• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 320 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I almost cannot believe this written statement put out by Jumbo.

Has Primoz been asked to clarify this?
He is coming off as a total clown because of this when he was one of the most loved and respected riders as a person

I want to hear Primoz speak

edit - its as if Jumbo took something Primoz said privately within the team in the immediate aftermath of the incident before he really understood what happened.
then the team just took what they remembered hearing and posted it. wild

I don't know what is most surprising:
  • Jumbo not stopping Roglic posting such BS, but even doubling down on it
  • the fact that some people, despite images conclusively showing it was Roglic that deviated from his line, are still defending Roglic' statement
I'm so fed up with this age of alternative facts. Apparently, everything needs to be up for debate or personal judgement, even though the actual facts are clear. Get over yourselves!
honestly its almost as if Jumbo are throwing him under the bus so they can dedicate more resources to Wout and let Primoz quietly leave or give him less support

• Wow
Reactions: Extinction
convenient that this dogshit video starts way too late
Convenient that we know physics and how Roglic had described the incident couldn’t occur from what happened in the video. This is like the NFL AFC Championship game Patriots at Chiefs when people kept trying to say Edelman touched the football during the punt when every single camera angle cleared that he didn’t.

He is coming off as a total clown because of this when he was one of the most loved and respected riders as a person

edit - its as if Jumbo took something Primoz said privately within the team in the immediate aftermath of the incident before he really understood what happened.
then the team just took what they remembered hearing and posted it. wild

If these quotes on CN are accurate, it sounds like he made them in the days after the crash, not in the immediate aftermath.

"This was not OK," Roglič said. "This shouldn't happen. People move on swiftly as if nothing happened. For me, that doesn't apply. This is not the way I want the sport to continue, and I want to make that clear."

"I can walk a little bit. I am happy with that for the moment. After the crash, it took me time to straighten things out. I asked myself: how can this be? My conclusion is that the way this crash happened is unacceptable. Not everyone saw it correctly."

"The crash was not caused by a bad road or a lack of safety but by a rider's behaviour. I don't have eyes on my back. Otherwise, I would have run wide. Wright came from behind and rode the handlebars out of my hands before I knew it."

Just wild, really, totally out of touch with what can be obviously seen in the videos. Can't figure out how he's gotten to this place. I agree with one thing, that the crash was caused by a rider's behavior. His.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
I will say that he was obviously behind at the time he made contact, and was trying to put himself into a hole that didn't exist. He was in front briefly as they approached the mobile camera, but as we saw in the other views it's because he was fading relative to the speed of the others. This confirms it was totally his fault IMO. Additionally, Wright never deviated, and Roglič did.

I really think you should have another look. The photo posted by Tim Cahill above shows it clearly.

Looks like we are not watching the same video and the seeing moment when Wright bumps in him.. (8;19)

Reactions: Carols
Think it's more likely Roglic in a terrible place mentally right now and Jumbo managment don't have the guts to tell him it was his own fault. Perhaps they thought fans would see it more as a 50/50 situation that could be spun somewhat and missed how stupid it would make them look.

The reaction to this news depends on the country & media platform.

The article on the French L'Equipe for example has a more favorable user reaction towards Rog's point of view. It's a big world out there & neither Twitter (nor this site) hold the universal 'truth' on this matter.

I think the very fact it's almost impossible to have a conversation about this says a lot as well. People are entrenched in their positions & Roglič is a polarizing rider.

I myself didn't understand what caused the crash & didn't venture forwards an opinion. Why? Because the footage was inconclusive. But considering Rog never says anything or publicly complains, I reckon this one is where he draws a line & has his reasons. I also think Jumbo have decided to back him as well.

He shared the story on his Insta. Jumbo's post was liked by Rohan Dennis & Grischa Niermann. This is real & they mean what they say.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looks like we are not watching the same video and the seeing moment when Wright bumps in him.. (8;19)
We are. Does Wright move slightly to the left just before impact? Yes. This is nothing compared to Roglič's movements into Wright from several meters away, and well within anyone's rights. It appears to be little more than his body swaying due to pedaling action. Wright had every right to that space. Roglič tried to jam himself into a space that didn't exist, and was behind Wright when they contacted. He's delusional if he thinks Wright "came from behind" as he was drifting back past every rider in that group.

But I'm repeating myself. I cannot imagine how anyone could see this as Wright's fault. It's not even close.

The reaction to this news depends on the country & media platform.

The article on the French L'Equipe for example has a more favorable user reaction towards Rog's point of view. It's a big world out there & neither Twitter (nor this site) hold the universal 'truth' on this matter.

I think the very fact it's almost impossible to have a conversation about this says a lot as well. People are entrenched in their positions & Roglič is a polarizing rider.

I myself didn't understand what caused the crash & didn't venture forwards an opinion. Why? Because the footage was inconclusive. But considering Rog never says anything or publicly complains, I reckon this one is where he draws a line & has his reasons. I also think Jumbo have decided to back him as well.

He shared the story on his Insta. Jumbo's post was liked by Rohan Dennis & Grischa Niermann. This is real & they mean what they say.
Maybe. But I'm a fan, and IMO he's just wrong here.

Overall it's just saddening to me and I basically just hopes this blows over quickly.

This was my thought too. Roglič is hurt and angry. Let's pump him up and publish this so everybody turn against him and we have him submitted to Vinge, because no other team will want him.
That would be diabolical and s
But Rog was on the left and loosing momentum, whilst veering to the right, eventully pushing Wright off the white stripes closer to the barriers. Then, at the moment of contact, Roglic was already behind Wright's forward surging half. Thus it was completely Roglic's fault for trying to go against physics. Had Roglic been gaining momentum steadily, then he would have a case, but he was getting passed on the right and foolishly tried the impossible in re-accellerating whilst moving in the direction of the rider who was passing him. There's no discussion here.

Reactions: Fantastico
laughing now thinking about the Sagan/Cavendish crash....gee if only Wright would have extended an elbow (like Sagan) ...if Rog would have been against the barriers this entire thing would have a different meaning...just joking....i don't agree with Rog's assessment here...and i am a fan. But its funny when these things get traction. He is always positive, never complains..that i have seen...so to me...he deserves to be given a pass here...i think he is in error...and still like him...politics take on a whole different slant

Oh, really? Am I a close-minded hater too?

It depends on how far you go. I mean what's he really done here? He said another rider caused a crash. That's it. This happens all the time (whether in cycling or other sports) & we don't always see this level of hysteria.

This story right now is approaching Verstappen versus Hamilton 2021 levels of online beat 'em up.

Maybe. But I'm a fan, and IMO he's just wrong here.

Overall it's just saddening to me and I basically just hopes this blows over quickly.

Just imagine what the Blaireau aka Bernard Hinault would have done if he'd attacked in the final km's & then got banged off his bike by a no-name rider like that? (from the same team as another rider who knocked him out of the TdF the year before!).

His reaction would have been worthy of something in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Rog versus Wright will blow over. As a fan I also hope he's given more respect on the road as well.

lol, Wright rode right into him.

the general rule is that if you have your handlebars ahead of the rider behind then it is your position. Wright was never fully along side him until he knocked him off the bike. the uproar in here is like everyone just started following cycling this Monday.
I would say the more important general rule is that if you’re fighting for the red (or yellow or pink) jersey, don’t get into the fray with a group of sprinters in the final meters.

Reactions: Extinction
I would say the more important general rule is that if you’re fighting for the red (or yellow or pink) jersey, don’t get into the fray with a group of sprinters in the final meters.
I wouldn't say that, he had every reason to fight for bonus seconds in his situation, trailing Evenepoel as much as he was. What I would say is don't jam yourself into a line of riders sprinting for the line when you just came off the front of that group (or any other time). Find a lane if you plan to contest the sprint. Nothing conceptually wrong with what he did, his execution (and subsequent reaction) were just way, way off.

It depends on how far you go. I mean what's he really done here? He said another rider caused a crash. That's it. This happens all the time (whether in cycling or other sports) & we don't always see this level of hysteria.

This story right now is approaching Verstappen versus Hamilton 2021 levels of online beat 'em up.

Just imagine what the Blaireau aka Bernard Hinault would have done if he'd attacked in the final km's & then got banged off his bike by a no-name rider like that? (from the same team as another rider who knocked him out of the TdF the year before!).

His reaction would have been worthy of something in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Rog versus Wright will blow over. As a fan I also hope he's given more respect on the road as well.
I’ve been thinking about that—how in the more recent past too, riders like Armstrong and Froome expected to be given space in congested fighting for position. However, even if Roglic had that expectation you can’t expect it to hold true with a group of sprinters approaching the line in the final meters. It’s like”their house, their rules” whether written or unwritten.

TRENDING THREADS