• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 675 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The only way I see Rog getting adventurous is if he needs to gain serious time. The way I see it, every day Rog holds Pog's wheel it'll be a victory in & of itself. Starting on Saturday. The moments when Pog launches it throughout the Tour (which he will... a lot) will be high stress situations, i.e. with a loaded gun aimed at Rog in the form of "if you can't hold this wheel, you lose the Tour".

So I don't think it's a stretch to say Rog's path to victory features two main components in a very basic strategy:

- hold Pog's wheel in the mountains
- beat Pog in the ITT's (namely the last one).

Failure to achieve either will pretty much guarantee a failure in GC, i.e. with every other path to victory becoming & more & more fantastical i.e. like relying on unpredictable race moments or tactical coups to get a lead against a stronger rider. Aka the sort of stuff which is very difficult to plan for.
We agree on those counts. Unfortunately he'll likely need more time than what he'll get in the last TT. This Tour shouldn't be decided by the Lemond benchmark.

The only way I see Rog getting adventurous is if he needs to gain serious time. The way I see it, every day Rog holds Pog's wheel it'll be a victory in & of itself. Starting on Saturday. The moments when Pog launches it throughout the Tour (which he will... a lot) will be high stress situations, i.e. with a loaded gun aimed at Rog in the form of "if you can't hold this wheel, you lose the Tour".

So I don't think it's a stretch to say Rog's path to victory features two main components in a very basic strategy:

- hold Pog's wheel in the mountains
- beat Pog in the ITT's (namely the last one).

Failure to achieve either will pretty much guarantee a failure in GC, i.e. with every other path to victory becoming & more & more fantastical i.e. like relying on unpredictable race moments or tactical coups to get a lead against a stronger rider. Aka the sort of stuff which is very difficult to plan for.
indeed. I'd argue that if he is going to get adventurous he would even need different components. If Rogla isn't strong enough* to achieve your two goals, he probably isn't strong enough to get adventurous either, especially with the final stage being a hard, long-ish ITT.

So maybe if Pogi starts fading in final week or something like that, but even then Rogla will just get his team to put the hammer down(or even better let Lisa Bike do it) and hope Pogi cracks.

*or if Pogi is so strong that the two goals cannot be achieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rackham
indeed. I'd argue that if he is going to get adventurous he would even need different components. If Rogla isn't strong enough* to achieve your two goals, he probably isn't strong enough to get adventurous either, especially with the final stage being a hard, long-ish ITT.

So maybe if Pogi starts fading in final week or something like that, but even then Rogla will just get his team to put the hammer down(or even better let Lisa Bike op it) and hope Pogi cracks.

*or is Pogi is so strong that the two goals cannot be achieved.

I think there's also a point in the Tour where the vibes need to be right.

This goes beyond tactics or merely legs, i.e. Rog & Bora need to be in the zone & not on the backfoot constantly. I think these races tend to unravel real fast when there's a series of mishaps, i.e. an accumulative amount of sh*t basically which eventually results in something horrible.

The heybale for example wasn't an isolated incident: Van Aert had crashed (minor, but still a crash), Vingegaard had his famous mechanical & Rog was left with only Laporte in the main group of favorites. But even prior to that stage, Rog had already been dropped by his own team when Van Aert won the Calais stage. So it already felt like the Tour 2022 was going wrong.

Same with 2021: Opi Omi, then 2 days later on stage 3 Gesink DNF's & Tony Martin is dropped after being taken out by a bizarre G Thomas crash. The final 20km of the stage is fast & dangerous whilst Rog is missing his bodyguards. Kaboom, Colbrelli happens.

So Red Bull Bora needs to start well on Saturday. I hope the heat helps in that regard (it's going to be 35 Celsius in Florence).

Reactions: Peter von and acm
Boss

primoz-roglic-team-launch

He's aiming for victory:

My own pre-Tour hype-o-meter says I think he's got some decent form going into this Tour. I think he should enjoy the hot weather at the weekend as well (for as long as it lasts).

He's aiming for victory:

My own pre-Tour hype-o-meter says I think he's got some decent form going into this Tour. I think he should enjoy the hot weather at the weekend as well (for as long as it lasts).
Of course he is aiming for victory, he is a champion. It's what he does. Unlike some favourite belgian son who is aiming for a top 5. A generational talent...

Of course he is aiming for victory, he is a champion. It's what he does. Unlike some favourite belgian son who is aiming for a top 5. A generational talent...
And what were Primoz's prospects in his first Tour? Then he came 38th in 2017, no, followed by 4th in 2018, then 2nd in 2020. So I can't see how Remco can go into his first Tour, and in this generation, stating more at the outset.

Reactions: Berniece
And what were Primoz's prospects in his first Tour? Then he came 38th in 2017, no, followed by 4th in 2018, then 2nd in 2020. So I can't see how Remco can go into his first Tour, and in this generation, stating more at the outset.
Rogla going into his first Tour had only one Volta ao Algarve victory, Remco has three already. That's a big difference...