• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Fabio Aru discussion thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ouch. Ofc he had a disadvantage compared to froome with an incredibly weak team but that must not be an excuse for losing 25 seconds. Even contador who nowadays is horrible on finishes like this finished in front of him and he doesn't even care about gc that much anymore

Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
deValtos said:
Matteo. said:
It was his fault, he has just said.

What did he say? Did he say it's bad legs or was just bad positioning?
Bad positioning. And in these cases you pay the bill. He did a terrible mistake and gave 25s away

Valgren in a TV interview (US) stating he tried to pull him to the front but Aru couldn't hold his wheel. When told Aru had lost the Jersey his response was "Good".

Re: Re:

cantpedal said:
Matteo. said:
deValtos said:
Matteo. said:
It was his fault, he has just said.

What did he say? Did he say it's bad legs or was just bad positioning?
Bad positioning. And in these cases you pay the bill. He did a terrible mistake and gave 25s away

Valgren in a TV interview (US) stating he tried to pull him to the front but Aru couldn't hold his wheel. When told Aru had lost the Jersey his response was "Good".
He has a point. If he were two to five seconds behind it would be perfect, although 18 is a bit too much.

I don't think it's a case of bad legs. Aru's never been very good in positioning and you can easily lose 20 seconds when you start the last wall 100 meters behind. All GC riders who struggle with positioning lost time yesterday, can't be a coincidence.

I do believe it's better not to have the jersey. Let Sky control the race, Landa will be on a short leash from now on, and Aru doesn't have to worry about other riders attacking. If he's better than Froome uphill these 20 seconds won't matter much.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I don't think it's a case of bad legs. Aru's never been very good in positioning and you can easily lose 20 seconds when you start the last wall 100 meters behind. All GC riders who struggle with positioning lost time yesterday, can't be a coincidence.

I do believe it's better not to have the jersey. Let Sky control the race, Landa will be on a short leash from now on, and Aru doesn't have to worry about other riders attacking. If he's better than Froome uphill these 20 seconds won't matter much.
Except there's still a time trial to come and his buffer should be as big as possible, at least a minute IMO. I agree that it's good for them that they don't have to control the race, but losing 24 seconds is just a waste.

Without surprises today, on the galibier you have to attack convinced.
He and bardet must try (allowing legs) because they need 1.30 to stay safe.And it's not a little
about uran I have no great claims: he can rightly be content with a prestigious podium after 3 years of oblivion. Reasoning that does not apply to the other two: one has already won a GT (plus other podiums) the other is already finished second in class last year.
Because a fact is now clear and accurate: froome is the strongest and most complete, but uphill does not make the difference as it once was, looking ''normal''. we had already seen last year.
And with these premise these two must try, and if it does end there is no shame.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
I think today we'll see if it was just bad positioning or if something is wrong.
As you have anticipated, he is fading.
For me, he got into shape too early, at dauphine he was already too strong. Perhaps the fact of having skipped the Giro has ruined the plans for the form peaks

TRENDING THREADS