• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 600 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nothing is official yet but i like the tilt toward stage racing. So first race against Remco, challenging TTT involved for sure, then to face Jonas in Spain, then facing both Jonas and Remco before the Tour. At the Tour Pogi gets involved.

Good taste you have there Rogla! Proper, balanced and a healthy meal.

Reactions: sevenall
Yes indeed, objective. Especially compared to the many subjective reactions (from Roglic fans?). Roglic has had years to win the Tour. Setbacks (illness, crashes) of opponents are hardly taken into account. But if Roglic does not win a grand tour, it is always the fault of less than ideal preparation. Stay serious for a moment. Hopefully there won't be any hindrance for Roglic for the next Tour, so we can see that he will be clearly defeated then too.
Go troll somewhere else

I can't believe how Remco's fans or Roglic hate is so sour even after six months. You guys need some therapy on how resentful you are.
To be fair, if the seasons for Evenepoel and Roglic were reversed there’d be the same discussion going on between the two groups.

In regards to Roglic’s schedule I wonder if he’ll start off slow and build up to CDD and Tour form or come out swinging. I think he’ll have to surpass the level he showed at the Vuelta if Vinge is the same or better than this years Tour. Just hope no one gets hurt.

Then for TdS next year, it’s not guaranteed that he wins next year but I think we can all agree he’d trade winning TdS this year for TdF.

Last edited:
To be fair, if the seasons for Evenepoel and Roglic were reversed there’d be the same discussion going on between the two groups.

In regards to Roglic’s schedule I wonder if he’ll start off slow and build up to CDD and Tour form or come out swinging. I think he’ll have to surpass the level he showed at the Vuelta if Vinge is the same or better than this years Tour. Just hope no one gets hurt.

Then for TdS next year, it’s not guaranteed that he wins next year but I think we can all agree he’d trade winning TdS this year for TdF.
Roglic has proved time and again that at the moment he's a better stage racer than Remco. His palmares says so despite all the nasty crashes that prevented around four podiums.

I concede that under certain TT conditions and one day races specially fitted to his skils, Remco is a powerhouse, perhaps with noone above him. The problem is on how newcomers and fans to the sport overjudge some qualities to be proof of a destiny in GTs or one week stage races.

As for the Roglic's season, I hope above all that no one crashes and that we get to see the beasts going against each other.

Rogla is always in form from a get go. Both he and Pog are fast starters, they dont need races to hit a good form. I am sure he will be a contender in all stage races but they will surely try to build the peak of all peaks for July.

Bora has has many riders that can do well at Fleche and LBL, despite Roglic or not, so it makes sense to give those riders the chance there.

They will have a good team for those races with or without Roglic.

He has also won LBL, so he doesnt "need" to win it. It is the Tour he wants, so it is what he should go all in to win.
yeah true. There are some discussions that maybe it's best to do like Vingegaard and take a break from racing before the start of the Ardennes or in general keeping a focus on stage races will make you better at stage racing.

Classic, Monument, workds vs Giro.
Rogla didn't even contest them
Of course. That's why you can't compare Roglic with Pogacar, Evenepoel, Van Aert, VDP. Just like Vingegaard, he only rides stage races these days. And in the (far) past sometimes one or two big one-day matches. He will do the same (no one-day races) the upcoming season. As a result, he is always much fresher in a GT than riders such as Pogacar, Evenepoel, Van Aert and VDP. Nevertheless, his 2023 level was not great during the Giro (covid Evenepoel and winning only with seconds from the old Thomas) and Vuelta (third).

Of course. That's why you can't compare Roglic with Pogacar, Evenepoel, Van Aert, VDP. Just like Vingegaard, he only rides stage races these days. And in the (far) past sometimes one or two big one-day matches. He will do the same (no one-day races) the upcoming season. As a result, he is always much fresher in a GT than riders such as Pogacar, Evenepoel, Van Aert and VDP. Nevertheless, his 2023 level was not great during the Giro (covid Evenepoel and winning only with seconds from the old Thomas) and Vuelta (third).
Remco hasn't finished ahead of Rogla, Teddy, Vinge and Thomas in a GT GC.
MvDP and WvA aren't GC riders.

So Roglic didn't do any one day races in 23? I must be getting old.

Reactions: acm
Roglič won Catalunya due to the arrogance of Remco. Roglič won Giro because Remco had covid. Man, we're living in a Remco world!:screamcat:
Do you even remember how Catalunya? Both riders barely were able to make a dent into each other, and it was a seconds game for the win.

Stage 1
Roglic won, Evenepoel 2nd, while Evenepoel rode the fastest sprint and came from far back.

Stage 2
Evenepoel attacked multiple times, wasn't able to drop Roglic and Ciccone. Evenepoel kept pulling those two up the mountain, no one helping, to eventually see Ciccone win, Roglic 2nd.
I would already call this dumb and arrogant of Evenepoel

Stage 3
Evenepoel attacked but wasn't able to drop Roglic, but everyone else was behind. Eventually in the last hundreds of meters Evenepoel was able to drop Roglic, and started cheering 20-30m before finish costing him multiple seconds.
I call this dumb and arrogant again.

Stage 4
Bunch sprint

Stage 5
Remco starts with attacking, but eventually Roglic finally does the same too. Stopped sitting in the wheel and tried to drop Remco, failed. Then at 300m before the finish Evenepoel already launches his sprint, he's already fading after 150m while Roglic was happy with someone being his leadout. In the last 50m, Roglic stomps on Evenepoel, and takes 5-6s.
It isn't the first time that Evenepoel overestimated himself in the last hundreds of meters of a mountain finish. Started way too soon, and collapsed very quickly. Arrogant of him.

Stage 6
Small bunch sprint

Stage 7
Evenepoel kept trying to drop Roglic, but wasn't able to. Remco eventually won the sprint, but Roglic didn't put much effort in it since he already won the tour by 6s.

So yeah overall I would say that Roglic won Catalunya due to being more mature, and Remco being arrogant overestimating his own abilities. Remco could've won this by purely sprinting to the finish in stage 3, and waiting a bit longer on stage 5.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Do you even remember how Catalunya? Both riders barely were able to make a dent into each other, and it was a seconds game for the win.

Stage 1
Roglic won, Evenepoel 2nd, while Evenepoel rode the fastest sprint and came from far back.

Stage 2
Evenepoel attacked multiple times, wasn't able to drop Roglic and Ciccone. Evenepoel kept pulling those two up the mountain, no one helping, to eventually see Ciccone win, Roglic 2nd.

Stage 3
Evenepoel attacked but wasn't able to drop Roglic, but everyone else was behind. Eventually in the last hundreds of meters Evenepoel was able to drop Roglic, and started cheering 20-30m before finish costing him multiple seconds.

Stage 4
Bunch sprint

Stage 5
Remco starts with attacking, but eventually Roglic finally does the same too. Stopped sitting in the wheel and tried to drop Remco, failed. Then at 300m before the finish Evenepoel already launches his sprint, he's already fading after 150m while Roglic was happy with someone being his leadout. In the last 50m, Roglic stomps on Evenepoel, and takes 5-6s.
It isn't the first time that Evenepoel overestimated himself in the last hundreds of meters of a mountain finish. Started way too soon, and collapsed very quickly. Arrogant of him.

Stage 6
Small bunch sprint

Stage 7
Evenepoel kept trying to drop Roglic, but wasn't able to. Remco eventually won the sprint, but Roglic didn't put much effort in it since he already won the tour by 6s.

So yeah overall I would say that Roglic won Catalunya due to being more mature, and Remco being arrogant overestimating his own abilities. Remco could've won this by purely sprinting to the finish in stage 3, and waiting a bit longer on stage 5.
So Remco lost?

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4
Bunch sprint

Stage 5

Stage 6
Small bunch sprint

Stage 7

Lo Port didn't happen the way you describe it, i.e. Rog baited Evenepoel with a couple of dummy attacks. He wanted him to launch too early:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTXVx3MELn8

Rog's only real attack was the final counter up to the line.