• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
malakassis said:
congrats to fabio! and astana.thx landa who has given his everything today. this changed my mind on him.
i hope he keeps it tranquillo. italian media can put enormous pressure and want him to be a new pantani. i hope hes smart enough to stay on earth.
Before the ITT there was in interview with him in La Gazzetta, he said that he always had to deal with high expectations, even before he turned pro, the only exception was the 2013 Giro.
He also said that he's almost never really satisfied with his performances, even if he wins a stage, he always thinks that he could have done something better.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Mayomaniac said:
malakassis said:
congrats to fabio! and astana.thx landa who has given his everything today. this changed my mind on him.
i hope he keeps it tranquillo. italian media can put enormous pressure and want him to be a new pantani. i hope hes smart enough to stay on earth.
Before the ITT there was in interview with him in La Gazzetta, he said that he always had to deal with high expectations, even before he turned pro, the only exception was the 2013 Giro.
He also said that he's almost never really satisfied with his performances, even if he wins a stage, he always thinks that he could have done something better.

wow, thats new to me. to me he seems a bit shy and very modest or just happy with the status quo. i dindt know about his perfectionist attitude - this can be a huge drive. he already has awesome GT palmares for just 25ys

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
...on the other hand, why not show him the tour? fassa bortolo took basso with 24 years in the 2002 tour. he won the white jersey. as quintana next year will be 26 aru could go for white.

Re:

malakassis said:
...on the other hand, why not show him the tour? fassa bortolo took basso with 24 years in the 2002 tour. he won the white jersey. as quintana next year will be 26 aru could go for white.

Aru is from the same year of Quintana (1990), he won't be eligible for young rider classification next year.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
congrats to Fabio. Finally he won his first GT. No offence to Dumoulin, but I would rather see rider like Aru won the mountainous vuelta. Enough with the Wiggins type rider.. again no offense. Just happy to see a searing long range attack in the mountain instead of padding time in ITT. If he is going to be a contender for Giro and tour, he'd better work with his ITT. Chapeau Astana and Fabio!!

Congrats, great win. Best and certainly most consistent climber in the race. All the other ones had at least one bad day. I wonder how he'd do against the top guys, but that's probably a question for another day.

Anyway, great year, 2nd and a win in GTs, two stages. What's next, the Italian autumn races?

Krzysztof_O said:
He reminds me of Nibali who in 2010 also won Vuelta and had Giro podium before. But you never know how his career will go - for sure he's one of the best climbers of new generation.
I feel like Aru in 5 years time will have all 3 GTs. Nibali managed so late because he didn't wim the Giro until 2013, whereas I feel it would've have been better for him to do the Giro 2012 and stronk it, before doing he Tour 2013+2014 and winning one of the two, before focusing on classics . 2012 tour was a mistake palmares wise as he had no chance at all to win it.

If Aru goes to the Tour next year then he can attempt to top 5 or podium, then return to the Giro 2017 when he or Quintana will be the favourite. I feel that the next gen of GC riders will be Quintana vs Aru and Bardet, Pinot, Majka and maybe Formolo/Chaves/Dumoulin trying to beat them and occasionally doing so.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Astana masterclass.
Aru is all excitement on TV, great to watch, and nothing tops it off as wonderfully as seeing tears of joy in the end.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Well done to Fabio, strongest in the race so a deserved win. Plus I love his pain faces! They make me laugh :D

He certainly doesnt have the same cool painface as Purito has :)

He really makes awful painfaces, but that's ok. He doesnt mind doing that when he goes deep into the red infront of millions watching on the tele and he rightfully shouldnt give a rats*ss about it.

Great Vuelta for Aru. Deserved victory. Well done Aru!