• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 246 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't understand, though, how exactly Jumbo squandered Roglic's chances at winning the Tour over the last 4 years? In 2018-19 he was just not ready to beat Thomas-Bernal. In 2020 he got bettered on the last day by the greatest talent we have ever seen . Whereas last year he crashed badly and eventually pulled out, which wasn't Jumbo's fault, regardless of the fact that I agree with you they overextend themselves (like all this week with Wout and especially in this last stage - what was he doing? And what were they thinking?) to the point of hubris. In reality, however, Roglic had his chance in 2020, but alas failed to come through with the goods in spectacular fashion. And I respect the guy immensely
He was the best stage racer in the world in 2019. Had he skipped the Giro and prepared for the Tour like he did for the Vuelta, he would have been the most likely Tour winner that year.

Yeah that one day that locks up the GC is probably Roglic putting 2 minutes into Bernal in the ITT. Iseran nor Galibier were that extreme, I'd back Rog to be able to follow both times.
And Jumbo would have done even better in the TTT with Rogla. It was a great route for him.

I see what you mean but within context of this TdF (& I don't really know what happened with Schachmann in stage 6 which prompted his outburst, even though he should probably STFU & mind his own business), we're seeing Roglic come through a really strange year & sort of pivotal moment in his career. There was an article post-Paris-Nice in which Roglic spoke about constantly learning & in that case, being less aggressive, less focused on chasing wins at all costs (like going against nature of sorts when Laporte was gifted the win).

Well, considering where all that has led him (loss of TdF leadership in his team & a complete disaster after his own bosses pulled his teammates back from him on Wednesday), I wouldn't be surprised if Roglic 1.01 returns, i.e. the super aggressive Rogla who'll never get a Christmas card from Gino Mäder (the version of Roglic which Chris Horner himself dislikes so much).

He's out of time & has nothing to lose. Be it in this TdF (unlikely, due to the injury & overall depressing state of his GC hopes) or more likely in his future races. No more Mr. nice guy who attempts to appease the gods of cycling. Just straight-up aggressive Roglarism (new word) on a bike.

Why not.
I really loved 1.01 Roglic and that look of the devil in his eyes.

• Love
Reactions: Rackham
They did it in 2012 with Cavendish but quickly learned their lesson.
Honestly they didn’t even try with Cavendish until the final 2 stages he won. They didn’t help on any of the first sprint stages and let him do his own thing. He wasn’t part of any of the team meetings or plans, with only Wiggins wanting to work for Cav after the team directors said they were going to have an easy day and let the break go on Cav’s second stage win. All he was, was a trophy wife on their quest to win with Wiggins as he was the British World Champion.

The only team with success at the Tour was Telekom with Zabel and Ullrich. Tinkoff had moderate success with Contador and Sagan, to the point Sagan is the reason Kreuziger got 10th in 2016.

Jumbo could work too if majority of their riders was to help Vingegaard and Roglic, while WVA did his own thing like Sagan and he’d still win green as he can score points anywhere. The problem is either the team and/or riders getting greedy and wanting more.

If the GC and sprinter aren’t rated top 3 of everyone, it could potentially be easier as the team isn’t expected to work as hard compared to the others.

Honestly they didn’t even try with Cavendish until the final 2 stages he won. They didn’t help on any of the first sprint stages and let him do his own thing. He wasn’t part of any of the team meetings or plans, with only Wiggins wanting to work for Cav after the team directors said they were going to have an easy day and let the break go on Cav’s second stage win. All he was, was a trophy wife on their quest to win with Wiggins as he was the British World Champion.

The only team with success at the Tour was Telekom with Zabel and Ullrich. Tinkoff had moderate success with Contador and Sagan, to the point Sagan is the reason Kreuziger got 10th in 2016.

Jumbo could work too if majority of their riders was to help Vingegaard and Roglic, while WVA did his own thing like Sagan and he’d still win green as he can score points anywhere. The problem is either the team and/or riders getting greedy and wanting more.

If the GC and sprinter aren’t rated top 3 of everyone, it could potentially be easier as the team isn’t expected to work as hard compared to the others.

I don't think Van Aert green campaign has been a problem so far. Maybe it will change as the race goes on, but from what I have seen both him and Laporte had plenty in the tank to help on the cobbles.

Now whether or not the team made the best use of them is obviously debatable, but that's a separate thing to Van Aert's goal being detrimental to the team.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I don't think Van Aert green campaign has been a problem so far. Maybe it will change as the race goes on, but from what I have seen both him and Laporte had plenty in the tank to help on the cobbles.

Now whether or not the team made the best use of them is obviously debatable, but that's a separate thing to Van Aert's goal being detrimental to the team.

In regards to stage 5 they blew it with van Aert. No point in trying to deny that.

What part of the words "separate thing to Van Aert's goal being detrimental to the team" is so incomprehensible?

Or maybe trying differently, I do not see a connection between Van Aert going for green and the team deciding that he should drop back to Vingegaard.

It's not worth a serious debate anymore. It's in the past. But in short he should have been there for Rogla on stage 5. It wouldn't even go against his ambitions.

Own it.

TRENDING THREADS