• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 175 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For Lemond I think you rate the comeback primarily.

I don't think winning the Tour due to aero bars is a big plus.
The 1989 Tour is overrated as f**k only because of the final stage overhyped drama that basically was only Fignon showing how dumb he was deciding to ride the final ITT on a road bike after he had already lost the Giro five years earlier for the same mistake, five years he had to learn from it! Personally i'd put it as the least impressive of Lemond's three, i mean 1986 was one of the best Tours ever, an epic battle that will always be shown in the history books and also 1990 IMHO was better with the fight to claw back the time that was gifted to Chiappucci that apexed in the masterpiece ambush on the Massif en road to Sanit Etienne.

Reactions: Sandisfan
i don't think Roglic is a particularly bad bike handler at all but I do think that he isn't so great at positioning within the peloton. I notice that he tends to lose the wheel of his teammates quite often in the last 15km or so of a flat finish. a lot of times it's while he's following WVA, so possibly he is partly to blame as well. I think this played into his TDF crash a lot more than his bike handling did, Wout had him right at the front in a perfect position a few km before. it did seem like he was a lot more attentive at the Vuelta when it got crazy, for instance he was directly ahead of the big pileup on the Albacete stage.

i think his crash on stage 10 of the Vuelta was due his inexperience with disc brakes or possibly due to disc brakes having no place on road bikes in the first place but that's a discussion for another day.

i don't think Roglic is a particularly bad bike handler at all but I do think that he isn't so great at positioning within the peloton. I notice that he tends to lose the wheel of his teammates quite often in the last 15km or so of a flat finish. a lot of times it's while he's following WVA, so possibly he is partly to blame as well. I think this played into his TDF crash a lot more than his bike handling did, Wout had him right at the front in a perfect position a few km before. it did seem like he was a lot more attentive at the Vuelta when it got crazy, for instance he was directly ahead of the big pileup on the Albacete stage.

i think his crash on stage 10 of the Vuelta was due his inexperience with disc brakes or possibly due to disc brakes having no place on road bikes in the first place but that's a discussion for another day.
The bad thing IMO is that other riders probably know they can push Roglic and get his position quite easily.

Reactions: Luthor and Carols

There was an interview earlier this year in which Roglic said the disc brakes were actually better in the rain, so I don't think he's got any issues with them per se (in fact his Lagos de Covadonga rainy stage win showed he looked quite comfortable).

As for stage 10, Kenny Elissonde said the descent (in which Roglic fell) was like riding on "soap or ice": La Vuelta 2021 - 10e étape : Kenny Elissonde : "On avait l'impression de rouler sur du savon ou de la glace" - Vidéo Cyclisme - Eurosport

So the execution of the attack was perfect... but the road conditions were worse than expected.

65922311.jpg

By now i feel that both Roglič and Pogačar are aware of the fact, that if they want to beat Contador and Froome, well then they need each other. Hence when one is a bit down i am sure that the other sends him a text:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o

65922311.jpg

By now i feel that both Roglič and Pogačar are aware of the fact, that if they want to beat Contador and Froome, well then they need each other. Hence when one is a bit down i am sure that the other sends him a text:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o
No, here you are wrong. Pogačar doesn't care. He wants to stomp - especially Roglič.

That’s the sentiment I’m getting from him. He’s happy as long as he beats Roglič. Or maybe he just finds that extra gear when it’s time to stomp Roglič(specifically). That’s why I find it really hard to root for him for the time being…
I don't think that's the case. I think Pogačar just wants to be the best. It just happened that to be the best he had to beat the strongest rider and that rider was Roglič. He had a little extra motivation against him probably because they come from the same country. He saw how people looked at Rogla in the Tour of Slovenia when Pogi was still on a continental team and even if I'm not sure he said so publicly, I think Pogi always had Primož as a reference point in his early career. But I wouldn't go as far as saying he is happy as long as he beats Roglič.

What I do think though, is that there is a misconception among the majority of cycling fans and cycling media. They see Roglič as the ruthless one, the one who wants to win no matter what, the one who doesn't give gifts to his rivals and so on... All that because of that one time when he beat Mader in the last 100m in Paris-Nice. Now everytime he does something similar, be it when he passes Cort on a short steep climb in the finale, overtakes Mas in a ITT when he is fighting for a stage win or when he drops Bernal on Lagos de Covadonga, when he didn't even attack and didn't even want to drop him, but was just riding tempo... then when you add Kirby screaming how Roglič loves to impose himself and stamp his authority on the race,...then people really start to believe he is the one who really wants to win at any costs.

But I think it's the other way around. Roglič doesn't have the killer mentality, Pogačar has it. He is the true new "Cannibal", he wants to turn every small opportunity he gets into a win. Not only that. He wants to almost humiliate his opponents at times. Look at his attacks on Le Grand Bornand, on Prati di Tivo, on Castelfidardo stage, look at his sprints when he is fighting for a stage win. He beats people on paper much faster than him. And I think we'll see more of this in the future from him.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's the feeling I get from watching those two.

Reactions: Eeslliw
To be honest when i read we now have 3 coaches and none of them considers to be a real one, looking at the profiles and reading on how Pogačar will just do them all ...

I somehow just wished, after reading all that, that hopefully in best case scenario we might get one medal out of it, highly likely not gold. EC was rather bad and lets see how the WC will pan out. In general i feel that the current situation is rather bad and as such not all that great results will follow.

A whole lot of work left to do over the winter. Slovenia now has a team that if they don't bring a medal or two back home that is and should be considered as a disappointment. In addition we have two super stars and a couple of other cyclist that should get opportunities and should bring medals home.

With some amateurish approach this won't ever work. Get your shirt together.

To be honest when i read we now have 3 coaches and none of them considers to be a real one, looking at the profiles and reading on how Pogačar will just do them all ...

I somehow just wished, after reading all that, that hopefully in best case scenario we might get one medal out of it, highly likely not gold. EC was rather bad and lets see how the WC will pan out. In general i feel that the current situation is rather bad and as such not all that great results will follow.

A whole lot of work left to do over the winter. Slovenia now has a team that if they don't bring a medal or two back home that is and should be considered as a disappointment. In addition we have two super stars and a couple of other cyclist that should get opportunities and should bring medals home.

With some amateurish approach this won't ever work. Get your shirt together.
Honestly don't think a medal for Slovenia is likely this WC at least for the mens elite. But it's really important to have a good back room there.

It doesn't seem to me that Roglic and Pogacar really have issues with riding together, so it's weird to have big coaching problems all the same.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Honestly don't think a medal for Slovenia is likely this WC at least for the mens elite. But it's really important to have a good back room there.

It doesn't seem to me that Roglic and Pogacar really have issues with riding together, so it's weird to have big coaching problems all the same.
There seems to be some kind of a power grab at the top of Slovenian Cycling Federation so behind the scenes it is all about the money and politics. The least interference that has with the riders the better, hopefully.

If you manage two super stars then sooner rather than latter your ass will be on the line. You will need to cope with the pressure and different interests that comes with it. Stick by your decision and to take responsibility after. In addition obviously you need to be good at your job to get good results. You need to know what you are doing and be good at it.

As for having a realistic chance for the medal or not. IMHO you don't get to think like that if you are a coach of team Slovenia in this times. Medal or you failed. That is the reality.

I thought an added "cool factor" to the gold medal won by Primoz Roglic in the Olympics was the fact the Slovenian national team coach was Andrej Hauptmann, i.e. UAE sports director.

And yes we know was also history between them which predated the whole "Pogacar versus Roglic" rivalry, but it's still pretty epic to have one of Pogacar's sports directors from his team be the guy in the car when Roglic got the gold medal.

Hauptman is a good example as for sure there were pressures. Pogačar could end up riding the Olympic ITT. If some amateur would be in control. I doubt we would be bringing gold medal back home. As Pogačar was drained by the time ITT was on the schedule and it would show. All in all Hauptman knew what he was doing took the responsibility and the results came.

Two medals on Olympics.

TRENDING THREADS