• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

fantasy doping draft

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So now there's just 9 picks before it's my turn again. I guess the 4 riders I hope to be able to choose from will be reduced to 2 or 1.

It's also starting to get harder from now on. Not to mention that team will still have to be somewhat balanced.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
3rd round, maybe not the best pick available, but I am going to go with another personal favourite here, Chris Horner (2013 vuelta)

Chris-Horner-Vuelta-008.jpg

I don't think even jens_attacks in his wildest dreams could have predicted Horner was going to win the 2013 vuelta. After the hillarious 13' tour that melted down the CN servers, Horner somehow managed to top that with an even more blatantly doped performance. And best of all, there was no evidence, so sky fans and new generations everywhere had to pretend Horner was clean.

Other than being one of the most obvious dopers ever, Horner did also put up some very impressive power numbers, especially his performance on Angliru where he did the 2nd fastest time ever. He isn't going to be a GC contender in this draft of course, but with Horner and Santi I have two excellent climbers to help Ullrich in the mountains, or go for stage wins.

Round 1

Pick 1: Libertine Seguros - Miguel Indurain ('95 Tour)
Pick 2: The Hitch - Lance Armstrong ('04 Tour)
Pick 3: The Sceptic - Jan Ullrich ('97 Tour)
Pick 4: The Green Monkey - Alberto Contador ('09 Tour)
Pick 5: zlev11 - Marco Pantani ('99 Giro)
Pick 6: burning - Bjarne Riis ('96 Tour)
Pick 7: Netserk - Ivan Basso ('06 Giro)
Pick 8: Zam Olyas - Gianni Bugno ('90 Giro)
Pick 9: Tonton - Evgeni Berzin ('94 Giro)
Pick 10: Ciranda - Roberto Heras ('04 Vuelta)

Round 2

Pick 11: Ciranda - Tyler Hamilton ('03 Tour)
Pick 12: Tonton - Chris Froome ('13 Tour)
Pick 13: Zam Olyas - Tony Rominger ('95 Giro)
Pick 14: Netserk - Piotr Ugrumov ('94 Tour)
Pick 15: burning - Richard Virenque ('97 Tour)
Pick 16: zlev11 - Floyd Landis ('06 Tour)
Pick 17: The Green Monkey - Alex Zülle ('95 Tour)
Pick 18: The Sceptic - Santi Pérez ('04 Vuelta)
Pick 19: The Hitch - Michael Rasmussen ('07 Tour)
Pick 20: Libertine Seguros - Laurent Jalabert ('95 Vuelta)

Round 3

Pick 21: Ciranda - Frank Vandenbroucke ('99 Vuelta)
Pick 22: Tonton - Alexander Vinokourov ('03 Tour)
Pick 23: Zam Olyas - Denis Menchov ('09 Giro)
Pick 24: Netserk - Pavel Tonkov ('98 Giro)
Pick 25: burning - Gilberto Simoni ('03 Giro)
Pick 26: zlev11 - Riccardo Ricco ('08 Tour)
Pick 27: The Green Monkey - Ivan Gotti ('97 Giro)
Pick 28: The Sceptic - Chris Horner ('13 Vuelta)
Pick 29: The Hitch -
Pick 30: Libertine Seguros -

Round 4

Pick 31: Libertine Seguros -
Pick 32: The Hitch -
Pick 33: The Sceptic -
Pick 34: The Green Monkey -
Pick 35: zlev11 -
Pick 36: burning -
Pick 37: Netserk -
Pick 38: Zam Olyas -
Pick 39: Tonton -
Pick 40: Ciranda -

I've chosen my rider but I want to test people's knowledge and see if they can work out who it is.

Its a rider who I thought was going to go a lot earlier as his name has been discussed a bit in the clinic.

Netserk suggested to me that I pick "I am number four" (assuming that is the recently retired climber he meant, and not the other recently retired climber who i was also considering).
Its a good suggestion and I'll pick a similar rider, but I am going to the 90's. (I wanted to pick an all noughties team but in the end principles are there to be broken, if a good pick is still on the board). Like netserk's suggestion, my pick also knows what it feels like to come 2nd (though unlike numberfour, who gave up the chance to take the kom by refusing to contest a sprint, my guy was able to compensate with polkas). He is the quintessential climber, but not as good at the tts, and his most famous victory was also an epic lone breakaway in the Alpes. In short very similar riders, but my guy is smaller and from a different generation.

And I will take the Tour de France version.

Maybe I made it too easy. If so I'll make it harder next time.

So when you finally took one from the 90's you took one from one of the slowest years of it? :p Surely he was stronger two years later.

I see we talk about the same rider, but I'm not sure why you call him "I am number four". I think it was more the slow pace he did with his brother that cost him the kom, as I doubt he could win or place 2nd in that sprint even if he tried.

Ah maybe it was before you joined that we had a brief thread laughing about it. When I saw the advert I thought the exact same thing and others did too cos we had a thread about it.

This should explain it. (posting the pic here would be tantamount to naming the rider) http://www.dreamworksstudios.com/files/945_d_19381_r.jpg

As for faster 2 years later? Huh. Are we talking about the same rider? 2nd in the Tour to one of the most dominant riders ever wasn't fast enough?

Yeah, you are right.

About the reference, not the rider. The movie was some dumb chick kick flick or something. I didn't watch it and I don't think anyone did. It just had a some adverts in the post TDF aftermath and it really looked like our guy was in the movie.

viewtopic.php?t=12554

The rider, btw, I reiterate is wrong. That is NOT who I am talking about or picking.

I don't know, I didn't see the movie. Basically the movie was called "I am number four" and the advert just had that guy walking around for a minute. It was clear he was the main protagonist of the movie and he looked a lot like a certain cyclist.

Which is why instead of saying said cyclists name I called him "I am number four". No big deal.

Anyway you want another crack at guessing who my pick is ;)

TRENDING THREADS