• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 447 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
View: https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/1664675824727994368

The Best Domestique - @seppkuss
The Best Break - @_BHealyyy
Best summit finish - Val di Zoldo
The Best Sprint - @MarkCavendish
The Best revelation rider - @DerekGee7
The Best Attack - @JooAlmeida98
The Best Team Spirit - @INEOSGrenadiers
Amore Infinito Prize - @MarkCavendish
The most Spectacular Stage - Tarvisio - Monte Lussari Tudor ITT
The Best Host City dressing - Oderzo
The Best protagonist rider - @rogla

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Kruijswijk is always underestimated by the more opportunistic fans. But he always delivers when it matters. I'm sure he'll be at a good level again in the Tour.

He really isn't underestimated, he's just got the luxury of riding on an insanely strong team whereby he can blow hot & cold with zero implications for his leader. It means on one day Kruijswijk will be useful, then the next he gets dropped on an innocuous climb.

Jumbo's TdF squad is imbalanced in the mountains although considering the expected superiority of Vingegaard there likely won't be any negative impact from this.

@Oldermanish

More then usual i would say. From declaring Evenepoel and after Thomas the overall winner, their opinion, on a numerous occasions. To going as far as declaring things like Rogla will never win a GT again.

Just beyond.

Even the coverage of the finish in Rome was a bit suspect, i.e. I counted a good ten, fifteen minutes where the cameras had eyes for Cavendish & Thomas only. Rog was nowhere. It was pretty wild to just outright ignore the overall winner like that.

So I mean it's just a fact there was some sourness in their coverage last Sunday.

He really isn't underestimated, he's just got the luxury of riding on an insanely strong team whereby he can blow hot & cold with zero implications for his leader. It means on one day Kruijswijk will be useful, then the next he gets dropped on an innocuous climb.
This sounds more like Sepp Kuss, who can be inexplicably bad on one day and then one of the best climbers in the world on another. Kruijswijk is very consistent, but he's a typical third week rider. That's when he really shines. That's also the reason why he's perpetually underestimated, as in one week races or classics you don't see him because it just doesn't suit him.

Even the coverage of the finish in Rome was a bit suspect, i.e. I counted a good ten, fifteen minutes where the cameras had eyes for Cavendish & Thomas only. Rog was nowhere. It was pretty wild to just outright ignore the overall winner like that.

So I mean it's just a fact there was some sourness in their coverage last Sunday.
I always thought they took the same video feed from the host broadcaster as everyone else, apart from when they switched to their own studio or motorbike analyst. But then again I was watching the 'international feed' and it's been a while since I watched GCN so I'm hardly an expert :)

(Boulting and Stephens on the international feed Eng commentary did a decent job overall, I thought)

There were a few posts that were stating that Rog is able to make his own racing schedule and JV are always in support, but it seems more and more to me that that is not the case. A tired rider who does not want to race in June and July does not kinda indicate that he might do some races during those months, but rather he plainly says no I will not be racing. Also, the non-definite responses Rog gave reinforce this.
I believe JV are utterly ridiculous if they think they can beat a healthy Pog with Jonas. Jonas, of course, deserves a shot to defend his title, but without Rog, Jonas will have to do all the work by himself. And I do not believe he could do it. People might say but there is Wout, but Wout will probably race the way he did the last two editions and thus he will be useless in the first week for the GC guys.
In conclusion, if I am right and Rog wants to do the TdF but he is not allowed by the team, I believe he might feel betrayed by his team. Let us see if this is true but if it is a change of teams should not be out of the question. I am sure we all want to see Rog at the TdF.

• Wow
It's difficult to think about the Tour IMO because the Giro was such a huge win, especially the way in which it unfolded. It's going to be tough ask to get something better than dropping a chain whilst overturning GC in the final ITT... & still winning.

In terms of drama, that was the pinnacle.

I mean the way things are going in the monuments for Van Aert…

I think WvA has become a Tour de France rider tbh, i.e. not GC of course but as a main protagonist? Sure. That's where all his biggest moments have been.

His Tour performances far outweigh his monument performances.

Remco is not doing Vuelta so who is a real contender to even go against Roglic anyway? Thomas indicated he would go for it. Maybe some Tour dropout?

It seems pretty good odds to win another one.

Its still not certain that Remco won't do the Vuelta, apparently he wants to do it but Lefevere doesn't.

Anyway, among other teams, Ineos might go with Thomas, Arensman, Bernal, Rodriguez or even Hart if he recovers from his Giro crash, Mas will be there too, Vlasov should also go for Bora, Haig and Caruso should lead Bahrein, Almeida already confirmed that he will do it and Ayuso should also go unless UAE change plans and its also not impossible that Pogačar goes especially if his wrist injury prevents him from being at his best in the Tour.

Roglič might start the Vuelta as the number 1 favourite but he will have plenty of rivals.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS