• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 599 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would just like for all of them to be healthy and come to Tour with 100% preparation. Jonas came to last two Tours like that and went through them without any real injuries or sickness. That means A LOT. Pog was injured and had bad preparation, Rog crashed before or during Tour every single time in last how many years, Remco needs to show up finally.

So it's really hard not to consider Jonas as a big favourite. With 100% preparation and no problems during Tour, he looks incredibly good. Not just in mountains, even in TTs. Pog comes next, but loosing the last two Tours made him reconsider everything so now he'll have Giro in his legs. Not ideal.
Roglič is older, new team and equipment. If he manages to get to Tour with 100% preparation and no injuries (big IF) and manages NOT to crash during (big IF), then he can challenge for podium spot. Winning...even more IFs.
Remco is a wild card. I hope he doesn't put himself out of a race early. He can make it interesting. More there are, more chances to put a dent into skeletor.

Regarding crashes. Here i feel that although Roglič DNF his last two Tour editions he rode, one must still take circumstances under consideration. That is it was not due to things like bad bike handling skills or similar. Hay bale and Opi & Omi is just something beyond your control. You can't train for that. With Sony it might have been possible to play hard ball. But still, Opi & Omi already did the damage. In some cases JV could have done more protecting. So Bora this one is on you now.

So the chance of Rogla crashing is in my opinion no more significant then when looking at the other favourites. The only known and reliable fact is all of them will crash at the Tour at some point in their career. That is more or less a guaranty. Beyond that you try to improve and Rogla in my opinion did that. He is great on the bike now, mitigating a guarantee that comes with the job, such as a crash. For sure one of the best in doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: acm
So does anybody have a realistic chance to beat Skeletor at the Tour? Is Primoz the only hope for rest of the world? His maiden Tour victory would be something special.

Yes.

I dont have high hopes regarding Teddy with Giro in his legs.

The time is right in my opinion, for riders attempting to achieve this. Pogi in my opinion should forget about the Tour for now. Winning Giro should be his main goal now. At the Tour he is still a type of rider that can crack riders like Jonas early. So any Giro-Tour attempt by Rogla, Pogi or Jonas should at this point in time be considered as realistic, extremely hard, but possible.

Please link to those statements made by posters, not just your own interpretations of discussions in a cycling forum.
At least in spanish coverage it was very clear that they were expecting Remco to destroy Roglic in Lo Port (not saying that they wanted it) , and in Twitter and a spanish cycling forum in wich I take part there was a decent amount of people who wrote about how he was washed or at least in a clear decline after 2022 without taking into consideration the healthy problems of Itzulia or the *** preparation for the Vuelta after being injured in Le Tour, and I assume that here it was quite similar, but of course not saying that everyone was thinking this.
In the world of cycling podcasters, journalists and formers cyclist that now works as "experts" I also read that he would never win a GT again and that he was not the same anymore.
Maybe CyclistAbi overreact a bit but is always the same with Primoz, for some part of cycling fans he always has to proof that he is still good enough while others has that consideration even before achieving things.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Maybe CyclistAlbi overreact a bit but is always the same with Primoz, for some part of cycling fans he always has to proof that he is still good enough while others has that consideration even before achieving things.

Nah, no real need for an overreaction here. You described it well, after season 2022 vultures were already circulating. Little did they know they were actually the brunch.

Even better then that, you can rewatch the stage on Eurosport. Commentators mining such details, on how Remco is putting on glasses, to look better on pictures, when he finishes it off.

Turned out it was more or less collective madness, so hard to blame them for that.

As for me linking to discussions we had before the season 2023 started. Why? No need for that. Just start reading this thread from end to start. In less than 10 posts you will already get enough clues. Now multiply that sentiment, by lets say a value in between 10 and 100. That is based on your own interpretation and based on how you see it fit.
Okay, I thought you meant in this forum. Roglic is actually very highly regarded around here, as a winner, rider and champion. Of course there will be haters, but personally I haven't seen/heard many predictions about Roglic's downfall.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
big LOL at users that think attacking and succeeding is a matter of "choice", "style", "panache" or whatever. @VayaVayaVaya post lays down the line.

Just go for your 40km-60km-100km Sunday ride and try to attack on a last steep climb before the shower. Sometimes you're dead or just don't have it. Although you have the will, legs put you down to the ground. Will submits itself to what is physically possible.

Reactions: acm
Can't wait for 2024 Tour when Remco implodes Vuelta style on stage 14 on Tourmalet or some random hill with a random illness.
Remco fans can also say that they can't wait until Roglic crashes again in the Tour, and leave the race again.

I hope there's no crashes or incidents to anybody, unfortunately something always happens to someone. We couldn't saw nibali, froome, quintana, contador fighting in the Tour, because of that.

Remco fans can also say that they can't wait until Roglic crashes again in the Tour, and leave the race again.

I hope there's no crashes or incidents to anybody, unfortunately something always happens to someone. We couldn't saw nibali, froome, quintana, contador fighting in the Tour, because of that.
Crashes, illnesses etc. is part of the sport.
Whataboutism doesn't work.

What's your thoughts on the Roglic programme Rachkam?? I think it's pretty bad. He should try for fleche wallonne at least. Even Vingegard is doing more cool races.

He's focused on one goal. It's the goal which motivates him. Stage racing is also what he does best as well so I reckon it makes sense.

Personally I'm happy with it. The same article also says Hindley will be part of the TdF team, i.e. something I also wanted as well.

I'm looking forward to the season tbh.

Crashes, illnesses etc. is part of the sport.
Whataboutism doesn't work.
It's part of the sport, but we don't want that, because it's bad for the fans due to less entertainment.
Is it too much to ask someone to compose a table which of the four suspects racing same stage race?
The four will just be together in the Tour.

Dauphine
Remco, roglic, Vingegaard

Iztulia
Roglic, Vingegaard, Remco is not certain but there's a strong possibilty he goes there because i don’t see what other race he can do between Paris Nice and liege bastogne liege.

Paris nice
Remco, roglic

TA
Vingegaard

Vuelta Catalunya
 Pogacar

Dauphiné instead of Suisse is a good choice, not riding Flèche and Liège is a shame but understandable.

Several battles against Vingegård and Remco. Hope that all three will remain healthy in order to have some nice battles.

It's about working on communication & togetherness with his new teammates as well in stage race conditions before the TdF.

I get some people are disappointed there will be no Flèche in particular, but it's easy to see the logic behind this leaked race schedule.

4 stage races, 3 in France. Now he just needs to do what he does best.

Reactions: acm and KZD