• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 450 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I just watched the cobbled stage & Granon stage episodes of the Netflix Tour documentary which was released today.

It's standard sports docu stuff & not particularly interesting tbh.

One of the key aspects of Granon which they completely overlook is the question 'why?' Pogacar had to chase down Rog, i.e. because Van Aert was up the road & Pog couldn't allow Rogla to get up front with WvA. The documentary never touches on this issue, nor why UAE couldn't control the stage that day.

It's just camera in the face "Tour is hell! Tour is Pain! SUFFER!" sports stuff for bored casuals who won't give a sh*t either way. Meh.

Roglič looked cool throughout though.

Happened. Lost quater of a minute. If in shape Pogi or Vinge woulde ride most likely we would be counting minutes ;)

Quarter of a minute is an interesting way of phrasing 15 seconds. Its basically nothing on such a long climb and Roglic spend that climb on Remco's wheel until the last kilomoter. Anyway, while Vingegård and Pogačar would surely gain more time, especially the former one, Remco would still likely be one of the closest riders to them so I wouldn't call that Remco being destroyed. Then, there is also the fact that Remco should be the only GC rider is the world capable of gaining time on Vingegaard and Pogačar in the TTs, so in a well balanced route, with plenty of mountains, including at lower altitude where Remco was the strongest in the Vuelta last year but also 60 / 70 TT kilometers, he wouldn't be the biggest favourite but he should be able to fight for the win.

Last edited:
Due to them being teammates we can only speculate. On the other hand Rogla and Pogi did race against each other on numerous occasions. And based on that racing i feel that some assumptions are a bit off. Suggesting Rogla is in any way behind.

As for comparison with Evenepoel. The sample is in my opinion too small. One stage. Knowing there were other circumstances involved.

Anyway. What we know is Evenepoel can climb with the best. What we don't know yet if he can do that in third week of a demanding GT race. That is against top tier cyclists. Currently it's speculated three of such beasts are looming in the pro peloton. Number could still drop by the end of the year.

Next year Remco can again try to join such club. As he doesn't plan to race any more GTs this year. We'll see.

If you dont hate Remco, you starting to hate him because he is in f.. every thread of better riders, but he need yet to prove that almighty state. 😑
1/ There is only one thread of better riders and this ain't it.
2/ if you actually read why he was being mentioned the past few pages, it was by people trying to ridicule and discredit him.

Quarter of a minute is an interesting way of phrasing 15 seconds. Its basically nothing on such a long climb and Roglic spend that climb on Remco's wheel until the last kilomoter. Anyway, while Vingegård and Pogačar would surely gain more time, especially the former one, Remco would still likely be one of the closest riders to them so I wouldn't call that Remco being destroyed. Then, there is also the fact that Remco should be the only GC rider is the world capable of gaining time on Vingegaard and Pogačar in the TTs, so in a well balanced route, with plenty of mountains, including at lower altitude where Remco was the strongest in the Vuelta last year but also 60 / 70 TT kilometers, he wouldn't be the biggest favourite but he should be able to fight for the win.
I hope he enters TDF 2024. Until then let's agree we disagree ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan and KZD
New Netflix TDF documentary

FyF5lkUWwAIug0T

FyF5lkkX0AwNpKX

It was quite amusing seeing the contrast, the ultra competitive and moody Van Aert, the nervous and tetchy Vingegaard, the TJV corporates wearing black looking like they were calmly plotting their next genocide.

Then the first shots of Roglic in quick succession were him looking like he wasn't listening to a word they were saying at a team talk, calling the documentary stupid and smiling and waving at old woman on the side of the road like he's a three year old learning how to ride a pennyfarthing.

It was quite amusing seeing the contrast, the ultra competitive and moody Van Aert, the nervous and tetchy Vingegaard, the TJV corporates wearing black looking like they were calmly plotting their next genocide.

Then the first shots of Roglic in quick succession were him looking like he wasn't listening to a word they were saying at a team talk, calling the documentary stupid and smiling and waving at old woman on the side of the road like he's a three year old learning how to ride a pennyfarthing.

This pretty much sums it up.

Netflix found (manufactured?) some hilarious drama between Vingegaard & Wout van Aert as well (with Vinge portrayed as a bit of a whinger), whilst Rogla... just did his job & said nothing. Even after the cobbled stage, he was just totally "I have no problem with the decisions".

I found Rog's smirk when WvA made a quip about dropping both him & Vinge on stage 4 (when he won with the yellow on his back) pretty hilarious as well (that's after Grischa had to explain to Van Aert during his massage that Vingegaard wasn't happy he was dropped).

Roglič just gives zero damns.

Netflix found (manufactured?) some hilarious drama between Vingegaard & Wout van Aert as well (with Vinge portrayed as a bit of a whinger), whilst Rogla... just did his job & said nothing. Even after the cobbled stage, he was just totally "I have no problem with the decisions".

I found Rog's smirk when WvA made a quip about dropping both him & Vinge on stage 4 (when he won with the yellow on his back) pretty hilarious as well (that's after Grischa had to explain to Van Aert during his massage that Vingegaard wasn't happy he was dropped).

It's like in the Formula 1 equivalent, the documentary makers are trying to create drama where there is none. They even use some dodgy translations. Everything to construct a story, because there always has to be a story. 'Roglic is left all on his own' says the English voiceover when you clearly see two teammates riding their arses off for him. 'If you'd only waited for Vingegaard' says Niermann in the English version to Van Aert after Dunkerque, when in Dutch he says 'if you'd waited, surely you'd have been caught'.

But unlike in Drive to Survive, this time the stories aren't even properly fleshed out. Roglic gets an elaborate introduction, but his abandon is just three seconds. Okay, bye! Why did he abandon? Cycling followers know, the average viewer won't, because it's never really explained.

It's like in the Formula 1 equivalent, the documentary makers are trying to create drama where there is none. They even use some dodgy translations. Everything to construct a story, because there always has to be a story. 'Roglic is left all on his own' says the English voiceover when you clearly see two teammates riding their arses off for him. 'If you'd only waited for Vingegaard' says Niermann in the English version to Van Aert after Dunkerque, when in Dutch he says 'if you'd waited, surely you'd have been caught'.

But unlike in Drive to Survive, this time the stories aren't even properly fleshed out. Roglic gets an elaborate introduction, but his abandon is just three seconds. Okay, bye! Why did he abandon? Cycling followers know, the average viewer won't, because it's never really explained.

The best documentary about Jumbo was Code Yellow, aka the doc about the 2020 TdF. It was the most 'unfiltered' since it contained most of the drama which actually took place (like Niermann's use of colourful language about Pogacar on the Grand Colombier stage & Dumoulin's complete tearful breakdown in the Pyrenees). It's available here: https://nos.nl/collectie/13867/vide...r-de-schermen-bij-jumbo-visma-tijdens-de-tour

I also enjoyed Jumbo's own 2020 Vuelta documentary (available on their youtube channel, I believe).

As far as my opinion goes, the Netflix doc is a total bust & has merit only because it's Netflix & available to a large casual market (especially in North America) who might be seeing some of this stuff headlined for the first time since L.A.

I mean who gives a cr*p about Steve Chainel's melodramatic commentary about how hard cycling is? Or David Millar's little 'wisdoms'? And why is Pogacar portrayed as some sort of unassailable Ivan Drago of cycling?

My rating is a complete 'meh out of ten'.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The best part after stage 4:
WVA to Pogacar: I surprised you, right?
Pogacar: Good that you dropped your teammates too!

BTW I don't think it was manufactured, Vinge looked pissed. He's not a charismatic actor and we know it! OTOH after stage 5:
Vinge: WVA saved my ass today.

Reactions: Carols
The best documentary about Jumbo was Code Yellow, aka the doc about the 2020 TdF. It was the most 'unfiltered' since it contained most of the drama which actually took place (like Niermann's use of colourful language about Pogacar on the Grand Colombier stage & Dumoulin's complete tearful breakdown in the Pyrenees). It's available here: https://nos.nl/collectie/13867/vide...r-de-schermen-bij-jumbo-visma-tijdens-de-tour

I also enjoyed Jumbo's own 2020 Vuelta documentary (available on their youtube channel, I believe).

As far as my opinion goes, the Netflix doc is a total bust & has merit only because it's Netflix & available to a large casual market (especially in North America) who might be seeing some of this stuff headlined for the first time since L.A.

I mean who gives a cr*p about Steve Chainel's melodramatic commentary about how hard cycling is? Or David Millar's little 'wisdoms'? And why is Pogacar portrayed as some sort of unassailable Ivan Drago of cycling?

My rating is a complete 'meh out of ten'.

I have a different opinion. I think the documentary presents the peleton drama well and can be interesting even to non-cycling fans (actually my mother likes it). Yeah, Pogacar is like a villain but every movie has to have one, right? He was the villain too in JV Tour 2020 documentary :p.

BTW, Roglic's introduction is stuff of legends haha. TBH they showed him way too little in the movie (i.e. his story, statements) and that's a drawback surely.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS