went on & on & on, i.e. interminable stuff really). So the end (happy) result was so satisfying. Likewise Liège, i.e. snatching victory from certain defeat.

The point is that's what makes Roglič... Roglič. Not arguments about his superiority. Winning with a 7 minute lead would be out of character. Not his style, basically. If he ever wins the TdF, it'll be after some edge of the seat drama & social media erupting with comments about how he wasn't the strongest in the race (always preferable to causing a flood of activity & suspicions in the other part of this forum, right?).

And for me (at least from the outside), looking at Jumbo's behavior here & comments about a possible transfer (notwithstanding the merger rumors), Zeeman & Plugge always repeat the same stuff, i.e. "Rog is not for sale, he's our king" etc. etc. So IMO Roglič is in a very unusual situation whereby Jumbo prefer Vingegaard (especially in the TdF) but they also don't want to let Rog leave. I mean usually in these cases the team would want to save themselves 2 million a year & say goodbye. But the fact Jumbo are still very clingy (& seemingly won't let go of him) says it all really.
Roglic has pathos. He's the one they sing songs about. Not Vingo. Too dominant, too robotic, too spineless.

Thank you for arguing mine and everyone else’s point that not all wins are the same. Evenepoel gets belittled as a stage racer and he’s won a GT and 10 other stage races. That’s far better than some that are rated as a stage racer.

There’s a difference that is being stated, and is ignored by the fans; Roglic winning does not equal that he dominated the opposition. Is him winning over a long period domination, yes. But that’s not what’s being discussed. It’s on his status to Pogacar and Vingegaard. Roglic the majority of the time wins because he uses his brains, stomps them, and has the best or one of the best teams in the race to win those close GCs. While compared to Pogacar and Vingegaard who quite frankly play with their food because they are far and away the strongest.

Case in point;
Roglic has won 15 of his 20 stage races with less than a min advantage. 75%
Pogacar has won 7 of his 13 stage races with less than a min advantage. 54%
Vingegaard has won 1 of his 6 stage races with less than a min advantage. 17%
Evenepoel 7 of his 11 stage races with less than a min advantage. 64%

Roglic is closer to Evenepoel, quite a bit of peoples number 4 stage racer, than he is to Pog and Vinge.
Case in point:
Roglic won 20 stage races (4 GT + 10 WT + 6 minor ones), 70% being big races
Pogacar won 13 stage races (2 GT + 6 WT + 5 minor), 62% big races
Vingegaard won 6 stage races (2 GT + 2WT + 2 minor), 67% big races
Evenepoel won 11 stage races (1 GT + 2WT + 8 minor), 27% big races

So we have Roglic on top of the list in both races won, and percentage of this races being the highest category.
Domination again.. ;)

I also don’t think G was taking a piss there… And I really like&respect the guy and have listened to his podcasts occasionally. I just don’t think it’s his usual deadpan delivery there…

If he did mean it, I wouldn’t read too much into it though. Of course, Roglic doesn’t like Remco too much after their mind games in Catalunya and even this Vuelta. Not to point any fingers but I would imagine those two don’t get along very well after that.

2 of which were WT: UAE and Pologne.

Evenepoel has won 1 of the 10 greatest stage races, Rogla has won 13 of those. This season alone of Rogla beats the entire career of Evenepoel in this regard.

They are not in the same league, not even in bordering leagues.

There was also a point in time where Roglic had won just 1 WT stage race. At that point, he was as good as anyone in stage races, nevertheless.

So I don't know what your point is.

Latest posts