• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 689 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How did he burn himself?
He clearly couldn't follow the last accelerations by Pogacar the same way as he did before.

Ed.: If I remember correctly he went about 75K out with 0 domestiques ahead or in the same group, trying to isolate himself with Pogacar. Then from the time they gave up on the break, more or less 4-5K later, he was on the defensive the entire way.

Last edited:
He clearly couldn't follow the last accelerations by Pogacar the same way as he did before.

Ed.: If I remember correctly he went about 75K out with 0 domestiques ahead or in the same group, trying to isolate himself with Pogacar. Then from the time they gave up on the break, more or less 4-5K later, he was on the defensive the entire way.
He had a mechanical and had to fight back, which is why there was a gap when Pogacar, Jorgensen and Vingegaard went away. Which Evenepoel closed by himself. In the last gravel strokes he was in the wheel of Pogacar, and held back because Vingegaard wanted the wheel. So he went in his brakes and then took *** corners out of lack of gravel skills.

So I didn't see any bonehead attacks that burned him.

He had a mechanical and had to fight back, which is why there was a gap when Pogacar, Jorgensen and Vingegaard went away. Which Evenepoel closed by himself. In the last gravel strokes he was in the wheel of Pogacar, and held back because Vingegaard wanted the wheel. So he went in his brakes and then took *** corners out of lack of gravel skills.

He did attack, Pog looked at Jonas and was told it's the yellow jerseys responsibility to close the attack.

I will rewatch this evening, but I noted that he was consistently in worse positions from like 60K in than previously and he had the mechanical (is that confirmed btw?) already not in the front of the group but in the middle/end.

In my opinion he wasted a lot of good power on moves where he had no plan on how to follow-up. The "what now?" look they exchanged with Pogacar when Vingegaard had the gall not to pull (which should have been expected) was one of the silliest moments I've seen in cycling from such high level racers. Not Tour 2006-level silliness, but it was really silly.

So stage 9 to round-off the extended and rather demanding week of racing with some rest, yesterday finishing in the same time as the rest of favourites for the overall. Good. Considering week one was always about other contenders, to come with all guns blazing, finishing it in top 4 and 01:36 down on Pogi, some of that time being bonus seconds. Great.

As for the team, they won positioning battle on first sector, then a rather demanding second sector came, on where they were totally out of position and needed to burn matches, even Rogla in need to close the gap for himself. This likely determined team performance as a whole, for the rest of the stage. All other sectors it was Visma and UAE, that won the positioning battle. Bora almost always had somebody besides Rogla, Vlasov shown some real character, getting right back on the bike, after the crash ... So as a team they were there for Rogla, in a case of a mechanical but if one (or more) of the favourites would rode away, Rogla would be put in much difficulty.

As for week two. As some cracks started to emerge, competition, deeper into week two i feel that Rogla has some good opportunities to move up in GC. Initiative likely still to be mainly on other GC favourites and their teams.

I will rewatch this evening, but I noted that he was consistently in worse positions from like 60K in than previously and he had the mechanical (is that confirmed btw?) already not in the front of the group but in the middle/end.
Number 5 in this overview. It says mechanical for Evenepoel.

I watched Chris Horner's take on the stage and he called Pogacar and Remco knuckleheads for the amount of energy they wasted for zero gain. He did say Vingagaard and Roglic did the best on the stage by not losing time and conserving energy (I don't think they conserved any, tbh).
I think Vingagaard and Roglic are playing the long gain, but Vingagaard is being smart (meaning he could have worked yesterday) and Roglic has no other choice (he's just hanging on for dear life, hoping for improved form later in the race). Losing Vlasov is another blow to him. I have no idea how he'll do in the coming weeks, but I am not optomistic. I hope I'm wrong.

So we have Tour 2020 reversed. Roglič without team vs Pogacar with strong team. Let's see if Pogačar makes the same mistake...

I think he would never make the same mistake if it was a one on one. So far it seems that the race dynamics are creating a situation where Roglic remains in "shooting distance", just like Pogacar was in 2020.

I watched Chris Horner's take on the stage and he called Pogacar and Remco knuckleheads for the amount of energy they wasted for zero gain. He did say Vingagaard and Roglic did the best on the stage by not losing time and conserving energy (I don't think they conserved any, tbh).
Horner calling anyone a knucklehead is fairly ironic, but Pogi? As if his style of racing hasn't been wildly successful? I don't disagree that it's good that Vingo and Roglič saved (some) energy, but the latter did a LOT of chasing and let's be honest, just didn't have it to be up front. He wasn't saving energy as much as getting dropped.

Sure it was quite nerve-wracking watching the stage yesterday, but my conclusion is that Rog does not lack power but he is unwilling to go all out in a fight for position. Case in point; he never lost the wheel himself but he was always at the back of the group and when somebody in front loses the wheel that is it. When he needed to close the gap himself he was quite powerful. I would love to have seen what would have happened if Rog was on Pog's wheel during one of Pog's attacks.

Reactions: JosefK