• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
lenric said:
He finished Dauphine 40 minutes behind Froome. At this pace, I believe he will find the speed in his legs circa July 2017 :eek:

Haha.

But lets not forget Nibali looked AS bad in Trentino relative to the competition. Aru's prologue wasn't that bad and he has some kind of shape when he was able to hold off the peloton like that, but its somewhat worrying. I believe in Astana and their 'weird' methods

Let's talk only about Le Tour, Nibali started to do this in 2014 and it worked. Last year he was waaaay better than Aru this year in Dauphine and he was bad in Le Tour until the last week. Aru is doing this monster super peak preparation for the first time, the outcome is yet unknown. The way he looks now I'd say it is worrying.

Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:
lenric said:
He finished Dauphine 40 minutes behind Froome. At this pace, I believe he will find the speed in his legs circa July 2017 :eek:

Haha.

But lets not forget Nibali looked AS bad in Trentino relative to the competition. Aru's prologue wasn't that bad and he has some kind of shape when he was able to hold off the peloton like that, but its somewhat worrying. I believe in Astana and their 'weird' methods

Let's talk only about Le Tour, Nibali started to do this in 2014 and it worked. Last year he was waaaay better than Aru this year in Dauphine and he was bad in Le Tour until the last week. Aru is doing this monster super peak preparation for the first time, the outcome is yet unknown. The way he looks now I'd say it is worrying.

I doubt 2 years ago Nibali finished more than 30 minutes behind Talansky :rolleyes:
And bear in mind that the same training methods may not get the same results in different organisms.

lenric said:
Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:
lenric said:

Haha.

I doubt 2 years ago Nibali finished more than 30 minutes behind Talansky :rolleyes:
And bear in mind that the same training methods may not get the same results in different organisms.

I was saying the same approach not the same results, 2014 Nibali finished above Froome in Dauphine.

Aru said that he was just getting rhythm is his legs at CdD. I'd like to point out that the guys who will be dropping him in July were racing at CdD and TdS. Certainly finding a balance between race fitness and being fresh is a fine line, but you have to do battle to be ready for battle. Rhythm is great, but you have to be prepared for the rhythm at the front. Plus, if you haven't prepared mentally to break on through to the other side (sorry Jim Morrison) it will be tough to do it when the guys who have already done it hammer away.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Aru said that he was just getting rhythm is his legs at CdD. I'd like to point out that the guys who will be dropping him in July were racing at CdD and TdS. Certainly finding a balance between race fitness and being fresh is a fine line, but you have to do battle to be ready for battle. Rhythm is great, but you have to be prepared for the rhythm at the front. Plus, if you haven't prepared mentally to break on through to the other side (sorry Jim Morrison) it will be tough to do it when the guys who have already done it hammer away.

Astana seem to be good at getting form right at the last minute though. I'd say Aru will be fine for the Tour. He'll be up there with the best of the rest just behind the big 3.

Looking forward to what can Aru do in the mountains. Seems to be in a very good shape. I hope that he will ride like he has done in the past and won't be extremely conservative.
I really think that he is almost up there with the 3 best and can compete with them.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
The Zubeldia of the Tour so far. Almost up there but invisible.

Doesn't seem 100%, but I could be wrong.
He sai that the Tour will be won in the Alpes and Martineli expects all the guys who have ridden the Giro to improve duurning the race (they haven't really raced since the Giro).
Aru and Astana will attack in the Alpes, right now it's mostly about following Froome and Qintana.

After stage 2 we could tell it was an in form Aru. The last 4 stages Astana will create hell if he is within 3-4 minutes. May as well. He'll lose time tomorrow, probably not that much and more during the TT and Mont Ventoux. For the MTT he should be less than 3 minutes behind IMO. Maybe 4 if things go worse.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
He couldn't respond to the little digs of Froome, Henao, Bardet ect on the final climb. Maybe he was just riding his own tempo but if there would have been a bigger attack Infront he'd have been dropped. Let's see how he goes later on Arcalis.

That might have been a tactic to conserve energy on the climb with Arcalis the following day, because based on the dauphine, he would most likely have been able to catch the favourites on the descent.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
He couldn't respond to the little digs of Froome, Henao, Bardet ect on the final climb. Maybe he was just riding his own tempo but if there would have been a bigger attack Infront he'd have been dropped. Let's see how he goes later on Arcalis.

To me it seemed more of a bad positioning thing. He seemed to be far back in the main peloton when attacks started.

RattaKuningas said:
Pricey_sky said:

To me it seemed more of a bad positioning thing. He seemed to be far back in the main peloton when attacks started.

Bad position is one thing but he probably did not have legs to respond properly, but he need to limit loses in pyrenees to attack in Alps that is OK for now he is going great, we will see today in Andora anything up to minute of lose is OK under 30s perfect

TRENDING THREADS