• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The move sure was entertaining if not particularly smart. It would surely be a lot smarter if he did that on a MTF but in that case, it wouldn't really be a surprise attack, would it?

Besides, there's a deeper point a dominating rider makes when he does an unneccessary and very risky attack. It's as if he's trying to show his opposition that they better not even think about bullying him because he is prepared to put everything on the line if neccessary. Not to mention the PR benefits. I'm far from being a Froome fan but that descent from Peyresourde 2016 sure made me reconsider how I rate his qualities...

I guess the bottom line is - you don't become a cycling legend just by calculating and maximising your opportunities. It's that kind of stuff that will make us fans remember Primoz togehter with Nibali, Contador, Pantani with a smile on our face long after they have finished their careers... I realize Primoz has some work to do to be mentioned together with these names, but he is on his way I think..

Agree 100 percent.

I fear, however, that so long as Pogacar is racing, Primoz may never win the Tour. I picked him this year as my favorite but even in top form I have to admit he couldn't have beaten his countryman. I'd like to see him notch a Giro, at least. I worry that, despite what he says, the pressure of the Tour might be self-defeating.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What a great and powerful win today, really exciting to watch. Bravo Roglic

E9qM9xqXEAgf4Gl
And bravo to Mas and Magnus for being serious racers, too. This is the first GT in memory that Movistar has placed their riders into the position to do well and they have. We're early in Week Two and they're still in the scene; making this fun racing to watch.

Agree 100 percent.

I fear, however, that so long as Pogacar is racing, Primoz may never win the Tour. I picked him this year as my favorite but even in top form I have to admit he couldn't have beaten his countryman. I'd like to see him notch a Giro, at least. I worry that, despite what he says, the pressure of the Tour might be self-defeating.
In each of their best form, and appropriately prepared for the 3 week parcours they are very close. If it comes to sheer combativeness; I'd give the edge to Primoz. That doesn't necessarily translate to a win as Tadej is a seriously wise, old racer. A certain amount of circumstantial luck could take them either way. It's a lively and fun environment and, hopefully Mas, Storer, Kuss and some others will tweak up the party in the upcoming seasons.

Agree 100 percent.

Next year or in 2023 Pogi will probably ride the Giro so Primoz had better make sure he stays on his bike when the occasion arises!

I will never be convinced Pogačar is unbeatable. He has shown some seriously dominant performances, but so has Roglič. Whenever the two competed together in a stage race, Roglič turned out better than Pogačar on more occasions. Of course, Pogačar turned out better on the ones, that count (more).

I think Roglič should find a way to use this public perception of Pogačar being unbeatable terminator to his advantage. If he can find a way to stun Pogačar/UAE it could be very interesting next year...

But isn't the Vuelta the GT taylor made for Rogla? He is next to unbeatable in those 3k@20% ramps. Not that he cannot win the other GT's (I believe he will, even the tdf), but the Vuelta he wins even short of form, like last year.

In my eyes another important thing about Roglic is that he's so steady over a whole season. His ups and downs, his best form and worst form, are not that much different, you can hardly see clear peaks. So while others' form might be significantly below their best at the Vuelta, a GT that's not specifically targeted by many, his is always kind of good.

In my eyes another important thing about Roglic is that he's so steady over a whole season. His ups and downs, his best form and worst form, are not that much different, you can hardly see clear peaks. So while others' form might be significantly below their best at the Vuelta, a GT that's not specifically targeted by many, his is always kind of good.
If you take away just one rider in the entire peloton, this argument isn't true anymore. He has similar advantage over his comeptition in this year's Vuelta as he had in last year's Tour so saying he is better in Vuelta than the Tour due to Vuelta having weaker field is not accurate IMO...

I wouldn't exactly say Pantani is in jeopardy just yet. But all that talk about robots and Roglič being a rather non charismatic champion. Taking his highs and lows into consideration and some legendary interviews after a hard day of work. Like the last one "no risk, no glory".

It's safe to say the tide is changing?
I think it's very hard to shake off a 'boring' image. Roglic seems way different with other riders than with journalists tbh.

Apparently he's in peak form all year round except Christmas (when he overeats a bit). As for the second part of your post: he and Pogacar are simply the best GT riders by far and he's a natural favourite at any GT not contested by is compatriot (low competition level at the Vuelta is not an explanation cause it's been high for a few years now).

Apparently he's in peak form all year round except Christmas (when he overeats a bit). As for the second part of your post: he and Pogacar are simply the best GT riders by far and he's a natural favourite at any GT not contested by is compatriot (low competition level at the Vuelta is not an explanation cause it's been high for a few years now).
Vuelta field should be fine all things considering. Especially when Mas and MAL are in this shape. There aren't that many top tier or even dark horse type riders around right now.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
I somehow doubt Bernal and Landa didn't target this year Vuelta. It's just that Roglič is still in his Tour form.

In defense of Bernal he had Covid after the Giro, fell on the Vuelta a Burgos, a terrible run up to the Vuelta. I'm not surprised he has underperformed.

We can't know how long it took landa to recover from that crash.

And also this is the Vuelta Roglic had the least amount of racedays on his legs.

If you take away just one rider in the entire peloton, this argument isn't true anymore. He has similar advantage over his comeptition in this year's Vuelta as he had in last year's Tour so saying he is better in Vuelta than the Tour due to Vuelta having weaker field is not accurate IMO...

Where did I say anything about a weak field in my post?
All I said is that the main difference between Roglic and most other riders is that he's pretty much in the same good shape all year. I believe his high is not as high as Pogacar's, but he doesn't tend to get any real lows either.
It wasn't meant as an argument either, more of an observation, but if you want to see it as an argument, okay.

Where did I say anything about a weak field in my post?
All I said is that the main difference between Roglic and most other riders is that he's pretty much in the same good shape all year. I believe his high is not as high as Pogacar's, but he doesn't tend to get any real lows either.
It wasn't meant as an argument either, more of an observation, but if you want to see it as an argument, okay.

Obviously I agreed that Roglic is in a good form all year wrong. But you mentioned that others may be significantly below their best at the Vuelta which is not the case looking at Mas and Lopez this year or Carapaz last year. Climbing times at recent Vueltas also confirm high level.

I wouldn't exactly say Pantani is in jeopardy just yet. But all that talk about robots and Roglič being a rather non charismatic champion. Taking his highs and lows into consideration and some legendary interviews after a hard day of work. Like the last one "no risk, no glory".

It's safe to say the tide is changing?

I've really warmed up to Roglic over time. (no homo). I listen to a lot of dutch cycling podcasts and everytime a person from Jumbo Visma joins at a podcast they are full of admiration about Roglics personality and his dedication. One also said that Roglic enjoys giving simple answers to journalists, but it does seem he's opening up a little bit lately.

The way Roglic handles big dissapointment/loss is just phenomenal. I have so much respect for that.

I've really warmed up to Roglic over time. (no homo). I listen to a lot of dutch cycling podcasts and everytime a person from Jumbo Visma joins at a podcast they are full of admiration about Roglics personality and his dedication. One also said that Roglic enjoys giving simple answers to journalists, but it does seem he's opening up a little bit lately.

The way Roglic handles big dissapointment/loss is just phenomenal. I have so much respect for that.
Why do you have to say no homo xD

Otherwise I agree. I like him more now than I did 2-3 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS