• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 597 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Neither of them was much better than the other one

From sports and stage racing point of view i feel that it's fair to say Roglič had a better season. As for what will be the case in the 2024 season. That is to be determined. I feel it's safe to say Roglič will want to finish the 2024 season as undisputed champion, when it comes to stage racing.

At races, such as LBL and Worlds. In my opinion Roglič can win both. He is good enough in such type of races, sometimes we forget that. On who will came on top. We'll see.

P.S. Focus in my opinion will shift a bit, from Remco to Jonas. But obviously Rogla and Remco will race against each other on multiple occasions in 2024 season too. Focus not just being on stage racing!

Reactions: Carols
From sports and stage racing point of view i feel that it's fair to say Roglič had a better season. As for what will be the case in the 2024 season. That is to be determined. I feel it's safe to say Roglič will want to finish the 2024 season as undisputed champion, when it comes to stage racing.

At races, such as LBL and Worlds. In my opinion Roglič can win both. He is good enough in such type of races, sometimes we forget that. On who will came on top. We'll see.

P.S. Focus in my opinion will shift a bit, from Remco to Jonas. But obviously Rogla and Remco will race against each other on multiple occasions in 2024 season too. Focus not just being on stage racing!
I disagree. LBL, WC ITT, NC RR and San Sebastian is more than a Giro won due to illness of the guy that won all of the above. But that’s my preference. You might prefer a GT.

I disagree. LBL, WC ITT, NC RR and San Sebastian is more than a Giro won due to illness of the guy that won all of the above. But that’s my preference. You might prefer a GT.
Insane how people are willing to give the Giro to Remco or TGH, neither of whom made it to the mountains or have proved they are consistently on the level of Roglic or G.

Also, if you’re throwing in SS, you should throw in T-A, Catalunya, and Emilia, and acknowledge that Roglic’s third in the Vuelta is a little misleading and a worthy performance.

Insane how people are willing to give the Giro to Remco or TGH, neither of whom made it to the mountains or have proved they are consistently on the level of Roglic or G.
Because we’ve seen the performance of Remco in the Vuelta of 2022, and he was in even better shape at the Giro. The fact that he can win a TT with full blown Covid says a lot really.

Reactions: scribers and Froome
WC ITT, NC RR and San Sebastian are no better than Tirreno, Catalunya, Burgos and Emilia, not to mention Vuelta and Lombardia podiums. I guess than Liege must be worth more than a Giro.

It's Giro and it was won in memorable fashion. So best if we leave this one to subjective evaluation.

Then there is more to it then that. That is we don't even have to agree or disagree about this part. As on top of that more racing happened in 2023, including the duo facing each other. The best duel, my opinion, of the 2023 season, was Catalunya. Everything was basically set, for Evenepoel to send Rogla in early retirement. Eurosport commentators even got the script. Then an absolute masterclass by Rogla happened. You have to admit that.

Also, if you’re throwing in SS, you should throw in T-A, Catalunya, and Emilia, and acknowledge that Roglic’s third in the Vuelta is a little misleading and a worthy performance.
Do you think Tao and Remco are at the same level in grand tours? You can make that argument. I would like to have seen them both healthy in the Giro last year. I'm curious to see how they do in the Tour this year and would not be surprised if they finish in consecutive places, maybe 4-5?

That aside, the one thing that Roglic does extremely well is win races. Don't underestimate that. His palmares when he retires is going to be impressive, whether or not he wins the Tour. If he can stay upright, he will almost always be in the mix for a podium in in any race he enters.

Because we’ve seen the performance of Remco in the Vuelta of 2022, and he was in even better shape at the Giro. The fact that he can win a TT with full blown Covid says a lot really.
Yep. Everyone knows he was running at an extremely high level before covid. The way he’s being relentlessly sandbag makes we want to start betting on cycling this year. I’ll take some of those odds on him at any race he shows up for

It's Giro and it was won in memorable fashion. So best if we leave this one to subjective evaluation.

Then there is more to it then that. That is we don't even have to agree or disagree about this part. As on top of that more racing happened in 2023, including the duo facing each other. The best duel, my opinion, of the 2023 season, was Catalunya. Everything was basically set, for Evenepoel to send Rogla in early retirement. Eurosport commentators even got the script. Then an absolute masterclass by Rogla happened. You have to admit that.
I never heard anything about Evenepoel sending Rogla to early retirement, some of you roglic fans have an awesome imagination.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Heijboer talking about Roglic' role in the growth of the team.

"After the 2018 Tour ITT, where he lost the podium, I thought he would be disappointed. Instead he was angry. He went off about the material, how he had the exact same setup as 2016 and how he didn't have custom handlebars like his competitors did. He didn't do his best numbers that ITT, and I don't know if he was angry at me, but I still took it to heart. We had been improving steadily, but Roglic said we needed to improve more quickly, especially as he now was at the level where he could win Grand Tours"