• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 649 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I see, now you will claim JV only raced full gas with Jonas, like if they had some sort of switch. And i guess, on all other races, they were preparing Rogla to stomp, by keeping competition fresh?

Ajajajaj.
Let's take a example.

Do you remind the stage of Tourmalet in the Tour of last year? Do you think Visma would make the race hard in the Tourmalet for a a Roglic attack? They would never do with Roglic what they did on that stage.

If Roglic was the leader, Visma would take it easy on Tourmalet, and then just make the race hard on Cauterets, for Roglic making the famous stomp in the steep final part.

Reactions: Cassirer
I don't read any of these arguments anymore, i.e. Roglič has a date with destiny (providence?) in July, aka where he'll roll the dice & give it everything he's got. Maybe it'll have a fairy-tale finale, maybe not.

But I'm pretty sure small arguments about his preferred racing style, tactics or his own physical capabilities no longer matter at all. I mean who cares what Vingegaard can or cannot do better than him, it's immaterial.

Rog has one job to do & he's going to do it, come what may. And as leader of Red Bull Bora hansgrohe in France this summer, he'll have the freedom to choose which stages he follows on versus the stages he attacks on.

Could be but then again if you are telling me you don't have your Jonas freak on, i don't buy that either. All in all JV raced very similar having Rogla or Jonas as a leader. What was different is they launched Jonas a bit sooner up the climb. The rest was always about attrition in regards to competition.

So next time Visma can do that and Bora can set up Rogla for a stomp. I don't see on why should Bora be like look Rogla, go alone, if he prefers to stomp. Jonas and Visma can do whatever they prefer to do too. It's not like JV was prepared to use up Jonas any more, to further apply pressure, setting Rogla up for the stomp. Now, when Rogla is at Bora, Visma again could be prepared to do that. In the end that works for everyone.
I want anyone but Vingegaard to win every race he enters, so no I don’t have my “freak on” for him. I just see how great he rides and is better than the others at 100%. If you think the team rode similar for them when they were sole leaders then I don’t know what races you were watching. Visma made the race hard every single day from the start with Vingegaard, they rode a nice gentle tempo and rode hard at the final climb with Roglic. They’re not comparable.

Nor do I think Visma will ride like 2022 and 2023 if Vingegaard isn’t at 100% otherwise they run the risk of burning him out with his suboptimal prep. If they do ride like that, Roglic/Bora and everyone else is going to lose time from the repeated attrition Visma will cause.

Reactions: Sandisfan
About sprints... I think it's pretty obvious right now Pogi has the better sprint on the flat. But when the road goes uphill I think Rogla has shown he is better than Pogačar. Although Pogi will still beat him in the future in some uphill sprints I'm sure.

Let's say on the flat it's Pogi 75:25.
Uphill sprint it's Rogla 60:40.

Reactions: Sandisfan and acm
About sprints... I think it's pretty obvious right now Pogi has the better sprint on the flat. But when the road goes uphill I think Rogla has shown he is better than Pogačar. Although Pogi will still beat him in the future in some uphill sprints I'm sure.

Let's say on the flat it's Pogi 75:25.
Uphill sprint it's Rogla 60:40.
I think depends on the distance Roglic launches the attack in a uphill sprint.
If he launches the attack on the uphill sprint at 500 m from the finish line, i don't believe Pogacar can beat him. If he launches the attack more later like in the last 100 m, Pogacar has more chances.

@Rackham

Still, Rogla won't be mandated, to sit back and wait, when Visma will be setting Jonas up for an attack and when Jonas will be attacking ... So if Jonas is really that superior, to Rogla, then OK, nothing one can do about it. If not, then Jonas will get stomped. No big deal if you ask me.

Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives. There are no exceptions.
Just like in the Tour, Vingegaard will not wait anymore for Roglic, like he waited on plateau de solaison.

I
I want anyone but Vingegaard to win every race he enters, so no I don’t have my “freak on” for him. I just see how great he rides and is better than the others at 100%. If you think the team rode similar for them when they were sole leaders then I don’t know what races you were watching. Visma made the race hard every single day from the start with Vingegaard, they rode a nice gentle tempo and rode hard at the final climb with Roglic. They’re not comparable.

Nor do I think Visma will ride like 2022 and 2023 if Vingegaard isn’t at 100% otherwise they run the risk of burning him out with his suboptimal prep. If they do ride like that, Roglic/Bora and everyone else is going to lose time from the repeated attrition Visma will cause.
The question is - can Visma ride like 2022 and 2023. I don’t think this year they’ll have enough firepower.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
They will have more firepower than last year because Jorgenson is great, and probably WVA will be there.
We are not talking about climbing firepower here - though even Jorgenson will have to match Kuss from 2023 which won’t be a simple task. But when talking about attrition, we are talking making the race hard every day, especially on the flat. They need an army of top shape rolleurs, which I don’t think they’ll have…

Reactions: SHAD0W93
We are not talking about climbing firepower here - though even Jorgenson will have to match Kuss from 2023 which won’t be a simple task. But when talking about attrition, we are talking making the race hard every day, especially on the flat. They need an army of top shape rolleurs, which I don’t think they’ll have
That's it, and that's why i talked about Van aert who will be there and will probably play an important role on that area. Jorgenson can also do that very well, but probably he will be the third man in the mountains after Kuss.

They also will go with Van baarle, Benoot, Laporte or Tratnik. A lot of good rolleurs. Kruijswijk was also doing a good job already on Catalunya.

They will miss Van Hooydonck but for protect Vingegaard in the flat stages.

I'm a Rogla fan but i do think Vinge and Pog are better in full 3 week GT race. Everybody 100%, Rogla should be 3rd i think. But in cycling no one is always 100%. And there is this nagging feeling Rogla wasn't 100% for a very long time through a 3 week GT race. If he could get to a TdF with 100% preparation and gets through it 100% (no crashes, sickness,..) with full team support, he could challenge for the win. I think he can find something extra, that he wasn't able to until now because he constantly gets himself in trouble.

There are many if's here.

Of course if he gets to Tour 100% and gets destroyed quick, then he'll need to pick his battles going forward.