• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

fantasy doping draft

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Are you sure you're not talking about a guy that's already been picked? Maybe by burning?

I mean, not many people fit the clues you've dropped so far:
90s
Climber, not time-trialer
Won the TdF's best climber jersey
2nd in the TdF GC
Epic lone breakway in the Alps
Smaller than Andy

Guys who fit the bill: Chiappucci (ruled out by Hitch), Virenque (not available), and ???

I'm sure hrotha my friend, I'm sure. And when you see the answer, there's not a single one of those you will be able to look at and say "that's not true".

Of course, the whole thing was designed from the beginning to make y'all think its the guy with Alliteration for first and second name. I deliberately selected every word.

But you didn't really think I would go to all that trouble to make a "guess this" profile, and make it that easy. Come one ;)

Libertine is next to pick and he's not here yet (if he was i'm sure he'd be offering his own ideas).

And as far as I'm concerned we have the finest cycling minds in the world gathered here on this thread. So I urge y'all to have a read through my posts again (the one to netserk also had a clue) and reconsider ;)

I'll give another clue later if you still can't which should make it easier.

All 2nd places in the TdF in the 90's except Diablo has been picked. All KOM winners from the 90's has been picked except Diablo, Rinero and Claveyrolat. If you thought Rominger hadn't been picked, it could be him.

edit: Chava doesn't make sense. No epic stage win in the Alpes.

Chava won the Classique des Alpes! Kidding.

There's another candidate. Rode in the 90s, but only a couple of years; he turned pro in 1998. While he could time-trial somewhat decently, and he defended a GT victory by time-trialing better than expected, he was no time-trialer. He won the Vuelta mountains classification, but again, I don't think the jersey had polka dots yet. He came 2nd in the Vuelta GC, but not in the same year as he won the mountains classification. His most famous victory was in the most famous cycling mountain in the Alpes, but that wasn't that long or epic (he went early but in the last climb). He was smaller than Andy alright.

There's some loose ends and bits that depend on how you interpret what Hitch said, but with some leeway it could fit.

He might just be translating "Vuelta" there. He already admitted to being deliberately obtuse with his wording. :D

Besides, we already know a straight reading of the clues doesn't give us any candidates.
edit: there you are, going for creative interpretations. That's better!
edit 2: in fact, it's entirely possible that he didn't win the mountains classification, just put on the jersey after one particular stage.

Re:

hrotha said:
Chava won the Classique des Alpes! Kidding.

There's another candidate. Rode in the 90s, but only a couple of years; he turned pro in 1998. While he could time-trial somewhat decently, and he defended a GT victory by time-trialing better than expected, he was no time-trialer. He won the Vuelta mountains classification, but again, I don't think the jersey had polka dots yet. He came 2nd in the Vuelta GC, but not in the same year as he won the mountains classification. His most famous victory was in the most famous cycling mountain in the Alpes, but that wasn't that long or epic (he went early but in the last climb). He was smaller than Andy alright.

There's some loose ends and bits that depend on how you interpret what Hitch said, but with some leeway it could fit.

Come on, if I am thinking of the same rider, that rider is no way from the 90s, yes his career might have started there but no way is he identified with the 90's. Unless you want to call the rider he beat also from the 90s as well because he was picked by Liggett as being a future tour winner in the late 90s.

I think the most important clue is epic solo win in the Alpes. Not many ways to interpret that.

I think it has to be about a Giro stage win in the Alpes. Otherwise it's about a French WC, but I just don't see it.

The clues so far:

his name has been discussed a bit in the clinic
90's
knows what it feels like to come 2nd
was able to compensate with polkas
is the quintessential climber
most famous victory was also an epic lone breakaway in the Alpes
is smaller and from a different generation (than Horseface)
Tour de France version
2nd in the Tour to one of the most dominant riders ever wasn't fast enough?

I'm proud of y'all. Your doing well. Your both right to search for leeway in the things I said. If you just take a set of rigid rules that hrotha outlined in one of his posts, you won't look at the right riders. I don't think you guys are that far away. Just one major breakthrough and youll get there. There was a subtle hint to the rider in my post, you'll see it once you know the rider, but maybe too subtle right now to notice.

Since technically, you didn't mention the rider being active in the 1990's (or maybe you did, I lost it somewhere among the posts), I'm going with a rider born in 1990, who's the quintessential climber, finished 2nd in Le Tour to a dominant rider, and won the polkadots. I might have missed a vital hint somewhere, but that's my bet.

With the 29th pick of the 2015 draft, The Hitch selects Nairo Quintana of Movistar Telefonica. 

nairo_quintana2.jpg

He may not be as obvious a doper as some riders so far (like the old Italian for some weird reason y'all thought I was referring to), some may even believe he is clean (not many on here probably). But this quintessential climber (why on earth would anyone use that word in an otherwise poorly written post ;) ) is the youngest rider selected in the draft and the first rider from 1990's ;)

He may be best remembered for his epic stage win in the Italian alpes (I thought about maybe playing with the fact that the 2011 galibier stage started in italy and diabolo won in sestrieres) when he attacked on stelvio, but it is the 2013 version when he came 2nd in the tour to one of the most dominant riders of the era and also grabbed the polkas (should have said kom just to *** with y'all a little) that I am taking.

He's kind of like Andy schleck but smaller and from a different generation (the aicar generation not the cera generation)

He is the first rider I am taking not from the noughties, so it's not an all noughties team, but still a post 2000 team ;)

I am taking him because while I considered the two recently retired climbers both of whom also know what it's like to finish 2nd in the tour, this guy was faster than both on ventoux and not very far off the other guy on alpe on a very hard stage+ he also had a very good semnoz and not bad peyresoudes. Great in the third week and will do early attacks for his team leader.

Ps I never break my principles ;)

Round 1

Pick 1: Libertine Seguros - Miguel Indurain ('95 Tour)
Pick 2: The Hitch - Lance Armstrong ('04 Tour)
Pick 3: The Sceptic - Jan Ullrich ('97 Tour)
Pick 4: The Green Monkey - Alberto Contador ('09 Tour)
Pick 5: zlev11 - Marco Pantani ('99 Giro)
Pick 6: burning - Bjarne Riis ('96 Tour)
Pick 7: Netserk - Ivan Basso ('06 Giro)
Pick 8: Zam Olyas - Gianni Bugno ('90 Giro)
Pick 9: Tonton - Evgeni Berzin ('94 Giro)
Pick 10: Ciranda - Roberto Heras ('04 Vuelta)

Round 2

Pick 11: Ciranda - Tyler Hamilton ('03 Tour)
Pick 12: Tonton - Chris Froome ('13 Tour)
Pick 13: Zam Olyas - Tony Rominger ('95 Giro)
Pick 14: Netserk - Piotr Ugrumov ('94 Tour)
Pick 15: burning - Richard Virenque ('97 Tour)
Pick 16: zlev11 - Floyd Landis ('06 Tour)
Pick 17: The Green Monkey - Alex Zülle ('95 Tour)
Pick 18: The Sceptic - Santi Pérez ('04 Vuelta)
Pick 19: The Hitch - Michael Rasmussen ('07 Tour)
Pick 20: Libertine Seguros - Laurent Jalabert ('95 Vuelta)

Round 3

Pick 21: Ciranda - Frank Vandenbroucke ('99 Vuelta)
Pick 22: Tonton - Alexander Vinokourov ('03 Tour)
Pick 23: Zam Olyas - Denis Menchov ('09 Giro)
Pick 24: Netserk - Pavel Tonkov ('98 Giro)
Pick 25: burning - Gilberto Simoni ('03 Giro)
Pick 26: zlev11 - Riccardo Ricco ('08 Tour)
Pick 27: The Green Monkey - Ivan Gotti ('97 Giro)
Pick 28: The Sceptic - Chris Horner ('13 Vuelta)
Pick 29: The Hitch - Nairo Quintana ('13 Tour)
Pick 30: Libertine Seguros -

Round 4

Pick 31: Libertine Seguros -
Pick 32: The Hitch -
Pick 33: The Sceptic -
Pick 34: The Green Monkey -
Pick 35: zlev11 -
Pick 36: burning -
Pick 37: Netserk -
Pick 38: Zam Olyas -
Pick 39: Tonton -
Pick 40: Ciranda -

Now it is time for Libertine to make two picks, or provide us with two riddles.

Re:

mortand said:
Since technically, you didn't mention the rider being active in the 1990's (or maybe you did, I lost it somewhere among the posts), I'm going with a rider born in 1990, who's the quintessential climber, finished 2nd in Le Tour to a dominant rider, and won the polkadots. I might have missed a vital hint somewhere, but that's my bet.

Very well done.
I had hoped to play you guys along a little bit longer but you managed to get straight to the key points.

Also well done to hrotha and netserk for slowly picking my clues apart and coming up with some great interpretations (the classic des alpes lolololol)

Ps guys. I wasn't being that obtuse. "Maybe he only came 2nd on a stage" "maybe he only wore the polkas for a day" lol. That would have been harsh. Everything I said was 100% true. Just the context of the discussion allowed me to sell a different reading of "from the 1990's" to y'all while the similarities between as and cc and Quintana took over.

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
mortand said:

Very well done.
I had hoped to play you guys along a little bit longer but you managed to get straight to the key points.

Also well done to hrotha and netserk for slowly picking my clues apart and coming up with some great interpretations (the classic des alpes lolololol)

Ps guys. I wasn't being that obtuse. "Maybe he only came 2nd on a stage" "maybe he only wore the polkas for a day" lol. That would have been harsh. Everything I said was 100% true. Just the context of the discussion allowed me to sell a different reading of "from the 1990's" to y'all while the similarities between as and cc and Quintana took over.

Surely his "most famous victory was also an epic lone breakaway in the Alpes" is not 100% true. The overall GC of that Giro is probably his most famous victory, if not his stage win in the Tour.

Yeah I guess the gc win itself is more famous than the stage that got him the gc. If that was what caught you out I'm sorry since that wasn't my intention. I honestly didn't think of it that pedantically. I meant on the road win and honestly when I think of Quintana I think of the 60k breakaway over the stelvio in the snow that became a mega cycling controversy and had tinkov going mad with rage, in a move that turned a gt on it's head and blew up the gc, more than a 500m from the end sprint victory up a normal mtf in a race where the victory was already decided.

TRENDING THREADS